PDA

View Full Version : 1) Lens flares in VPR: worked, then did not / 2) Engine flares, 'glow cloud'?

jeric_synergy
11-28-2017, 10:21 PM
1) I was whipping up a VERY cheezy engine flare for a space thingy (it is rubbish) and using VPR to dial it in. Once I switched on VPR in vprt #2 (upr right), the flare quit rendering in VPR, even after I turned it off everywhere, and then turned it back on in vprt#1 (upp left). --I often find things tend to default in specific ways to the upper left vport, which I believe is actually #0.

Anyway, is there a way to get it back in VPR? It's not perfect, but it's fast.

2) As I've messed with this, I'm thinking lens flare isn't the way to go: for this shot, the camera will never be pointed down (up?) the nozzle of the engines, and the flare is really more of a cloud around the base of this blocky structure toddling thru space. Something more along the lines of a "hemispherical glowing cloud-ish thing" might be better. Is this best approached thru using a volumetric light? I tend to avoid them because of their horrendous render times.

Tnx! :thumbsup:

prometheus
11-29-2017, 08:36 AM
1) I was whipping up a VERY cheezy engine flare for a space thingy (it is rubbish) and using VPR to dial it in. Once I switched on VPR in vprt #2 (upr right), the flare quit rendering in VPR, even after I turned it off everywhere, and then turned it back on in vprt#1 (upp left). --I often find things tend to default in specific ways to the upper left vport, which I believe is actually #0.

Anyway, is there a way to get it back in VPR? It's not perfect, but it's fast.

2) As I've messed with this, I'm thinking lens flare isn't the way to go: for this shot, the camera will never be pointed down (up?) the nozzle of the engines, and the flare is really more of a cloud around the base of this blocky structure toddling thru space. Something more along the lines of a "hemispherical glowing cloud-ish thing" might be better. Is this best approached thru using a volumetric light? I tend to avoid them because of their horrendous render times.

Tnx! :thumbsup:

I'm not at the computer right now. .
But I am pretty sure you need a camera viewport for lens flares to work. .not perspective or ortho viewports without any camera.

Volumetric lights are much faster in lw 2015
You can also use sprite mode for them...or go with geometry and luminous texturing.

MonroePoteet
11-29-2017, 09:16 AM
As prometheus suggests, a single Sprite Hypervoxel with no Texture stretched in Z (or the appropriate axis) by 1000% and with a Luminosity of 3000% might be something to look into, or something similar.

mTp

prometheus
11-29-2017, 12:49 PM
As prometheus suggests, a single Sprite Hypervoxel with no Texture stretched in Z (or the appropriate axis) by 1000% and with a Luminosity of 3000% might be something to look into, or something similar.

mTp

Actually I ment and refered to the sprite mode within the volumetric light and not hypervoxels, though You can use that as well, but I think it may be better to use a proper light with attenuation and proper rotation rather than fiddling with a null and trying to get rotation matching engine flares.

I get something around 0,2 sec in rendering time (sprite mode), and if I turn off volumetric aliasing in volumetric options(sprite mode), down to 0,1 sec in sprite mode, if I turn off volumetric aa in (volumetric mode) for the light, I get 0,2 seconds, and with volumetric AA in the (volumetric light mode), I get 0,4 seconds.
I donīt see that as an issue for my machine anyway :)

then you could try the old laser trick and use gradients combined with textures on geometry based flat polys in x-shape form, you know the trick many uses for babylon 5 lasers, which most likely can be enhanced to work for engine exhaust.
And quality is set to good on those examples, jittering samples.

prometheus
11-29-2017, 01:12 PM
I would recomend using the full volume mode though to avoid uggly clipping effects, and you can use a simple radial gradient mask (a simple white brush) and enable use textures and use that, set projection to cubic..no axis coordinate needed, or planar which requires z-axis checked.
set width and Height tile to edge/edge or reset.

prometheus
11-29-2017, 01:48 PM
to further make it clear to use volumetric lights and have them render faster, turn off volumetric aa for stuff like jet engines, but keep em if you want good quality with soft light running through a window etc.
And check use texture only, and if you by any chance use some of the distant light preset like the neon plasma preset that ships with lightwave, turn of use opacity cast shadows if possible, it is a real slow down with that active.