PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Lightwave....

ribroast
11-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Hello Lightwave community. I have not purchased the program yet, I think the decision has been made that I will do so soon, but I have been on the fence for quite some time now. First let me say that CG is just one of many hobbies for me, I don't expect to get a return on my investment. I have worked in a 3D environment for many years on the engineering side of things, mainly with Solidworks and Autocad, and CG has been a pastime for about 20 years as well. I currently use Silo, Zbrush and Hexagon for my geometry mainly.

The target application for my efforts is mainly Poser (the shame, huh?) Most users of Poser (or Daz) purchase their content ready-made, but I have always made as much of it myself as possible. I make all of the buildings, furniture, and environments myself, and I have recently made my own conforming clothing as well. I bought Zbrush about a year ago, and it is great for a lot of stuff, but in many cases I find it easier to make the base shape in silo first and finish the model in Zbrush. Zbrush is not a program where you would set up a entire scene and render it, it is basically just a modeler. Also, most of the amazing Zbrush images that are out there have very high poly counts. You can make good low poly meshes, but it is a lot more work, and the Zremesher loses a lot of detail the lower you go, so it is hand retopo that is the key. I really have a yearning lately for a more powerful modeler. I have been popping in on the Lightwave site a couple times a year, look around, and check on the price for many years now. Recently, with the current price-point, I am seriously considering it, and I have done a lot of research.

The first issue, I think, is LW dead or not? Coming in from the outside it is worrisome. I have a long history of investing in software that has died. Truespace died a sudden death, and I believe that Poser is near death at the moment. Then there was Eovia, I bought Carrera, Amapi Pro and Hexagon from them shortly before they went under. Carrera and Hex ended up under Daz control, and withered on vine so to speak. Right Hemisphere croaked shortly after I bought Deep Exploration, Deep Paint and Deep UV. Poser and LW seem to be in a similar situation, a lot of loyal users that are active in the forums, but the future of the software is in doubt. I will probably buy it anyways, a lot of LW users in another post stated they would continue to use LW until hardware/OS issues stopped them. I would would happily join that crowd if I do buy LW.

The second issue as I see it is LW does not support physically based materials as of yet. I did see a plug-in that could convert them, but that is not so good as having them supported in the software. Poser has had physically based materials for about two years now, since they implemented Blender's Cycles into Poser. I am mainly interested in LW as a modeler though, so it is not a deal breaker. However, when and if I buy LW I will definitely rig, render, animate with it as well. I know that PBR is a promised feature of LWnext, but everyone here knows the situation with that. (That is to say we don't know, actually)

I was not aware of the fact that LW is split into two separate apps until I really started to research it. I think for me that is OK, I don't know. It depends on how seamless the integration is. I currently use many programs in my workflow, so I don't see myself being too upset about it. I realize that some LW users prefer it that way while others, not so much. More research is required on my part, like actually using the trial, which I am holding off on until after X-mas. When the trial ends I am either buying it or not, so after X-mas would be better timing for me to do that.

One reason I have been on the fence for so long is the lack of information about the software itself. Granted, the price has kept me away, being I am not a professional and I do have other interests as well. What I am saying is NewTek does not promote the product very well. The LW web page is flashy enough at first glance, but I need to see the software in action to get excited about buying it. When you start to dig into the web site you find some videos of a guy making a box, and spinning a rather plain model of a tricycle around. There is a pretty cool mechanical arachnoid model that is everywhere, but I want to see some hard core modeling action, proving to me that the software is very capable. The videos of making a box and translating stuff should be for people who already bought the program, and need to learn some basics. I was disappointed in the actual promotional content on the web site. I was thinking, I can do this with silo, why would I spend the money on Lightwave? I did see some modeling action on YouTube, and I got a little more excited about Lightwave, but I can see why LW is not attracting a lot more new customers. One thing I picked up on from YouTube and this forum is that LW feels very natural to the people who use it. Hexagon is that way, ten minutes in the first time I used it I had that feeling. I'm starting to feel that way with Zbrush now, a year later, but I was busy all summer doing other stuff, to be fair. I have tried Blender, like everyone else, and that natural feeling is just not there. I don't think it will ever get there either, too many cooks in the kitchen maybe.

Decisions, decisions, I am wondering if I should wait until LWnext comes out? I will surly want the physically based materials and any other goodies when it does. The price will go up, that is a gimme. In a lot of cases I've found a more cost effective route is to buy the old version first, then upgrade. The price is considerably hacked right now, but if LW does actually die there will certainly be a huge price drop, on it's last gasp. I really hope that does not happen. I have not been a user yet, but I have been a fan for years, and I would be proud to own it.

So that's my thoughts on Lightwave. I retired a couple years ago, bought a house in a small town on the edge of the wilderness in N Minnesota. It is very cold here in the Winter, and I spend a lot of time indoors doing my CG hobby. I spend some time in the Summer as well, but there is so much stuff to do outdoors here that takes priority. I'm looking at a long Winter and I'm really wanting a more powerful program to make some Sci-Fi with. I don't have a lot of cash to play with, I have to be conservitive, but LW seems to be within reach right now and it is the one program I've wanted for a long time. I have no interest in Autodesk and Blender is just no fun for me. Modo would be nice, but it costs 3X what LW does. Also I have read Modo users comments lately who have switched back to LW because Modo is getting bloated to them, among other reasons. I'm 90% sure that I am sold on getting the program at this point. I want it today, but I have to get some stuff for those Grandkids for X-mas, or I would just not feel right, so I'm waiting until January most likely. I would be interested to hear the thoughts from LW users, pro and con, about the topic. Maybe some of you could push me off of that fence I've been on one way or the other. Thanks!

prometheus
11-26-2017, 01:12 PM
I need to qoute every single word from you here, someday :) and I wonīt include the blank spaces :)
I think you should go back and enter some paragraphs between the sentences, to make it easier to read.

Mind you, we got loads of similar threads and questions about lightwave being dead etc, I think itīs likely that your thread may be moved in there soon by a moderator.

My advice, wait til Lightwave next is out, donīt buy a pig in the sack...go with what you got so far, and try out blender for free..since itīs upcoming version will likely rock the boat for some major commercial software providers.
and also check houdini apprentice, and indie if you find that comforable for you.
But for now...do not invest in something that isnīt out.

hypersuperduper
11-26-2017, 02:40 PM
Pig in the sack... directly translated Swedish expressions are adorable.

prometheus
11-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Pig in the sack... directly translated Swedish expressions are adorable.

:) indeed

bobakabob
11-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Hello Lightwave community. I have not purchased the program yet, I think the decision has been made that I will do so soon, but I have been on the fence for quite some time now. First let me say that CG is just one of many hobbies for me, I don't expect to get a return on my investment. I have worked in a 3D environment for many years on the engineering side of things, mainly with Solidworks and Autocad, and CG has been a pastime for about 20 years as well. I currently use Silo, Zbrush and Hexagon for my geometry mainly. The target application for my efforts is mainly Poser (the shame, huh?) Most users of Poser (or Daz) purchase their content ready-made, but I have always made as much of it myself as possible. I make all of the buildings, furniture, and environments myself, and I have recently made my own conforming clothing as well. I bought Zbrush about a year ago, and it is great for a lot of stuff, but in many cases I find it easier to make the base shape in silo first and finish the model in Zbrush. Zbrush is not a program where you would set up a entire scene and render it, it is basically just a modeler. Also, most of the amazing Zbrush images that are out there have very high poly counts. You can make good low poly meshes, but it is a lot more work, and the Zremesher loses a lot of detail the lower you go, so it is hand retopo that is the key. I really have a yearning lately for a more powerful modeler. I have been popping in on the Lightwave site a couple times a year, look around, and check on the price for many years now. Recently, with the current price-point, I am seriously considering it, and I have done a lot of research.
The first issue, I think, is LW dead or not? Coming in from the outside it is worrisome. I have a long history of investing in software that has died. Truespace died a sudden death, and I believe that Poser is near death at the moment. Then there was Eovia, I bought Carrera, Amapi Pro and Hexagon from them shortly before they went under. Carrera and Hex ended up under Daz control, and withered on vine so to speak. Right Hemisphere croaked shortly after I bought Deep Exploration, Deep Paint and Deep UV. Poser and LW seem to be in a similar situation, a lot of loyal users that are active in the forums, but the future of the software is in doubt. I will probably buy it anyways, a lot of LW users in another post stated they would continue to use LW until hardware/OS issues stopped them. I would would happily join that crowd if I do buy LW.
The second issue as I see it is LW does not support physically based materials as of yet. I did see a plug-in that could convert them, but that is not so good as having them supported in the software. Poser has had physically based materials for about two years now, since they implemented Blender's Cycles into Poser. I am mainly interested in LW as a modeler though, so it is not a deal breaker. However, when and if I buy LW I will definitely rig, render, animate with it as well. I know that PBR is a promised feature of LWnext, but everyone here knows the situation with that. (That is to say we don't know, actually)
I was not aware of the fact that LW is split into two separate apps until I really started to research it. I think for me that is OK, I don't know. It depends on how seamless the integration is. I currently use many programs in my workflow, so I don't see myself being too upset about it. I realize that some LW users prefer it that way while others, not so much. More research is required on my part, like actually using the trial, which I am holding off on until after X-mas. When the trial ends I am either buying it or not, so after X-mas would be better timing for me to do that.
One reason I have been on the fence for so long is the lack of information about the software itself. Granted, the price has kept me away, being I am not a professional and I do have other interests as well. What I am saying is NewTek does not promote the product very well. The LW web page is flashy enough at first glance, but I need to see the software in action to get excited about buying it. When you start to dig into the web site you find some videos of a guy making a box, and spinning a rather plain model of a tricycle around. There is a pretty cool mechanical arachnoid model that is everywhere, but I want to see some hard core modeling action, proving to me that the software is very capable. The videos of making a box and translating stuff should be for people who already bought the program, and need to learn some basics. I was disappointed in the actual promotional content on the web site. I was thinking, I can do this with silo, why would I spend the money on Lightwave? I did see some modeling action on YouTube, and I got a little more excited about Lightwave, but I can see why LW is not attracting a lot more new customers. One thing I picked up on from YouTube and this forum is that LW feels very natural to the people who use it. Hexagon is that way, ten minutes in the first time I used it I had that feeling. I'm starting to feel that way with Zbrush now, a year later, but I was busy all summer doing other stuff, to be fair. I have tried Blender, like everyone else, and that natural feeling is just not there. I don't think it will ever get there either, too many cooks in the kitchen maybe.
Decisions, decisions, I am wondering if I should wait until LWnext comes out? I will surly want the physically based materials and any other goodies when it does. The price will go up, that is a gimme. In a lot of cases I've found a more cost effective route is to buy the old version first, then upgrade. The price is considerably hacked right now, but if LW does actually die there will certainly be a huge price drop, on it's last gasp. I really hope that does not happen. I have not been a user yet, but I have been a fan for years, and I would be proud to own it.
So that's my thoughts on Lightwave. I retired a couple years ago, bought a house in a small town on the edge of the wilderness in N Minnesota. It is very cold here in the Winter, and I spend a lot of time indoors doing my CG hobby. I spend some time in the Summer as well, but there is so much stuff to do outdoors here that takes priority. I'm looking at a long Winter and I'm really wanting a more powerful program to make some Sci-Fi with. I don't have a lot of cash to play with, I have to be conservitive, but LW seems to be within reach right now and it is the one program I've wanted for a long time. I have no interest in Autodesk and Blender is just no fun for me. Modo would be nice, but it costs 3X what LW does. Also I have read Modo users comments lately who have switched back to LW because Modo is getting bloated to them, among other reasons. I'm 90% sure that I am sold on getting the program at this point. I want it today, but I have to get some stuff for those Grandkids for X-mas, or I would just not feel right, so I'm waiting until January most likely. I would be interested to hear the thoughts from LW users, pro and con, about the topic. Maybe some of you could push me off of that fence I've been on one way or the other. Thanks!

