PDA

View Full Version : Adobe CC users: 20% off-- save in the coming year

jeric_synergy
11-28-2017, 10:01 PM
OK, my local AE user group, which is IN the Adobe HQ, says this is legit. Saves you U$120/yr if you're a CC user:

"In case you didn't know, there's a 20% off CC membership right now. If you contact support,
they can walk you through cancelling your current membership without any cancellation fees
and enrolling you in a new membership at the discounted rate. Your account remains the same,
no data is changed. I have a portfolio site, which remained untouched."

U$120, that's like 30 lattes.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/aeseattle/?fref=nf

Chris S. (Fez)
11-29-2017, 04:56 AM
Hmm. Thanks.

Reco
11-29-2017, 07:13 AM
I contacted the support/chat, and they told me: "I really apologize, but it is only applicable for the new customers".

Reco

Paul_Boland
11-29-2017, 07:18 AM
I have Master Collection CS6 and it works perfectly fine and doesn't cost me any money :)!!

Reco
11-29-2017, 08:53 AM
I contacted the support again and pasted the: "In case you didn't know,......
Support handed me over to someone who told me to purchase the 20% plan using a different mail account.
I followed the instruction and was forwarded back to support in order to cancel my existing account.
It took a while, but I'm now on the 20% discount plan.

Thank you for letting us know.

Reco

Ma3rk
11-29-2017, 09:10 AM
I have Master Collection CS6 and it works perfectly fine and doesn't cost me any money :)!!

... nor have to put up with "new & improved" bugs, features & tools getting removed that were introduced only a version or so before, and SDK's not getting released in timely manner for 3rd party developers and breaking things mid project.

Ever do a pricing of what 1 year of renting the CC version of everything in the CS6 collection ( I have the Production Suite)? There are some features only now after being out for several years that are of interest, and some newer scripts & plug-ins only available in the CC versions (Ae, Pr mostly), but most have a work around or requires just a little extra work to resolve from my experience anyway.

"Customer Support". HA! I had an issue some years ago, called and end up getting bounced to 8 or 9 different people before finally getting a simple answer. All of those folk on payroll that didn't have a clue. Loosing money mainly due to piracy? Try looking at your own organization Adobe.

squarewulf
11-29-2017, 10:42 AM
"Customer Support". HA! I had an issue some years ago, called and end up getting bounced to 8 or 9 different people before finally getting a simple answer. All of those folk on payroll that didn't have a clue. Loosing money mainly due to piracy? Try looking at your own organization Adobe.

Yeah, it's a joke. Had an issue with an app crashing every time i opened it. Adobe "support" said it was something wrong with my project files (EVERY ONE??) after sending them countless project files and letting them remote into my computer. Took problems into my own hands, solved it within an hour... was a corrupt font file installed on my computer.

jeric_synergy
11-29-2017, 11:32 AM
It is what it is-- I included a link so you can check yourself.

Spinland
11-29-2017, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the tip, jeric. For my part I have to have the "latest and greatest" CC at all times to be compatible with my film industry clients, and the cost is a tax deductible expense so it's all in the noise. For folks who want to have a current CC subscription and who might be paying out-of-pocket for it a 20% discount is pretty sweet, indeed. :jam:

jeric_synergy
11-29-2017, 12:32 PM
I contacted the support again and pasted the: "In case you didn't know,......
Support handed me over to someone who told me to purchase the 20% plan using a different mail account.
I followed the instruction and was forwarded back to support in order to cancel my existing account.
It took a while, but I'm now on the 20% discount plan.
Thank you for letting us know.
Reco
My pleasure: I think we'll need all the help we can get in the next 3 years.

I did it all thru CHAT, although I probably should have asked about moving some MUSE files to the new account first..... d'oh!... hanging online to straighten that out, although TBH it's not like I've looked at them for a year.

Paul_Boland
11-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Ever do a pricing of what 1 year of renting the CC version of everything in the CS6 collection ( I have the Production Suite)? There are some features only now after being out for several years that are of interest, and some newer scripts & plug-ins only available in the CC versions (Ae, Pr mostly), but most have a work around or requires just a little extra work to resolve from my experience anyway.

