PDA

View Full Version : Please update FBX in LightWave Next

MarcusM
11-30-2017, 05:31 AM
I can't import FBX in 2015.3, exported from Maya, Maya LT and Blender... unsupported file type or something with quick time... Correct FBX exchange between other software is very important.

lardbros
11-30-2017, 05:50 AM
Are you exporting your FBX with the correct version though? LW 2015.3 only supports up to v2015 of FBX I think.

I've not had many issues importing FBX from 3dsMax into 3ds Max.

MarcusM
11-30-2017, 06:04 AM
Are you exporting your FBX with the correct version though? LW 2015.3 only supports up to v2015 of FBX I think.

I've not had many issues importing FBX from 3dsMax into 3ds Max.

My point is sometimes i get assets from other team and can't ask for special version because something is not working in LW but importin in Blender and Maya LT.

MichaelT
11-30-2017, 07:03 AM
Exporting to the correct version for any target program is very important. UE4 doesn't support all FBX versions, Blender doesn't support all FBX versions etc.. You need to check with the program you are going to use, what it supports before actually exporting to it. And this is true for all types of exports in any program really.

MichaelT
11-30-2017, 07:06 AM
My point is sometimes i get assets from other team and can't ask for special version because something is not working in LW but importin in Blender and Maya LT.

You can't use in LW, but you can in Blender? That I find hard to believe.. Blenders FBX is very old (v7) . LW supports 2014. Then it must be something else.. What exactly is it you can't get to work? It sounds like it have something to do with LW not supporting something natively to begin with.

Update: Hmm.. seems Blender is updated to 7.4.

Regardless.

It still sounds like something else.

Maybe this chart can help you pinpoint (this chart is for the version LW supports): http://download.autodesk.com/us/support/files/autodesk_3ds_max_2014_fbx_interoperability_chart.p df

hrgiger
11-30-2017, 08:15 AM
Another reason i picked up Modo. Latest version11.2 has support for FBX 2018. It was updated last cycle as well to support instances.

gerry_g
11-30-2017, 08:16 AM
yes its the 7.4 SDK and it should be able to read and write all the way down to 7.1, which would be enough to accommodate LW, but I bet it would only be able to do that if the people at Blender decide to compile for all of those additional versions and given that every other major package has at least 7.4 by now the Blender guys are wondering why they should bother, worse the latest FBX has jumped from 32 bit to 64, that will really make LW FBX useless.

bobakabob
11-30-2017, 11:12 AM
Exporting to the correct version for any target program is very important. UE4 doesn't support all FBX versions, Blender doesn't support all FBX versions etc.. You need to check with the program you are going to use, what it supports before actually exporting to it. And this is true for all types of exports in any program really.

Yes, check the Maya fbx export options, theres’s a drop down menu for dates. No problems here working between Maya and Lightwave though I haven’t tried exporting splines / hair strands. I can imagine they’re problematic if nurb based and not sure you can turn them into 2 point polys in Maya, it doesn’t have that facility...