If you invest, you get a very powerful app that enables you to model animate and render. It's non subscription, integrates well with other software, works on W7 and 10 and capable of phenomenol professional results. The renderer alone imho is worth the price of admission.

hrgiger
11-26-2017, 04:51 PM
I certainly would not invest in LightWave until we know that it is not in fact dead and that they have a plan moving forward. We've literally been cut off from any type of communication from LWG since their last blog post in February.

jwiede
11-26-2017, 05:42 PM
If you invest, you get a very powerful app that enables you to model animate and render. It's non subscription, integrates well with other software, works on W7 and 10 and capable of phenomenol professional results. The renderer alone imho is worth the price of admission.

There have been reports of issues in W10, incl. UAC conflicts, mouse handling issues, and issues accessing network volumes (often due to "split tokens", a UAC issue). If running Win10, best to try the LW2015 demo and make sure everything important to you works okay before purchase.

hypersuperduper
11-26-2017, 05:43 PM
If you are concerned about the current pricing, and whether or not it will go up or down I would suggest contacting Lightwave3DGroup, and tell them your concerns about buying into a software that may be dead. They may be able to tell you if the current “limited time” $695 price will remain once the new version is actually announced, but hasn’t been released.

They won’t tell us when the new version comes out, but that is a question that they might actually answer.

The mystery surrounding it’s development status notwithstanding, Lightwave is VERY capable, even if it’s modeling tools are a little old fashioned. There is a reason why a lot of us still hang out here when all the cool stuff is happening elsewhere. If you download the demo people on this forum will be happy to help you out with any technical issues you may have.

JohnMarchant
11-26-2017, 06:06 PM
There have been reports of issues in W10, incl. UAC conflicts, mouse handling issues, and issues accessing network volumes (often due to "split tokens", a UAC issue). If running Win10, best to try the LW2015 demo and make sure everything important to you works okay before purchase.

Im runing LW 2015.3, many plugins LWCAD, TFD and a host of others and had no real issues so far with Windows 10.

hrgiger
11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
If you are concerned about the current pricing, and whether or not it will go up or down I would suggest contacting Lightwave3DGroup, and tell them your concerns about buying into a software that may be dead. They may be able to tell you if the current “limited time” $695 price will remain once the new version is actually announced, but hasn’t been released.

They won’t tell us when the new version comes out, but that is a question that they might actually answer.

The mystery surrounding it’s development status notwithstanding, Lightwave is VERY capable, even if it’s modeling tools are a little old fashioned. There is a reason why a lot of us still hang out here when all the cool stuff is happening elsewhere. If you download the demo people on this forum will be happy to help you out with any technical issues you may have.

They've already announced the pricing a couple years ago. And someone wrote them recently and was told it was the same. http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/09/newtek-announces-new-lightwave-pricing/

erikals
11-26-2017, 07:14 PM
like the rest of us 40+ Wavers, i think you'll be just fine with LightWave Next... when it comes out.

https://i.imgur.com/VdDIKfQ.gif

[cricket-sound...cricket-sound...cricket-sound...]

gar26lw
11-26-2017, 07:30 PM
do you mean age or that there are 40 of us left? :-p

shrox
11-26-2017, 07:51 PM
do you mean age or that there are 40 of us left? :-p

Us olde guys...

erikals
11-26-2017, 09:07 PM
do you mean age or that there are 40 of us left?
hah, more like 4  :]

hypersuperduper
11-26-2017, 11:51 PM
They've already announced the pricing a couple years ago. And someone wrote them recently and was told it was the same. http://www.cgchannel.com/2015/09/newtek-announces-new-lightwave-pricing/

Yes, but according to those prices someone could save about 200 bucks by buying 2015 now for $695 and upgrading for $295 vs waiting and just buying the new version for $1195. The question is whether a potential buyer can wait until more concrete signs of the new version arrive, such as a release date, and still get that price. Or if the price of 2015 will go back up to $995 at that point. It may be worth asking Newtek.

Marander
11-27-2017, 01:19 AM
Anybody that still believes a word from LW3DG, specially about pricing and promos is delusional.

And anybody interested in buying LW as a new user should have a look how much up-to-date training material and tutorials are available. Close to none.

Amerelium
11-27-2017, 01:22 AM
As I understand it LW isn't best at anything, but you can do everything. Meaning if you need to everything and anything with a single package, its the best program, specially since methinks it is cheaper than most other packages. There are freeware packages of course, but they're not as polished and accessible - I personally think Blender is a bloody mess.
As for the future developments thing; who cares? As long as the package allows you to do what you need / want now, that's the most important thing.

As with all things: Test it out and find out if it is to your liking. If the trial versions aren't good enough for that, then in my book it is ok to get an 'unofficial' copy, and then buy it if you like it.

Marander
11-27-2017, 01:35 AM
As I understand it LW isn't best at anything, but you can do everything.

It cannot do everything (even with plugins) but it can do a lot for the price.

Is it modern, fun to use, stable or efficient? No, in my opinion not. It lacks behind 10-20 years compared to modern tools and workflows.

Morgan Nilsson
11-27-2017, 02:17 AM
I just bought Lightwave last night, "why?", the skeptics in here might ask.

I had a crapload of license server issues with Houdini and years prior to using Houdini I was mainly a Blender user with a little bit of Maya and Max here and there. So, why Lightwave? Yes, because I believe it to be a perfectly capable tool for what I need it to do and more. I ignore all the doom and gloom threads and general feeling throughout the community. The community for Lightwave is still great if you just ignore all these negative threads and focus on what YOU yourself want from a 3D app. Like always, the tool doesn't matter at all, it is the artistry and skill on the individual level that matters, and like-minded people in here still exists and are more than willing to help a fellow artist out.

I also see a trend where specialized apps are being used more and more for a single task, like animation (Akeytsu), UV (Any one of the standalone UV apps, such as Unfold3D, UvLayout even 3D Coat), modeling (whatever really), Sculpting (Zbrush, 3D Coat), Rendering (Guerilla, Clarisse, Octane, Maxwell Studio etc etc etc). I also count plugins as apps that extend the capabilities of the host dcc app, which is pretty much the bread and butter for nearly every dcc app besides Houdini (The capabilities of Houdini is awesome and I love it, but the set up time for everything is heck of a lot longer than anything else, though they are working to fix that).

No DCC app will ever truly compete with specialized apps that is somewhat decent. I needed a cheap and permanent license of a jack of all trades app, and LW fits perfectly to that end and with some plugins it is more than capable even up to modern standards if I just compare the end results, the road to the end results will always be different depending on the app(s).

Best regards

A drowsy Morgan.