Just checked the price, it is €587.30 a year for everything. I bought Master Collection CS6 when I was back in college and got the whole lot for €700. I'm not a fan at all of subscription software. So, just to everyone else here, I have read on a few forums that while CS6 is no longer for sale on the Adobe website, they do still sell it but you have to ring their sales department and ask for it. They will try to sell you the subscription CC but if you say you want CS6 you'll get it. Yes, it is CS6, it's a few years old, but it still all works. Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc., etc., etc. It will save you on the yearly subscription :).

mch
11-29-2017, 05:46 PM
Just checked the price, it is 587.30 a year for everything. I bought Master Collection CS6 when I was back in college and got the whole lot for 700. I'm not a fan at all of subscription software. So, just to everyone else here, I have read on a few forums that while CS6 is no longer for sale on the Adobe website, they do still sell it but you have to ring their sales department and ask for it. They will try to sell you the subscription CC but if you say you want CS6 you'll get it. Yes, it is CS6, it's a few years old, but it still all works. Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc., etc., etc. It will save you on the yearly subscription :).

Yeah.
I am really happy I stopped my subscriptions mid last year.
Since CC2014 things got broken and slowed down.
After more than 20 years I switched to alternatives . . .
Still having a CS6 package license I did not touch Adobe products for a while now.
Davinci Resolve 14 Studio is a permanent license half the yearly subscription giving me fast editing and color correction without any roundtripping headaches . . .
Fusion Studio 8 also went down in price replacing AE compositing and adding lots of options in the Nuke (X) range . . .
Affinity Photo and Designer made PS and AI obsolete . . . now it is fun again to do these things . . .
. . .
Of course it takes a while to switch but it is worth it not only money wise.

I only can encourage you all to rethink your choices.
The alternatives are all around.

Regards,

Marcus

m.d.
11-29-2017, 06:43 PM
pro tip...

cancel...they will then give you 2 months for free, and bring you back at 20% off.
Standard offer they do...you basically can get 2 months free a year if you just phone in to cancel...save at least $150 a year

m.d.
11-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Yeah.
I am really happy I stopped my subscriptions mid last year.
After more than 20 years I switched to alternatives . . .
Still having a CS6 package license I did not touch Adobe products for a while now.
Davinci Resolve 14 Studio is a permanent license half the yearly subscription giving me fast editing and color correction without any roundtripping headaches . . .
Fusion Studio 8 also went down in price replacing AE compositing and adding lots of options in the Nuke (X) range . . .
Affinity Photo and Designer made PS and AI obsolete . . . now it is fun again to do these things . . .
. . .
Of course it takes a while to switch but it is worth it not only money wise.

I only can encourage you all to rethink your choices.
The alternatives are all around.

Regards,

Marcus

exact same boat as you...
Full license of resolve...
Fusion 9 (bought fusion way back when it was still $5k)
Affinity photo

All of these easily better than CS6, which I own as well.
Newer CC adobe products will still have a slight speed advantage PPro over resolve, and newest PS will always be king....but affinity is close behind
AE vs Fusion are entirely different beasts....AE still wins for motion graphics, but can be done in Fusion. Fusion kills it in all other VFX

erikals
11-30-2017, 01:31 AM
this was one of my (and others') main points about the Subscription idiocy.

no "revert" to version function, forced updates, incompatibility, dependency, low security.
just to name a few.
it will happen to AutoDesk too.

Spinland
11-30-2017, 03:23 AM
I'd love to be free of Adobe's shackles, but that's not usually my call to make. I use several competing applications but, again, they're only useful if all I need do is deliver final product. When I have to interact with an existing pipeline, as in my need to have a current Maya subscription, my hands are proverbially tied. As a solo freelancer I don't usually get to pick the pipeline tools.

Monopolies suck.

mch
11-30-2017, 03:59 AM
exact same boat as you...
Full license of resolve...
Fusion 9 (bought fusion way back when it was still $5k)
Affinity photo

All of these easily better than CS6, which I own as well.
Newer CC adobe products will still have a slight speed advantage PPro over resolve, and newest PS will always be king....but affinity is close behind
AE vs Fusion are entirely different beasts....AE still wins for motion graphics, but can be done in Fusion. Fusion kills it in all other VFX

With Resolve 14 Editing is even slightly faster as it used to be on PPro.
And shooting 4kplus RAW for at least 5 years I even have a notebook on set now with Resolve 14 to playback and check footage realltime.
Of course I miss some of my plug-ins in AE but Fusion Studio has so much more to offer . . .

It depends on your habits and pipeline but is worth consideration . . .

Regards,

Marcus

Reco
11-30-2017, 04:09 AM
Yeah.

