PDA

View Full Version : Snow. Lots of it.

shrox
12-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Hendersonville, NC.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-08-2017, 10:12 PM
Hendersonville, NC.

Awesome. Seems early in the season for that much snow that far south.

Ma3rk
12-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Much better than all the fires we're having in SoCal certainly.

prometheus
12-09-2017, 06:11 AM
Nice view in time for christmas there shrox, over here in stockholm we got nothing currently, we got a similar day of snow in november, but it rained away, it really varies a lot some years we get very little snow..or quite a lot, the forecast predicts a really cold winter and snow of course...but they have been wrong about that some times.

What is always there though, that is the cloudy lock that almost always exist here, with the exceptions of some days when the sun is out and itīs usually cold and sparkly ..but great to be out in the sun and in the snow, but mostly that cloudy lock over the city that prevents the sunlight most of the days from november to late march, so all that darkness without light is really something that is some of the worst things in stockholm and in sweden in general I think.

So how long do you think this snow will last that you got over there?

adrian
12-11-2017, 05:46 AM
Utterly jealous. Today we had some unexpected wet snow rubbish that just about started to stick on the grass for a while but no doubt that'll be our lot for the winter (or pseudo winter as it is in these times of global warming).

MichaelT
12-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Well it started coming today in Stockholm at least, let's hope it lasts for a little while at least. Where I come from in Sweden -40, +1 meter isn't unusual. But here, it causes all kinds of havoc if there is even the slightest hint of a snowflake. Which is entertaining in itself ;)

MichaelT
12-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Utterly jealous. Today we had some unexpected wet snow rubbish that just about started to stick on the grass for a while but no doubt that'll be our lot for the winter (or pseudo winter as it is in these times of global warming).

Not to be that guy, but historically speaking.. we are returning to a normal climate. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologic_temperature_record#/media/File:All_palaeotemps.svg) I have no doubt we contribute to climate increase. But at best we have only sped up the inevitable. We should spend more time preparing for what will come, rather than fruitlessly trying to stop something we can't control. Let alone waste time pointing fingers. The ability for human hubris is quite impressive. I think we're wasting time we don't have, as we are ill equipped to deal with what will come. That's all I will say on the matter.

ActionBob
12-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Colorado been pretty dry as well.. High country getting some snow, but dry around the Denver area...

-Adrian

sami
12-12-2017, 12:30 AM
I've always found it weird when someone deep within their country displays their flag on their house when it's not a holiday like independence day - as if it's a reminder where they live or a neighborhood ad of who's patriotic.

jeric_synergy
12-12-2017, 12:38 AM
I've always found it weird when someone deep within their country displays their flag on their house when it's not a holiday like independence day - as if it's a reminder where they live or a neighborhood ad of who's patriotic.
I'm that way with utility vehicles. Does every city power utility truck need a national flag on it? It's dumb.

Anyway, I'm 'wayyy more into my state than the nation right now. Also, our state flag is so restful on the eyes.

adrian
12-12-2017, 02:46 AM
There's a house with an ENGLAND flag (ie not Union Jack) outside it in my village but that's really unusual. In fact it's really unusual to have a national flag at all unless it's a World Cup or European Championship that England are playing in and then every Tom, Dick & Harry has England flags on their cars and outside houses.

Back on topic, we had a <sarcasm> really cold night last night with temperatures reaching a bone chilling -3 </sarcasm>, words of a local weather forecaster. Bone chilling to me is -20 with a windchill making it feel like -40. We had a little snow left over from yesterday so at least everything looked seasonal this morning :-)

shrox
12-12-2017, 08:50 AM

Yes, US flags are everywhere here...yet most people that display them, or wrap themselves in it have no idea about the US Flag Code, which describes how to properly display it (wrapping it around a person is prohibited, so is wearing it on clothes, except as an arm patch.) The home owners association where I live prohibits any flag except the US Flag.

I would prefer this...

shrox
12-19-2017, 07:48 AM
Snow is all gone.