PS: If LW Next comes out eventually? Great! If it doesn't, who cares, just keep on creating!

danielkaiser
11-27-2017, 03:42 AM

Surrealist.
11-27-2017, 04:11 AM
Hello Lightwave community. I have not purchased the program yet, I think the decision has been made that I will do so soon, but I have been on the fence for quite some time now. First let me say that CG is just one of many hobbies for me, I don't expect to get a return on my investment. I have worked in a 3D environment for many years on the engineering side of things, mainly with Solidworks and Autocad, and CG has been a pastime for about 20 years as well. I currently use Silo, Zbrush and Hexagon for my geometry mainly. The target application for my efforts is mainly Poser (the shame, huh?) Most users of Poser (or Daz) purchase their content ready-made, but I have always made as much of it myself as possible. I make all of the buildings, furniture, and environments myself, and I have recently made my own conforming clothing as well. I bought Zbrush about a year ago, and it is great for a lot of stuff, but in many cases I find it easier to make the base shape in silo first and finish the model in Zbrush. Zbrush is not a program where you would set up a entire scene and render it, it is basically just a modeler. Also, most of the amazing Zbrush images that are out there have very high poly counts. You can make good low poly meshes, but it is a lot more work, and the Zremesher loses a lot of detail the lower you go, so it is hand retopo that is the key. I really have a yearning lately for a more powerful modeler. I have been popping in on the Lightwave site a couple times a year, look around, and check on the price for many years now. Recently, with the current price-point, I am seriously considering it, and I have done a lot of research.

Just remember that LightWave works in discovery mode after the trial has ended. Go for it. Get the trial. Check it out. But make the decision to buy based on if LightWave gives you everything you need now. And until further notice from NewTek consider it dead software and that 2015.3 is the last you will ever see. And only buy now with that in mind. But if I were you I would stay in a holding pattern in discovery mode until NewTek comes out of hiding. Saying they will release at this point does not mean anything considering the stunt they have pulled. Not acceptable business practice in my opinion. And you should act accordingly. But make your own decision based on your need of LightWave. Not mine or anyone else.

ianr
11-27-2017, 09:30 AM
I just bought Lightwave last night, "why?", the skeptics in here might ask.

I had a crapload of license server issues with Houdini and years prior to using Houdini I was mainly a Blender user with a little bit of Maya and Max here and there. So, why Lightwave? Yes, because I believe it to be a perfectly capable tool for what I need it to do and more. I ignore all the doom and gloom threads and general feeling throughout the community. The community for Lightwave is still great if you just ignore all these negative threads and focus on what YOU yourself want from a 3D app. Like always, the tool doesn't matter at all, it is the artistry and skill on the individual level that matters, and like-minded people in here still exists and are more than willing to help a fellow artist out.

I also see a trend where specialized apps are being used more and more for a single task, like animation (Akeytsu), UV (Any one of the standalone UV apps, such as Unfold3D, UvLayout even 3D Coat), modeling (whatever really), Sculpting (Zbrush, 3D Coat), Rendering (Guerilla, Clarisse, Octane, Maxwell Studio etc etc etc). I also count plugins as apps that extend the capabilities of the host dcc app, which is pretty much the bread and butter for nearly every dcc app besides Houdini (The capabilities of Houdini is awesome and I love it, but the set up time for everything is heck of a lot longer than anything else, though they are working to fix that).

No DCC app will ever truly compete with specialized apps that is somewhat decent. I needed a cheap and permanent license of a jack of all trades app, and LW fits perfectly to that end and with some plugins it is more than capable even up to modern standards if I just compare the end results, the road to the end results will always be different depending on the app(s).

Best regards

A drowsy Morgan.

PS: If LW Next comes out eventually? Great! If it doesn't, who cares, just keep on creating!

Tell us what you are going to make & i'll try & steer u around the plug-ins that are

productive.

Most DP plugs ins are valid improves , remember to donate though.

I think Erikals or Prom has done a really nice list somewhere on plug-ins on this forum?

prometheus
11-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Tell us what you are going to make & i'll try & steer u around the plug-ins that are

productive.

I think Erikals or Prom has done a really nice list somewhere on plug-ins on this forum?

That would probably be erikals, including his possesion of reviewing plugins, lightwavers bless his soul :)

prometheus
11-27-2017, 10:32 AM
I just bought Lightwave last night

Great..another Swede Lightwaver, canīt get to many of those. :) in what area are you, Iīm a stockholmer here.

Morgan Nilsson
11-27-2017, 10:59 AM

productive.

I am mostly within the game dev area, wishing to be a generalist of sort but end up with environment work for the most part.

The plugins I have already gotten thanks to help from the Discord is the following: DP-Kit, DP-Filter, px_move64, Jettofillet and tc modeling toolset. LWCAD is in my sights in order to get decent snapping functionality in there as well.

Great..another Swede Lightwaver, canīt get to many of those. :) in what area are you, Iīm a stockholmer here.

Haha hi there :) I reside on the little island Gotland.

hypersuperduper
11-27-2017, 11:15 AM
If you plan to do any character work or organic modeling 3rdpowers LWBrush is a very good investment.

prometheus
11-27-2017, 11:22 AM
I am mostly within the game dev area, wishing to be a generalist of sort but end up with environment work for the most part.

The plugins I have already gotten thanks to help from the Discord is the following: DP-Kit, DP-Filter, px_move64, Jettofillet and tc modeling toolset. LWCAD is in my sights in order to get decent snapping functionality in there as well.

Haha hi there :) I reside on the little island Gotland.

Haha...I thought we could meet quickly for a coffe like that, but realized your almost in another country :)
Anyway..environment work, go and get more of Dpont plugins, especially the dp lightws...And most important, the Rman collection textures, it comes in both standard texture and in nodes, so make sure you get both, dp sunsky also good.

As for for environment, well..lightwave is great to work with when using displacements etc, and navigating in the scene with cameras and light control, especially when having vpr on and see it in full glory.
Though I would encourage you to also check out blender sculpting for environments, for a little cost of 0 swedish crowns, if you do not have zbrush, 3d coat, mudbox etc that is, you can always just send the sculpted environment back to lightwave and avoid the messy workflow as well as UI that blender has, and apart from that...probably a much much faster rendering (not including evee in discussion)

Morgan Nilsson
11-27-2017, 11:48 AM
If you plan to do any character work or organic modeling 3rdpowers LWBrush is a very good investment.

I have looked at their stuff and it for sure looks very interesting, but most of my character and organic modeling work will be done in 3D Coat :)

Haha...I thought we could meet quickly for a coffe like that, but realized your almost in another country :)
Anyway..environment work, go and get more of Dpont plugins, especially the dp lightws...And most important, the Rman collection textures, it comes in both standard texture and in nodes, so make sure you get both, dp sunsky also good.

As for for environment, well..lightwave is great to work with when using displacements etc, and navigating in the scene with cameras and light control, especially when having vpr on and see it in full glory.
Though I would encourage you to also check out blender sculpting for environments, for a little cost of 0 swedish crowns, if you do not have zbrush, 3d coat, mudbox etc that is, you can always just send the sculpted environment back to lightwave and avoid the messy workflow as well as UI that blender has, and apart from that...probably a much much faster rendering (not including evee in discussion)

Haha, coffee one day would be great!

I was originally a Blender user many years ago but now I just dread to open it for a number of reasons, it most certainly is very powerful though.

3D Coat works great for me with all the sculpting requirements I have, I do a lot of environment stuff solely through the use of Substance Designer as well. Gotta love displacement!

At first glance though, the UV capabilities of Lightwave seems quite lacking, but 3D Coat have awesome UV tools so I am covered on that end anyways :)

erikals
11-27-2017, 12:35 PM
That would probably be erikals, including his possession of reviewing plugins, lightwavers bless his soul :)

hey Thanks! :) :)
long time since i made a list... here are some >

Commercial Plugins >
LightWave Octane (best integration according to some)
TAFA application (powerful endomorphs)
RHiggit
Syflex
3rdPowers - MetaMesh, LW Brush, Cage Deformer, Paint Weights
UP / Deep Rising
TrueArt
Turbulence
LWcad
OD Toolset
DPont plugins - Donate

Select >
Select UV Island
Select Polygons by Size
Random Deselect Select Point
Select Layer Range

Align >
Align & Distribute
Line Up Point EQ
MentalFish Polygon Islands

Round Bevel >
Truss
JetoFillet
JettoBevel

Create >
Legoizer
DPont Verdure Tree
Sean's Dial Ticks

Conform >
Scale Layers

Extrude >
Tube Point Chain
C Form
PX Bezier

P Create >
Unigon
Quad Skin Patcher
Rail Poly
Weld Strip

Split >
AutoSewer
Crackit / Distribute
MG Julienne
MG Julienne 3D
Divide Edge

Clean >
cp Janitor
dxs EdgeRelax

Function >
ef Toggle Lines

+ Misc UV mapping and Texture related plugins

gar26lw
11-27-2017, 12:41 PM
tafa?

erikals
11-27-2017, 12:44 PM
yep :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2z4kkXUsU

jwiede
11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
To be fair, TAFA's technically closer to a separate "support app" than a "LW plugin", but either way it's very useful.

erikals
11-27-2017, 01:13 PM
agree,

the price is $200. if it was a Maya app/plugin it would've been way more.

tyrot
11-27-2017, 01:46 PM
With tafa i have a one single problem .. i cannot scroll down the timeline with mouse wheel and it drives me nuts.. other than that TAFA is an amazing software... must buy for any LW user ..

sk810
11-27-2017, 03:12 PM
$695 for the full version is a steal right now. I upgraded an old copy to LW 2015 and it was $495 just for the upgrade a few years ago and that was on a Christmas sale. So I doubt the sale will go past the new year, unless they plan on extending it till the new LWNext comes out. LW modeler runs fast on older hardware (even LW Layout). LW renderer is also as free for as many computers as you want. From what I understand Octane GPU renderer for LW supports PBR materials. Octane's a bit expensive ($589), but it's something I'm looking into speed up renders. I've thought about switching to something else, but since CGI is just a hobby for me now too, I can't see spending the time to learn another software.