I understand people who doesn’t like the subscription business model. I was one of them, but now I look at the subscription model as an option I
didn’t have before. So I do not agree with the statement above.

I’m coming from Avid Media composer, and that software gave me a permanent headache. I could have written a whole book about all issues with that Avid MC.
Adobe is a different story. I have the same feeling with Adobe as I have with Side Effects. Its moving forward. Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition
and Media Encoder are thigh integrated through dynamic link. And Photoshop and Illustrator complete the whole package. Upgrading is easy, and
the upgrades comes on regular basis.

They listen to their customers as well. If you don’t believe me, why not take Walter Murch word for it. At 6:05 if you don’t want to see the
whole clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEN_6E7Pg7A

It is easy to edit in Premiere Pro. It has all the tools you need and more. It is easy to sync sound, and it is easy to mix sound using the Essential sound panel
in Premiere and Audition. Lumetry Color panel is a powerful color correction tool, but I guess it is not up to Resolve. Premiere Pro has a new text tool called
Essential Graphic Panel with a responsive design option. It is more like Photoshop and not a separate window. You can stabilize your footage using Warp
Stabilizer or sending it to After Effects for more options like Camera shake Deblur.

I am a fusion user since the early days, using it mostly for composition. After Effects for Keying and Effects. The AE Keylight keyer is one of the best keyer
in the industry. Better than the previous keyer in Fusion. (Haven’t work with Delta keyer yet).

Ok I will stop here. I do not defend Adobe as a company. I just think they are on the right track when it comes to video/sound production software.
To make it short, it is not broken and has not slowed down.

Reco

erikals
11-30-2017, 04:20 AM
subscription is great when it it works, keeps low cost, doesn't break backward compatibility, doesn't tie the user to subscription, and remains secure.

it will be interesting to see the Adobe / AutoDesk strategy in 10+ years.

MichaelT
11-30-2017, 04:57 AM
If greed is anything to go by, expect to see separations. Like pay for brushes, effects etc..

mch
11-30-2017, 05:04 AM
I'd love to be free of Adobe's shackles, but that's not usually my call to make. I use several competing applications but, again, they're only useful if all I need do is deliver final product. When I have to interact with an existing pipeline, as in my need to have a current Maya subscription, my hands are proverbially tied. As a solo freelancer I don't usually get to pick the pipeline tools.

Monopolies suck.

I totally agree.

But if you have a choice it is time to rethink.
And it goes both ways.
When freelancers switch software tools studios will follow in my experience.
Sooner or later.
Since studios and productions need to cut costs and decide project based on the pipeline they consider the available talent out there and on what software they work on.
I see studios cut their subscriptions and rent monthly when the projects demand.
And they also switch to new seats of perpetual licenses on alternative software when possible.

So.
Things already change . . .

Regards,

Marcus

Spinland
11-30-2017, 05:21 AM
I hear you, Marcus, and I agree. I do advocate for alternatives when folks are willing to listen, and I've successfully pushed LW into more than one gig. I guess my point is that until such successes become the norm I still have to shell out for the subscriptions so as to cover all bases. One day I hope that will change, and I do help to move in that direction, but that day is not today. ;)

mch
11-30-2017, 05:42 AM
I hear you, Marcus, and I agree. I do advocate for alternatives when folks are willing to listen, and I've successfully pushed LW into more than one gig. I guess my point is that until such successes become the norm I still have to shell out for the subscriptions so as to cover all bases. One day I hope that will change, and I do help to move in that direction, but that day is not today. ;)

Yes !
It is important to make people aware of the upcoming opportunities.
It takes time to convince and show what is possible.
Of course the ''norm'' continues for a while and it really depends on the circumstances.

Today is not the day . ... but the future is now ;-)

Regards,

Marcus

jeric_synergy
11-30-2017, 09:28 AM
Monopolies suck.
Considering all the alternatives that people continuously post here as they whine about subscriptions, I'd hardly call Adobe "a monopoly".

That it's the market leader and clients often request files in their formats is undeniable, hardly a monopoly.

Spinland
11-30-2017, 10:38 AM
Considering all the alternatives that people continuously post here as they whine about subscriptions, I'd hardly call Adobe "a monopoly".

Not in the most pedantic sense of the word, no, but their market position is akin to that of various US cable companies. There are sufficient barriers to entry (different between Adobe and my analogy, but similar in scope). "Monopolistic behavior" might be more accurate. When the rubber meets the ramp the pressure on the consumer to comply rather than be in control is similar.