PDA

View Full Version : Using "default.lws"?

jeric_synergy
12-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Anybody using "default.lws" habitually? It doesn't seem to work here.

Also, do you have to have a copy of it in your current Content Directory, or does it search back in the app folder??

Ma3rk
12-10-2017, 06:39 PM
Ya know, I was dealing with this yesterday with 2015.3. Thought I had it sorted out & working, but now it only kind of of is.

I've a default.lws in the root of my content folder and one in the /Scenes folder. The Save Default scene option picks the /Scene folder under current content folder. Even so, deleting BOTH & firing up Layout reverts to most of what I had last set, but not all. My default camera is retained, and viewport choice, but I'd really like it if the Auto Key would stay on Modified but it keeps setting to All Channels even if I now save the default.lws.

The really odd thing is that with LW 11.6,2, that works. It's always something, isn't it?

jeric_synergy
12-10-2017, 07:07 PM
The bloody "content folder" mis-feature has been pissing me off for a decade.

So, when Layout starts on your system, which is it loading? Or is it at all.

The dox seem to be wrong, but at this point I'm not even sure how it's SUPPOSED to work.

Ma3rk
12-10-2017, 09:37 PM
The bloody "content folder" mis-feature has been pissing me off for a decade.

So, when Layout starts on your system, which is it loading? Or is it at all.

The dox seem to be wrong, but at this point I'm not even sure how it's SUPPOSED to work.

I'm not sure as I deleted both to test, yet it still loaded as if it was still there. My indicator is that I set the Liberty 3D Perspective cam as the default and that was still in place. I did a system search to see if there was another default.lws lurking somewhere such as C:\Users\... but nothing.

On a plus note, and I'm not sure why, but my getting an additional Additional tab when simply opening the Edit Plugins panel has stopped.

jeric_synergy
12-10-2017, 10:30 PM
On a plus note, and I'm not sure why, but my getting an additional Additional tab when simply opening the Edit Plugins panel has stopped.
::tears metaphorical hair out::

RudySchneider
12-11-2017, 07:50 AM
::tears metaphorical hair out::

This is VERY telling, Jeric! At least as opposed to "metaphorically tears hair out."

Sounds like you may be like me, with virtually (ignoring VR) no hair --- metaphoric or otherwise --- to tear (or even tweeze)!

MonroePoteet
12-11-2017, 08:58 AM
Yes, I use default.lws consistently, and for me the one loaded is in the Scenes subfolder. For example, when I use Package Scene to upload a scene to these forums, I package it to my C:\Temp folder, which creates Objects, Scenes and potential other subfolders. The created Scenes folder does NOT contain the default.lws, so when I Clear Scene, a generic default scene is loaded. As soon as I set my current content folder back to my working folder, then use Clear Scene, I get my expected default scene.

The biggest problem I have with default.lws is *accidentally* using Save All before Save As..., reflexively clicking the OK on "Save as default.lws" and "Save All Object", polluting my default scene. I wish it was "write-locked" unless I actually used Save As Default.

mTp

jeric_synergy
12-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes, I use default.lws consistently, and for me the one loaded is in the Scenes subfolder. {CUT}
mTp
OF the current content folder, right?

IIRC (#aflw), the documentation is incorrect on this. Personally, I'd prefer it to work as the dox say (going back to the APPLICATION folder) because, YMMV, it seems more "defaulty" that way.

OTOH, there's something to be said for PROJECT-BY-PROJECT 'defaults', so the "current Content Folder mode" has some utility also. ::sigh::

I think a double-check for overwriting "default.lws" specifically unless by "Save As Default" would not be unreasonable.

MonroePoteet
12-11-2017, 11:01 AM
OF the current content folder, right?

Yes, that's correct.

IIRC (#aflw), the documentation is incorrect on this. Personally, I'd prefer it to work as the dox say (going back to the APPLICATION folder) because, YMMV, it seems more "defaulty" that way.

OTOH, there's something to be said for PROJECT-BY-PROJECT 'defaults', so the "current Content Folder mode" has some utility also. ::sigh::

I think there's a lot of value in "Content Folder Specific" default scenes. For example, someone doing archviz one day and product pieces the next and space scenes the next might want "domain specific" default scenes.

But, it'd be *NICE* if LW would "go up the tree" and if the current content Scenes folder doesn't have a default.lws, and there's an upper level Scenes folder which DOES contain one, use that. E.g.:

C:\Newtek

\Scenes<----- use default.lws from here

Space Stuff

\Scenes <------ if there isn't one here

I think a double-check for overwriting "default.lws" specifically unless by "Save As Default" would not be unreasonable.

Agreed!

mTp

jeric_synergy
12-11-2017, 07:07 PM
But, it'd be *NICE* if LW would "go up the tree" and if the current content Scenes folder doesn't have a default.lws, and there's an upper level Scenes folder which DOES contain one, use that. E.g.:

Yes, that's EXACTLY the way it should be handled. Nice one. Submit it!!!

And if there isn't ANY "default.lws" in the current Content Directory, anywhere, it would look in the Application root.

BeeVee
12-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Hi all,

The documentation has been corrected. If in doubt about whether you are going to overwrite your default scene, you can always remove write access to default.lws, no? :)

B

jeric_synergy
12-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Hi all,
The documentation has been corrected. If in doubt about whether you are going to overwrite your default scene, you can always remove write access to default.lws, no? :)
B

Software should be CODED, that is , BUILT in such a way as to assist the user. If overwriting a special-case scene file is EASY, the software should have special-case handling in place.

"Oh, you overwrote that? Yeah, that's really easy to do in this software. Too bad."

Ma3rk
12-20-2017, 06:17 PM
[/QUOTE=On a plus note, and I'm not sure why, but my getting an additional Additional tab when simply opening the Edit Plugins panel has stopped./QUOTE]

Well, it's doing it again. Haven't added or changed anything; just opened some scenes, checked a couple of things & exited.

Sure hope to Hell this sort of nonsense has been addressed in the upcoming 2018 version.