What's nice about LW for the independent user as it's easy to get things done quicker than some of the larger CGI packages.

Modeling in LW, does just feel natural. Having modeler as a separate software is a huge bonus. You can quickly see/work on your models in a zeroed out environment at their initial state before animation and deformation. If all the modeling tools where in Layout, it would be a cluttered mess. It helps you focus on animating/rending in one software and modeling in the other.

Check out LW blog to see people/studios work. If you signup for the emails they will send you the latest also.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/

Haven't tested this, but here's a PBR workflow for lightwave.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/substance-painter-in-lightwave/

The Facebook group is really active also.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/LightWave3d/

https://www.facebook.com/Octane-renderer-for-Lightwave-386895101408782/

Amerelium
11-28-2017, 01:27 AM
It cannot do everything (even with plugins) but it can do a lot for the price.

Is it modern, fun to use, stable or efficient? No, in my opinion not. It lacks behind 10-20 years compared to modern tools and workflows.

Well, I think it's fun to use, and it's one of the most stable programs I've ever used - I've never had it crash on me.

..and claiming it's up to 20 years behind other software; you obviously never worked much with 3D software in 1997

Amerelium
11-28-2017, 01:29 AM
What's nice about LW for the independent user as it's easy to get things done quicker than some of the larger CGI packages.

Modeling in LW, does just feel natural. Having modeler as a separate software is a huge bonus. You can quickly see/work on your models in a zeroed out environment at their initial state before animation and deformation. If all the modeling tools where in Layout, it would be a cluttered mess. It helps you focus on animating/rending in one software and modeling in the other.

Couldn't agree more.

Amerelium
11-28-2017, 01:38 AM
Thanks

Commercial Plugins >
RHiggit
Syflex
UP / Deep Rising
TrueArt
Turbulence
LWcad
OD Toolset
DPont plugins - Donate

Select >
Select UV Island
Select Polygons by Size
Select Layer Range

Align >
Align & Distribute
Line Up Point EQ

Round Bevel >
Truss
JetoFillet
JettoBevel

Create >
Legoizer
DPont Verdure Tree
Sean's Dial Ticks

Conform >
Scale Layers

Extrude >
Tube Point Chain
C Form
PX Bezier

P Create >
Unigon
Quad Skin Patcher
Rail Poly
Weld Strip

Split >
AutoSewer
Crackit / Distribute
MG Julienne
MG Julienne 3D
Divide Edge

Clean >
cp Janitor
dxs EdgeRelax

Function >
ef Toggle Lines

Marander
11-28-2017, 03:42 AM
Well, I think it's fun to use, and it's one of the most stable programs I've ever used - I've never had it crash on me.

..and claiming it's up to 20 years behind other software; you obviously never worked much with 3D software in 1997

Well I have not "worked much" in 3D 20 years ago but I had the chance to play with Softimage and LW Demo on SGI back then. SI was already more advanced in some features then LW today. LW on the other hand hasn't changed the text tool since then or managed to implement a proper undo system for example. Some modeling tools are still the same while other software is using non-destructive workflow since 10 years (I wrote 10-20 years). I think Houdini / Prisms were even procedural 20 years ago.

LW is and was quite unstable compared to other 3d software for me. Lot of crashes in Modeler (basic tools like Rounder, UV mapping etc.), Layout crashed quite a lot when rendering heavy scenes, instances or using Hub (I think it was related to having VPR active the same time)

Many crashes in LW due to 3rd party plugins, for example TFD and Vue that work very well on another platform. DPont plugins/nodes (providing functionality that should be built-in) with lots of crashes. Advanced Placement a complete crash disaster. Yes, I have many plugins installed but they shouldn't bring down the main application. Having said that, 3rd party plugins integrate incredible bad in LW compared to other solutions where they complement the application and work well together with core features.

A Win10 maintenance update made LW completely unusable for me, the license was not accepted anymore (on several machines). No issues with any other 3D software. I had to uninstall and reinstall.

I wonder how you use LW without having it ever crash on you. I can produce a crash in LW within minutes.

Have you ever used LW on a high res display? The only 3D software that doesn't support display scaling and makes it completely unusable for me.

Luc_Feri
11-28-2017, 03:56 AM
Ok banned still bye!!!! I get it, banned for good, don't bother..........

[Moderator's note: Direct email to this member last week failed, so for clarity I'll just note that in fact he is not banned; rather, his posts are subject to moderation ... following an evident lack of self-moderation.]

gar26lw
11-28-2017, 04:41 AM
all of that is true. sigh

MichaelT
11-28-2017, 05:23 AM
Well I have not "worked much" in 3D 20 years ago but I had the chance to play with Softimage and LW Demo on SGI back then. SI was already more advanced in some features then LW today. LW on the other hand hasn't changed the text tool since then or managed to implement a proper undo system for example. Some modeling tools are still the same while other software is using non-destructive workflow since 10 years (I wrote 10-20 years). I think Houdini / Prisms were even procedural 20 years ago.

LW is and was quite unstable compared to other 3d software for me. Lot of crashes in Modeler (basic tools like Rounder, UV mapping etc.), Layout crashed quite a lot when rendering heavy scenes, instances or using Hub (I think it was related to having VPR active the same time)

Many crashes in LW due to 3rd party plugins, for example TFD and Vue that work very well on another platform. DPont plugins/nodes (providing functionality that should be built-in) with lots of crashes. Advanced Placement a complete crash disaster. Yes, I have many plugins installed but they shouldn't bring down the main application. Having said that, 3rd party plugins integrate incredible bad in LW compared to other solutions where they complement the application and work well together with core features.

A Win10 maintenance update made LW completely unusable for me, the license was not accepted anymore (on several machines). No issues with any other 3D software. I had to uninstall and reinstall.

I wonder how you use LW without having it ever crash on you. I can produce a crash in LW within minutes.

Have you ever used LW on a high res display? The only 3D software that doesn't support display scaling and makes it completely unusable for me.

I think you're remembering Softimage with more than a fair bit of roses ;) The version back then was awful to work with. More powerful.. sure.. but its price was set accordingly too.

The first thing I used to do on Windows is to set scaling to 100%. There are more apps than LW out there that messes up that one. In fact on Win 10 it is now the *default*
position. So if you're having problems, it is because you changed that. So LW works. I honestly have no idea what your talking about regarding the license messing up,
that have never happened to me. But I can tell you that Windows updates sets things back to factory settings. They do this so they can guarantee the update works as tested.
Unfortunately it does mean applications (and even installations of software) will "detach". Meaning settings are broken, installation links removed etc.. And Houdini have been
a victim of this more than once. Something I brought to their attention. They seem to have fixed that, so it isn't as sensitive as it used to be. But I haven't properly tested that since.

But the fact that many applications are unable to be both uninstalled & reinstalled (or worse.. even deactivated) after a windows 10 upgrade period. Is still very much the case.
So I suggest that people do hard drive backups before updating windows. Or better yet, deactivate and uninstall everything. Do a clean upgrade (wiping) and then reinstall.
To make sure things aren't broken, even if they seem to be working after the upgrade. (man I hate this forced updates nonsense... but that is another debate)

Marander
11-28-2017, 09:04 AM
@MichaelT - Yes, possible I was wearing pink glasses view back on SI :D , it was very impressive to me then (specially on the SGIs).

About the display scaling - again, every 3D and 2D graphic software I have (and they are plenty) have no problem with this except LW.
How would I run 100% scaling on a Dell XPS 15 with 4k, a Surface Pro or another 4k screen? You would need a microscope to see anything.

The Windows 10 maintenance update only messed up LW, no other application.
I tried many different ways of adding the license again (also copying it directly to the correct folder), LW also told me that the license has been added but was still in demo mode after restart. I suspected NTFS rights but adjusting that didn't help.

By the way, if you have problems upgrading / uninstalling applications in Windows, this is mostly because the uninstaller or its log file was removed. There is a tool from MS which corrects this and works perfect, I use it often.

Agree, Houdini licensing is quite a pain (at least with the Apprentice version when offline), I don't know if it's better with Indie. If Houdini FX would be without node locking or online crap I would have bought it already but the licensing is too restrictive. I will get Indie at some point but then I have to decide on which machine to install.

MichaelT
11-28-2017, 10:28 AM
How would I run 100% scaling on a Dell XPS 15 with 4k, a Surface Pro or another 4k screen? You would need a microscope to see anything.

Don't know, don't have a 4K screen. I have 2K screen, but it works fine for me there. :) Either way, I hope this is something they've fixed in the coming version, or they'll get rage attacks.. I'm sure of it.
Especially from people whom have 4K screens like you do.

By the way, if you have problems upgrading / uninstalling applications in Windows, this is mostly because the uninstaller or its log file was removed. There is a tool from MS which corrects this and works perfect, I use it often.

Hmm, didn't know about that tool. Have to look it up. Still.. having my doubts. Seen too many things cleared to believe a tool from MS works without actually trying it out thoroughly first :)
I'm very curious as to why the licensing breaks for you in that situation. It's just a file... I don't have a clue why that would make things break?! Sounds very odd indeed.

