PDA

View Full Version : Export UV Texture Maps??

circleofsmoke
12-02-2017, 08:39 AM
Does anyone know how you export UV maps with alembic data? - me and a friend are trying to export physics animations for 3DS max but he tells me there are no texture maps when he loads the alembic files. cant seem to find much on the net or in the manual. I dont understand 3DS so can reall

Thanks for any tips

Cheers

John

Sensei
12-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Maybe it's the same like with OBJ file format?
You need to use T-button in Color in Surface Editor, make image layer, pick up UV mapping, pick up UV from drop-down list, pick up image..

circleofsmoke
12-03-2017, 04:30 AM
The model definitely has a UV map assigned I created a simple cube in modeler painted the faces with numbers in substance designer, shattered it and yes the map is there. Export alembic and import nothing there. I export fbx and obj imported both into a scene with the alembic file and the map shows up in the alembic T panel selected the same map and image and it just presents as grey

rustythe1
12-03-2017, 06:46 AM
i think you need to reassign the map in 3d max, the uv will be there but the image probably not, you can try and move the image into the same folder as well, i think its because it exports a relative path so if you send it to someone else it cant locate the image (sometimes it will not even try) like they say above you just need to reassign a surface, add the image and select the correct uv, but you should not have to make a new uv

Ryan Roye
12-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Does anyone know how you export UV maps with alembic data?

Last I read, Alembic does not transfer materials or textures, only the UV maps. This means that if you want the object surfaced, you need to pull that information from a different file format (usually FBX). In other words, FBX takes care of the textures/materials, while Alembic takes care of the geometry and animation. You'll likely need both FBX and Alembic to do a complete transfer if your object includes more than just bone animation.

circleofsmoke
12-03-2017, 11:12 AM
update - I seem to have fixed it after re-reading the manual I see that the format only allows one map to be exported if there are two it just takes the first - I noticed I had an unused map in the model deleted it in re exported. The alembic format didnt respect the name I gave the map but showed a generic "UV map" option which displayed the baked image fine.

circleofsmoke
12-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Going over to my friend's house tomorrow to see what happens at his end :-)