And yeah.. I've been looking at that permanent Houdini license more than once... but that DRM... man.. what a 90s solution! I wish things like that would go the way of the Do-do. Don't think we're alone thinking that either.

prometheus
11-28-2017, 10:31 AM
The Windows 10 maintenance update only messed up LW, no other application.

lucky you...only license issues? I started a new thread regarding weird removal of my lighwave bind folder, where I suspect windows 10 updates has removed my entire lightwave 64 bit bin folder, itīs gone..now canīt say for sure, it may also be avast that has done something as well, though I do not see anything in the log files that indicates that.

Marander
11-28-2017, 11:03 AM
Hmm, didn't know about that tool. Have to look it up. Still.. having my doubts. Seen too many things cleared to believe a tool from MS works without actually trying it out thoroughly first :)

The tool is called "Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter" from Microsoft. A simple executable that I keep having in my Temp folder.

Works really well, it removes the old registry entries that programs look up when trying to install / uninstall / update and cannot find the old executable.

About the licensing: Yes strange indeed. I have dragged it on the licensing screen, deleted the LW user preferences completely, copied in the proper folder (even though it was already there), tried different formats, checked user rights, installed LW in a different folder etc. And this happened to 11.6.3 and 2015.3 on different machines.

About display scaling, yes this is really an issue that must be fixed in LWNext. Actually in LW current, there were many application updates in the last couple of years dealing with high res displays and currently there is only LW left that doesn't support it.

MichaelT
11-28-2017, 11:25 AM
I don't think there will be any more updates for the current version, unless it is some really bad stuff that is found.

The problem I've seen is when installations are gone (although still in working condition) and then could not be deactivated. And not reinstalled, because the license was still locked. Ending up with me contacting support. So now I always back the current version up, before I upgrade windows (the full windows upgrades I mean, not the small usual stuff) But I tend to just do clean upgrades, taking the opportunity to have a clean version of windows as well. I just generally works much better [for me :)]

Morgan Nilsson
11-29-2017, 02:43 AM

Commercial Plugins >
RHiggit
Syflex
UP / Deep Rising
TrueArt
Turbulence
LWcad
OD Toolset
DPont plugins - Donate

Select >
Select UV Island
Select Polygons by Size
Select Layer Range

Align >
Align & Distribute
Line Up Point EQ

Round Bevel >
Truss
JetoFillet
JettoBevel

Create >
Legoizer
DPont Verdure Tree
Sean's Dial Ticks

Conform >
Scale Layers

Extrude >
Tube Point Chain
C Form
PX Bezier

P Create >
Unigon
Quad Skin Patcher
Rail Poly
Weld Strip

Split >
AutoSewer
Crackit / Distribute
MG Julienne
MG Julienne 3D
Divide Edge

Clean >
cp Janitor
dxs EdgeRelax

Function >
ef Toggle Lines

Thank you for that list! Will be digging through it to see if there is anything I might want :)

I also just purchased LWCAD because everyone and their mother said it was the best upgrade to Modeler there is. Right now I am a bit stumped on how to actually use it in everyday modeling, snapping is obviously the most obvious one that will be extremely useful, same with live booleans. The rest? I am unsure but it will probably loosen up eventually.

It is really difficult to find videos/timelapses where people use LWCAD in their daily modeling workflow, so if anyone has any videos to recommend I would appreciate that tons!

Amerelium
11-29-2017, 04:58 AM
Your system is infected by malware: it's called Windows 10.

My PC never crashes because I maintain a clean system: Ghost image of the clean installation (Win7 Pro), and I overwrite the system drive once a year. Takes me 10 minutes.

Oh, and I also stopped all OS updating once Microsoft removed to option to select individual updates - never underestimate the amount of trouble Windows update can cause.

- and no, I never have viruses or malware, there are better ways to protect oneself than relying on the OS.

erikals
11-29-2017, 05:05 AM
@ Morgan Nilsson
yes, do a google of the plugin name + LightWave, my videos with links might show up.

regarding WLcad, yep, many features, though i wish it had more videos. haven't had the time to test it all, very nice for interiors though. and rounding (mass round)

gar26lw
11-29-2017, 05:24 AM
wlcad? how do i get it!?

Morgan Nilsson
11-29-2017, 05:54 AM
@ Morgan Nilsson
yes, do a google of the plugin name + LightWave, my videos with links might show up.

regarding WLcad, yep, many features, though i wish it had more videos. haven't had the time to test it all, very nice for interiors though. and rounding (mass round)

Yeah I had plenty use of LWCAD Rounder, seems to produce better results than the native rounder tool. The CAD like modeling with nurbs and all will be a great tool as well, the current craze in the game dev industry is to make hardsurface stuff with Fusion 360 and other more simple CAD-like apps, having that in LW will be nice.

I constantly watch your videos, really great stuff like I said in the other thread! :)

Marander
11-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Your system is infected by malware: it's called Windows 10.

My PC never crashes because I maintain a clean system: Ghost image of the clean installation (Win7 Pro), and I overwrite the system drive once a year. Takes me 10 minutes.

Oh, and I also stopped all OS updating once Microsoft removed to option to select individual updates - never underestimate the amount of trouble Windows update can cause.

- and no, I never have viruses or malware, there are better ways to protect oneself than relying on the OS.

You're ridiculous now.

I'm using Win10 since it's in beta / tech preview and the same for Win8.1 / 7 before as a MSDN member. Of course I configure the OS / Firewall / Router / AV as required. I work with Mac/Linux/Unix/Windows and mainframes since 25 years.

I used Ghost before (last time maybe 10 years ago), Win7 is still OK as long as you're offline.

If you setup Win7 and patch it to the current fix level it will require 100s of fixes and countless restarts. For Win10 on the other hand there are new builds available as iso downloads.

If you're online with an unpatched system, well what should I say. Btw all my patched 3D Win10 machines except the Surface are 99% offline except for planned updates (few times it happened that the background update interrupted a render though).

All my machines are rock stable even under long constant and heavy CPU / GPU load, except for crashes when I use LW / LW plugins and occasionally Vue and Vray when it was in beta.

Saying that LW never crashes is just delusional, there is proof all over the forum that it has some stability issues.

Cinema on the other hand is very stable (except in very rare cases where I had some issues with Vray and LWCAD beta plugins some time ago).

Maybe you should stop living in the past and experience modern technology yourself instead of posting such nonsense.

SBowie
11-29-2017, 07:17 AM
Maybe you should stop living in the past and experience modern technology yourself instead of posting such nonsense.There was nothing personally offensive or provocative in Amerelium's post. It simply expresses a view regarding software (which you are free to disagree with if you like). This cannot be said of your reply, however - let's dial this back a bit, please.

Marander
11-29-2017, 07:25 AM
There was nothing personally offensive or provocative in Amerelium's post. It simply expresses a view regarding software (which you are free to disagree with if you like). This cannot be said of your reply, however - let's dial this back a bit, please.

Thanks Steve, but to say in the first sentence that I'm working with Malware is provocative to me. Also when someone posts about things that he obviously has no experience about.

However I accept your remark and value your moderation alot and therefore calm down before replying to something like this and choose my words more carefully.

SBowie
11-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Thanks Steve, but to say in the first sentence that I'm working with Malware is provocative to me. Also when someone posts about things that he obviously has no experience about.

However I accept your remark and value your moderation alot and therefore calm down before replying to something like this and choose my words more carefully.Thank you. I think, on reflection, you might see that the 'malware' remark could easily be construed as a slap at Windows, rather than at you personally.

Amerelium
11-29-2017, 09:28 AM
I didn't say LW never crashes; I said I'VE never had LW crash - and I've fiddled with the thing for 20 years.

In any event: You seem very defensive.

As for calling Win10 malware: It's actually a correct definition, if you take into account the 'creative' methods used to distribute it. Methinks there has been a story or two about that in the general media.

And as for updating, well, most software and hardware producers, MS including, have some variation of the statment 'only update if you need to' at the beginning of their documentation, and I only do. And I don't care if MS tells me I need to. I have throughout the years had three complete system meltdowns that was traced directly to spesific Windows updates, security updates that is, one for WinXP and two for Win7, and as long as I don't have control I'm staying clear.

Fun note: I have a 100% updated (win7) laptop that has been attacked by ransomware twice (and I never leave anything idle online), whilst my main system win7ProSP1 stay clean as a whistle - maybe the crap ain't backwards compatable

You're ridiculous now.

I'm using Win10 since it's in beta / tech preview and the same for Win8.1 / 7 before as a MSDN member. Of course I configure the OS / Firewall / Router / AV as required. I work with Mac/Linux/Unix/Windows and mainframes since 25 years.

I used Ghost before (last time maybe 10 years ago), Win7 is still OK as long as you're offline.

If you setup Win7 and patch it to the current fix level it will require 100s of fixes and countless restarts. For Win10 on the other hand there are new builds available as iso downloads.

If you're online with an unpatched system, well what should I say. Btw all my patched 3D Win10 machines except the Surface are 99% offline except for planned updates (few times it happened that the background update interrupted a render though).

All my machines are rock stable even under long constant and heavy CPU / GPU load, except for crashes when I use LW / LW plugins and occasionally Vue and Vray when it was in beta.

Saying that LW never crashes is just delusional, there is proof all over the forum that it has some stability issues.

Cinema on the other hand is very stable (except in very rare cases where I had some issues with Vray and LWCAD beta plugins some time ago).

Maybe you should stop living in the past and experience modern technology yourself instead of posting such nonsense.

prometheus
11-29-2017, 09:56 AM
I didn't say LW never crashes; I said I'VE never had LW crash

Thatīs Amazing, and something One can hardly believe, at least not I...not when working for 20 years with lightwave and never having a single crash.
So how do you do it? what lw version? do you use it so little or very frequently, I would suspect you are using it by the book and does not try something extraordinary, maybe you do not use the vpr at all, no dpont textures etc, try fiddling with some texture displacement mode blending layers, move them up and down, change blending mode etc, why not use fiberfx a little bit more?
Your mission...if you choose to accept it, is to prove you are capable of creating a Lightwave crash, so I suggest you use Layout more frequently, especially VPR, and procedural textures, and maybe fiberfx :)

And donīt tell me you are on a Lightwave 2015 version now? that version has been the most proned to crash that I have had, and that even though I got a new machine with windows 10.
Maybe Lightwave performs better in norway in the cold, when the machine doesnīt get heated too much:D

There are however most likely confirmed bugs and issues that will crash lightwave regardless of your person, but connected to how you use it..it may just happen to be a case of that you simply havenīt worked with such case scenarios that leads up to a crash...a miracle maybe.

hrgiger
11-29-2017, 10:38 AM
Maybe hes just creating a box primitive and saving it. Ive found that to be pretty crash proof. But if hes never had a crash, he is certainly not doing anything interesting with LightWave.

Marander
11-29-2017, 11:08 AM
I didn't say LW never crashes; I said I'VE never had LW crash - and I've fiddled with the thing for 20 years.

Fair enough, one can use any LW version stable for years creating Cubes and Spheres - pardon - Boxes and Balls :D (not saying you do that).

LW 11.6.2/3 was most stable for me, however with heavy modeling, large scenes, effects, built-in plugins, Instancing, Nodes, Hub sync I had crashes (but not out of the blue, tool specific or rendering). Some complex scenes (space scenes with lots of animations, Rhiggit rigs and Hypervoxels) rendered just fine for days without any crash. Others crashed immediately when the render started.

LW 2015 crashed more (maybe I used Nodes and VPR more then). But with adding many commercial plugins LW became a serious crash party (TFD, AP, DPont, after upgrade LWCAD 4.5 to 5.0) etc. This is also due to the LW SDK in my opinion. This was on Win7 and Win10 Pro/Enterprise.

Win10 works with the same stability as Win7 for me but with better performance. And for major Win upgrades I always do a clean install, that goes very quick using the latest Win10 image (iso) downloads.

So again, yes it's possible to run LW stable depending on the task I guess. For 20 years, wow.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-29-2017, 12:03 PM
3rd Party nodes tend to introduce stability issues on my system. If I stick with native nodes it is rock solid but, vastly less powerful.

I haven't had Lightwave Layout crash recently and Modeler never crashes with 3rd Powers, LW Cad and Trueart plugs.

But not having LW crash for 20 years. As Marander said, wow. That is not my experience, though 2015.3 is the most stable Lightwave for me.

papou
11-29-2017, 12:31 PM
... I have a long history of investing in software that has died. Truespace died a sudden death, and I believe that Poser is near death at the moment. Then there was Eovia, I bought Carrera, Amapi Pro and Hexagon from them shortly before they went under...

Please, stay away from Lightwave. It seems that when you are around, the app die.

prometheus
11-29-2017, 01:25 PM
I just had a 20 minutes session..then kaboom, crash..exactly like that it sounded, but it canīt compare to 20 years, and still waiting for it...I guess :)

it happened when I was using volumetric lights, and using a radial gradient texture, vpr active, and I tried to hit f9 render directly ..maybe it canīt iterate properly or so, I see this happening constantly...avoid rendering with VPR active, and let it iterate through if possible.

Now..the light volumetrics is much much faster in the 2015 version, allowing it for some effects that would be to slow to try out in 11.6.3 for example, but it may have caused lightwave not being able to handle it properly and go wonky with crashes, I really never had these issues with 11.6.3

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138710&d=1511986973

no point in sending bug reports now is it, not sure if it would be valid for the next lightwave, nor if itīs worth it for expecting a bug fix in 2015..I donīt know?

Marander
11-29-2017, 02:10 PM
3rd Party nodes tend to introduce stability issues on my system. If I stick with native nodes it is rock solid but, vastly less powerful.

I haven't had Lightwave Layout crash recently and Modeler never crashes with 3rd Powers, LW Cad and Trueart plugs.

But not having LW crash for 20 years. As Marander said, wow. That is not my experience, though 2015.3 is the most stable Lightwave for me.

True, LWCAD 5.2 (newer versions, early version had lot of NURBS issues), Rhiggit Pro and 3rd Powers are good examples of stable LW plugins. IFW2 is great too. RR Tools and OD Tools as well as far as I remember. Some others not so much.

Marander
11-29-2017, 02:12 PM
I just had a 20 minutes session..then kaboom, crash..

Haha but nice to see an error message in nice Swedish :) Hey do!

CaptainMarlowe
11-29-2017, 10:43 PM
True, LWCAD 5.2 (newer versions, early version had lot of NURBS issues), Rhiggit Pro and 3rd Powers are good examples of stable LW plugins. IFW2 is great too. RR Tools and OD Tools as well as far as I remember. Some others not so much.

I'd add Syflex too, I don't remember crashing Layout while using Syflex. I don't have much crashes in 2015.3, this said, but some LWCAD functions crash on Mac if not used carefully (still on 4.5, though) and there are quite a few occurrences of crashing when texturing with VPR on.

jwiede
11-30-2017, 09:56 AM
I'd add Syflex too, I don't remember crashing Layout while using Syflex. I don't have much crashes in 2015.3, this said, but some LWCAD functions crash on Mac if not used carefully (still on 4.5, though) and there are quite a few occurrences of crashing when texturing with VPR on.

Agreed, Syflex has always been very stable here as well.

Ron Schatz
11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
I can Crash the VPR of 2015.3 in a short time, EdgeFX64 on some of my older surface presets crash all of LW's rendering functions in about 3 to 4 frames into a run, took some time find the problem child but then...( you know HDinstance doesn't play well with 2015, I always needed to use 11 just to get the job done.) Maybe I need to ask Graham if he has a newer updates for both.

But, 2015.3 is the stablest Lightwave I can remember, I count on this version of LW day in and day out!

ribroast
12-04-2017, 05:41 AM
Please, stay away from Lightwave. It seems that when you are around, the app die.

I was thinking the same thing, like a software grim reaper. When I bought the Right Hemisphere programs for about $350 I thought it was such a deal, then they went under and the software was freeware a year later. As a hobbyist, I can not afford mistakes like that.

ribroast
12-04-2017, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the information everyone. I did finish my X-mas shopping, and thanks to all the deals, it was pretty painless. So I started my trial about a week ago. I've been testing LW out everyday, compared to Silo it is harder to do simple things it seems. After using it a couple of days, it gets easier though. I was surprised that in LW you can't simply select edges and extrude new geometry. I learned to use the extend/translate method, but that is strange to me at first. My first attempts at making simple shapes resulted in half of my polygons having flipped normals. I learned to select things in a clockwise order, and check for double points all the time. In Silo I get a flipped poly on a rare occasion, and verts are always welded, unless I intentionally split them. I'm not knocking LW though, last night I made a pretty decent, fairly complex model with hardly a flipped poly or any double verts, I am starting to think the way the software does. Lightwave has much more horsepower than Silo though, like multishift, just for one example. Also the rounder, Silo or Hexagon can't handle the corners and intersections the way LW does. The type of models I am interested in making are low poly buildings and Sci-Fi interiors, with maps baked from high poly versions in some cases. I have never attempted to model a realistic model of a car with my current software, and I know Lightwave would put those type of projects within reach. The spline tools are much more robust than the ones I am used to.

Probably a mistake on my part, I bought a used copy of LW 9.6 on Ebay for $125, It was just shipped, so I don't have it yet. I did not realize there is a $100 fee to transfer the license. I plan on upgrading to 2015, but I guess I will be lucky to save $100 for all the effort. The dongle is included, remarkably, there are copies of LW on Ebay without the dongle (read the fine print). Last night I found the thread in this forum where people are offering their seats for sale, looks like I missed a couple of good deals there, but I will be watching that thread from now on.

Plugins. Yesss! I am most impressed with the 3rd party action that Lightwave has to offer. I will most certainly be spending all of my 3D budget on Lightwave for quite some time. Many of these plugins are fairly necessary I think, and some of them are just too cool to pass up. Since I do make most of my own content for use in Poser, I would rather spend my money on software than on ready-made content. I have to get settled in with a licensed copy of LW 2015 first, since many plugins are tied to your Lightwave license.

As far as my concern with the lack of physically based materials in LW, it would be nice, but not a deal breaker. I make hundreds of tileable image textures every year using Genitica, Filter Forge, and from my own Photos. I have been making the special maps for the PBR type of material nodes for a couple of years now whenever I make a new texture, or when I use one that don't have them I update those as I go along. There is not a huge difference, its just basically a metallic map or a glossy map, depending on what type of material it is. The only PBR renderer I have used to date is the cycles implementation in the most recent version of Poser. The glossy part can be just controlled with a node, so it is mainly the metallic map that is necessary for shiny materials like metal and plastic. There is also a setting for roughness, which is node based. The other maps are pretty much the same (Diffuse, Spec, Height, Normal, etc). Another thing the cycles rendering engine does is support GPU rendering. I invested in a decent video card last year because of that. These things are becoming sort of standard in 3D software now days. I saw a thread on using Substance Painter materials in LW, so it seems that a similar result can be achieved using the nodes in LW. I have not even opened the layout application yet in LW in the week I've been using the trial, but I've seen enough videos on the subject to know that LW has a robust material system and is capable of producing very nice renders. I am sure I will render and animate with LW once I get started, but I am mainly interested in a more powerful modeling application. I would not purchase it based on the rendering capabilities alone.

Sorry for the lack of indents/paragraphs in my original post. I typed it in that way but it got all shoved together when I hit submit. I think I've figured out how to use the forum a little better now. Never cared for word processors and formating text. I had to do it sometimes for my work, a evil necessity. Your comments have all been very helpful. I am definitely getting Lightwave, 9.6 is on the way, and I am sure I will upgrade to 2015 soon. I have looked at all of the other options, and Lightwave seems the best fit for me. I do this stuff simply for fun, and I've had no joy with Blender. LW seemed sort of clunky at first, but I would say it was fun to start using it, and I made good progress learning it from the first day onwards. I have a lot of learning to do yet, but I really do like the interface. Silo's interface mimics LW's and I like it as well. Most of the other programs are too big of a initial cost for my budget. I can afford to continually improve Lightwave gradually with the addition of fantastic plugins as time goes on.

erikals
12-04-2017, 10:05 AM
regarding Ui, agree, i like the LightWave Ui very much myself  :)

hrgiger
12-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Edges are crap in LightWave, theyre only partly implemented.

erikals
12-04-2017, 10:49 AM
yes, if you add edges, make sure it's the very last thing you do to the model.
---as far as i recall.

prometheus
12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Congrats for liking lightwave, it has itīs thing on how it is structured and how the UI looks that appeals to many (not all) that makes it easy to use really, and navigating in layout and setting up lights, objects, cameras is very nice..and it provides a default view that is maximized without having to switch to a full view like in other software, you can do that in Lightwave as well, but the difference is by default and not messing with themes ..it has one of the largest workspaces and cleanest, and to that add on a preview renderer that is very fast and can be used in full viewports without that much of slowdown as it can be in other softwares, lightwave seem to rule that field.

However, I would urge you to check in on blender anyway..and get over that threshold of disliking the UI and the workflow, I had to go through it many times and shut it down many times, til I reached a point where I actually could use it, now I find it easier also due to itīs improvements...I urge you to look at it because it really has some nice features you wonīt find in lightwave for a while, the sculpting tools, realtime booleans, and with a remesher modifier ..those boolean brushes sort of acts like a metamesh plugin where you fuse parts together, and for that you would have to pay a lot for the metamesh plugin or go for modo with metafusion, while in blender that is free (granted..itīs not as slick as metamesh)
I really like the sculpting tools..though it can not compete with zbrush on higher detail.

The skin modifier is also awesome..we do not have any similar in lightwave, blenders hair sculpt is better than lightwave, it got paint of weight maps in the scene which we do not have in lightwave, we got particle emissions from weight maps (not in lightwave without node tinkering) we got fluids of both smoke and liquid modes...nothing of that in blender, as well as fluid emission by weight map, not even if you have turbulenceFD will you get that.
Ambient occlusion in opengl etc, and that is only in 2.79...the next blender may really rock.

I do however lack a larger set of procedural textures for blender, and ofcourse a better structure of the UI, and better handling of large poly count (sculpting excluded since it does it pretty well..yet not in the same leage as zbrush)

tischbein3
12-04-2017, 11:34 AM
blenders hair sculpt is better than lightwave,

As long as you don't try to comb 1 hair guide wihout affecting the neighbours, then it becomes tedious in blender.
Just yesterday I posted a long monologue on how blenders hair is the polar opposite of what lw hairs is...things wich
are easy to archive in one of them is quite hard in the other. And this is something wich pans out in a lot of areas. There
is a lot wich is very attractive in lw for users comming from other software wich we take for granted.

prometheus
12-04-2017, 12:17 PM
As long as you don't try to comb 1 hair guide wihout affecting the neighbours, then it becomes tedious in blender.
Just yesterday I posted a long monologue on how blenders hair is the polar opposite of what lw hairs is...things wich
are easy to archive in one of them is quite hard in the other. And this is something wich pans out in a lot of areas. There
is a lot wich is very attractive in lw for users comming from other software wich we take for granted.

In Blender...
Thereīs no meaning in combing a single hair strand (homer simpson excluded) :)

Anyway, in case of the need..just hold ctrl and left mouse click on a strand point, that allows for individual strand editing without affecting the others, if not a single vertex editing, use select more (ctrl and numpad +) to comb a single strand without affecting the others..
ctrl click outside of any strand to go back to full comb mode on all strands.

I really didnīt know how to until you brought up the issue, but just fiddling around a couple of minutes trying some keys, and that worked, maybe it could work for you?

prometheus
12-04-2017, 12:31 PM
Also great to have a proper vertex group that is so simple to apply, so once you weight paint brush in blender, it automaticly grows hair directly if you have set it to the proper weight group, same goes with fluids or general particles, canīt recall how smooth it would be to do in layout and fiberfx and how the weight paint tools from 3rd powers allows for that without manually updating fiberfx.

erikals
12-04-2017, 01:58 PM
imo, FiberFX is ok for >

Long Hair
Fur/Short Hair

as for combing, (side comb etc) sorry, but it's kinda horrible.

jwiede
12-04-2017, 07:11 PM
I can Crash the VPR of 2015.3 in a short time, EdgeFX64 on some of my older surface presets crash all of LW's rendering functions in about 3 to 4 frames into a run, took some time find the problem child but then...( you know HDinstance doesn't play well with 2015, I always needed to use 11 just to get the job done.) Maybe I need to ask Graham if he has a newer updates for both.

If Graham has any updates that stabilize HDI on LW2015, please report back, as I'd very much like a stable, working HDI on LW2015.

LW instancing is useful for some things, but there are still a number of tasks where HDI either offers much more efficient workflow, or is simply capable of doing it (when LW instancing cannot).

DP's Instancer plugin helps augment LW instancing, but unfortunately on Mac it hasn't been updated in ages, and has stability issues.

tyrot
12-04-2017, 07:32 PM
MDD offsetting .. must have for any instancing solution ... HDinstance has it ... Native does not :(

tischbein3
12-04-2017, 10:00 PM
In Blender...
Thereīs no meaning in combing a single hair strand (homer simpson excluded) :)

Anyway, in case of the need..just hold ctrl and left mouse click on a strand point,

well the ctrl click didn't worked here, but you made me look again at it and I found it....thanks.

tcoursey
12-05-2017, 08:40 AM
As others mention the top choices for me would be Lightwave, Modo or Blender. Modo has a cheaper entry with monthly subscription, blender is of course free.

I think it would make sense for you to consider what app based on what your goals are. What direction are you wanting to explore? ie. Arch Viz, Character Animation, Product Modeling etc..etc...

If I were to start from scratch I would probably lean towards Modo, but I just can't go there since I'm in love with LW. If I could get Modo's modeler inside LW I would be very happy! However I do a lot of arch viz work and use Octane render inside LW. It's a great combo. Add in LWCAD tools and there really isn't a better choice in my opinion. Of course that is bias because I've been using LW for 15+ years. But I only use about 10% of it at best. There is so much that I don't use it's sad.

I would say Blender is great because it's free, and if it's a hobby free is good! If your wanting to product model or have a great toolset for modeling, I think I would go Modo. If your needing a great render that is fast and easy to use consider Octane with LW (it's also available for Modo, but have no experience with it).

Consider your needs and then test them all out, everyone has a different use and experience so you'll get all kinds of responses as you see. Good luck and have fun!

ribroast
12-05-2017, 06:15 PM
As others mention the top choices for me would be Lightwave, Modo or Blender. Modo has a cheaper entry with monthly subscription, blender is of course free.

I think it would make sense for you to consider what app based on what your goals are. What direction are you wanting to explore? ie. Arch Viz, Character Animation, Product Modeling etc..etc...

If I were to start from scratch I would probably lean towards Modo, but I just can't go there since I'm in love with LW. If I could get Modo's modeler inside LW I would be very happy! However I do a lot of arch viz work and use Octane render inside LW. It's a great combo. Add in LWCAD tools and there really isn't a better choice in my opinion. Of course that is bias because I've been using LW for 15+ years. But I only use about 10% of it at best. There is so much that I don't use it's sad.

I would say Blender is great because it's free, and if it's a hobby free is good! If your wanting to product model or have a great toolset for modeling, I think I would go Modo. If your needing a great render that is fast and easy to use consider Octane with LW (it's also available for Modo, but have no experience with it).

Consider your needs and then test them all out, everyone has a different use and experience so you'll get all kinds of responses as you see. Good luck and have fun!

I'm going with Lightwave based on a couple of things. It's only a hobby for me, so price comes into play, but I don't mind paying for LW over Blender because to me it is more enjoyable to use. I can do much of the modeling right now that LW can do with much cheaper tools, but LW has that extra bit of power that my current modeling tools don't have. Longtime users of LW probably take for granted some of these things, like multishift for one. The ability to create a panel, save or store the settings, and apply the exact same panel across a entire wall. I could create the same panel with Silo or Hexagon, but not repeat it. I would use several operations to create it in the first place, then copy and paste the geometry, snap it into place, and weld the verts. There are many examples that I have found in a week of using the trial like this. I have not even messed with the weight maps yet, but I realize how powerful they can be in Lightwave. Believe me, I'm well aware of Modo, would love to have it as well, but I would buy it straight up, not rent it. I'm not crazy about subscription based software, I want to be able to access my work five years from now and make something new out of it. I like to model buildings, furniture, and mostly Sci-Fi environments. I also like to create a nice looking model with a low poly count. Some of my older models look nice, but they have way too many polys, and in places where it would not be necessary. I think Lightwave is a good fit for me as I continue to grow and learn.

hrgiger
12-05-2017, 07:54 PM
I used Modeler for years and I still use it solely for LWCAD but NT's abandonment of development on Modeler made me look elsewhere and Modo is crazy good for modeling. Mesh Fusion, procedural modeling stack, the action centers and falloff system and being able to add multiple falloffs as well as create your own custom presets via the tool pipe, tool handles and the workplane allow you to work almost exclusively in a single viewport where Modeler constrains you to using a quad view quite a lot, modeling instances, sculpting tools, a robust UV toolset, a full range of deformers (also animatable), retopology tools, fully implemented edges and Catmull Clark Pixar SubD's, smoothing groups/vertex normal toolkit, XYZ symmetry as well as topological symmetry, pattern and soft selections, point and edge sliding, background constraints, Custom display types for active and inactive meshes, advanced viewport with PBR realtime display/environment lighting(real time AA, shadows, ambient occlusion, normal and bump, transparencies, reflections), background items, and of course all in a unified environment with rendering and animation/timeline. All the things modeler doesn't have. It makes modeler look primitive in comparison and its continually improving every new version which is 3 times a year now.

jwiede
12-05-2017, 11:14 PM
and its continually improving every new version which is 3 times a year now.

Well, technically, three revisions per version cycle (as in, version upgrade yields 3 revisions).

Asticles
12-06-2017, 03:42 AM
I'm going with Lightwave based on a couple of things. It's only a hobby for me, so price comes into play, but I don't mind paying for LW over Blender because to me it is more enjoyable to use. I can do much of the modeling right now that LW can do with much cheaper tools, but LW has that extra bit of power that my current modeling tools don't have. Longtime users of LW probably take for granted some of these things, like multishift for one. The ability to create a panel, save or store the settings, and apply the exact same panel across a entire wall. I could create the same panel with Silo or Hexagon, but not repeat it. I would use several operations to create it in the first place, then copy and paste the geometry, snap it into place, and weld the verts. There are many examples that I have found in a week of using the trial like this. I have not even messed with the weight maps yet, but I realize how powerful they can be in Lightwave. Believe me, I'm well aware of Modo, would love to have it as well, but I would buy it straight up, not rent it. I'm not crazy about subscription based software, I want to be able to access my work five years from now and make something new out of it. I like to model buildings, furniture, and mostly Sci-Fi environments. I also like to create a nice looking model with a low poly count. Some of my older models look nice, but they have way too many polys, and in places where it would not be necessary. I think Lightwave is a good fit for me as I continue to grow and learn.

This is the problem. The lack of updates, bug fixes and new features have made Lightwave suitable only for individuals and hobbyists.

It reminds me Carrara.

hrgiger
12-06-2017, 06:39 AM
Well, technically, three revisions per version cycle (as in, version upgrade yields 3 revisions).

Revisions, versions, tomato, tomahto, its new stuff and bug fixes...;)

erikals
12-06-2017, 10:48 AM
well, 25 days to go...

let's see...

https://i.imgur.com/IhCMP8m.png

Norka
12-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Umm... you are thinking maybe it will be released at midnight on New Year's Eve?... :-/

erikals
12-06-2017, 07:11 PM
no,.. though that would be Great.

just a hope. not a complaint. who knows. just waiting over here, nothing more...

ActionBob
12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
Umm... you are thinking maybe it will be released at midnight on New Year's Eve?... :-/

I'll be all alone on New Year's Eve. Lightwave dropping would be great! It would give me something to distract me from my sad and lonely existence.......

:-/

-Adrian

erikals
12-07-2017, 09:47 AM
might be alone too, have pretty much myself to blame though.

having 10 test-projects running, + good friends can be hard to find.

just like girlfriends, friends don't find you. you find them, by socializing with hundreds.

and if there is a family feud, there are only 2 solutions, forgiveness or acceptation/reconciliation.

---------

just sat on the bus, overheard the guy in front of me spending Christmas alone.
it's not as uncommon as one would think. and no shame in it either.

Wickedpup
12-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Well, if you want an underwhelming release to fly under the radar what better time to release it than during the holidays? :D

hrgiger
12-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Yeah cant think of a worse date for a release. Theyre closed anyway then. At least i hope they would be.

erikals
12-07-2017, 11:31 AM
sure, it was meant as a circa.

hypersuperduper
12-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Its coming on December 32nd. Mark your Calendar!

erikals
12-07-2017, 03:39 PM
in LightWave World that is possible.

gar26lw
12-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Yeah cant think of a worse date for a release. Theyre closed anyway then. At least i hope they would be.

they aren't going to release. i think its at least 1st qtr next yr

jwiede
12-07-2017, 08:53 PM

Yeah, a "late 4Q2017 release", without marketing spin-up, etc. seems rather unlikely, as doing so would basically ensure weak sales until at least mid-Jan'18. From the week before Xmas through the week after New Years tech companies tend to be in holiday break. Even for those that stay open, they're usually operating with greatly-reduced staffing, particular w.r.t. higher-level staff with signing authority.

Consumer retail may still do a lot of business in the week right before Xmas, but when it comes to business expenditures it tends to be a bit of a "dead zone".

Chris S. (Fez)
12-07-2017, 09:50 PM
A release is unlikely but I expect a dev update.

They should release the moment it is ready, even if that means New Year's day. If Next is fast and stable social media will start spreading the word and the buzz will build.

No need to wait for the perfect week or moment.

50one
12-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Wow, all businesses needs customers like you guys.

jeric_synergy
12-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Wow, all businesses needs customers like you guys.

You mean "masochists"? --That's fair.

Chris S. (Fez)
12-08-2017, 03:18 AM
LW Group have kept us waiting long enough. Some of us still use Lightwave for day to day work. Release the ******* Kraken.

sk810
12-08-2017, 01:51 PM
.... Release the ******* Kraken.
Very well then...here's the Kraken I animated back in 2000 for a Christian kids show I worked on called Kingdom Under the Sea. :D:D:D. Good times, I miss those days.

We did the whole series in Lightwave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqtIDzHcra8

Trailer (and no we didn't copy Nemo, we came out 3 years before Nemo :) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0zavySGZ-0

I still work for the company but we don't produce content anymore. We recently released the series on Amazon Prime.
https://www.amazon.com/Return-of-The-King/dp/B074PCSPZ1/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1512757851&sr=1-1&keywords=Kingdom+Under+The+Sea

erikals
12-08-2017, 02:22 PM
Good times, I miss those days.
yeah, some of those inventive days with foolish jokes at the office, miss them too   :)

recently released the series on Amazon Prime.
what about Youtube / Vimeo, were they considered ?

sk810
12-08-2017, 04:13 PM
Google Play (youtube rent/buy) considered. Not Vimeo.

sk810
12-12-2017, 02:18 PM
Lightwave 2018 available Jan. 1st
https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/newtek-announces-latest-release-of-lightwave-3d-2018/

ribroast
01-19-2018, 11:02 PM
Hey Lightwavers, just wanted to wrap this up. I've been away from home for the past month, had a minor operation on my knee, and spent the holidays with family 350 miles from here. I used the trial version of LW 2015 for a couple of weeks and decided it did meet my needs. I heard that LW 2018 was coming out on New Years, and thought my entry price might be higher then, so I went ahead and bought the 2015 version. I did get a used copy of LW 9.6 from Ebay, but it could not be registered, the serial was not clean so I did get my money back for that one. I have not had much time to really use it much yet, but I like Lightwave a lot. This morning I upgraded to LW 2018. I had a feeling I would upgrade before the price goes up. I was mostly interested in the modeling side of things to begin with, but since LW 2018 now has BSDF rendering and shaders I thought I would just start to learn about layout starting with LW 2018. That was the main thing I felt that LW was missing, so I am happy that it was implemented, and I feel it is worth the upgrade. I am also happy about the cage deform tool that was added to modeler, I use the one in Hexagon all the time, very handy. I am excited to get back home and dig in to using LW. I am just getting to the point where I can do stuff about as fast with LW as I could with my old modeling software, and I still only know about half of the hot keys that I use a lot, so room for improvement yet. I have just one problem that I can't figure out to date, regarding UV maps on the DP Verdure plug ins, but I will make a new thread regarding that if I don't get it working soon. Thanks for the input everyone.

prometheus
01-20-2018, 09:06 AM
I have just one problem that I can't figure out to date, regarding UV maps on the DP Verdure plug ins, but I will make a new thread regarding that if I don't get it working soon. Thanks for the input everyone.

Is that problem related to growing the trees in layout with displacement modifiers? I have tested the old fertilizer plugin 64 bit, and dp verdure and itīs growth plugin..but it seems these weight map "old" displacement modifier doesnīt recognize the map, or simply just canīt deform the geometry in the new engine.

As for the actual weight map in modeler for dp verdure.. itīs there, just keep in mind to stand on the correct weight map..or it wonīt show up.

Michael