PDA

View Full Version : So... Maya is now shiped without a production renderer?

Cageman
11-24-2017, 06:45 PM
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2017/ENU/Maya/files/GUID-AD1E74F3-471A-4B5D-8FB0-9E4EC6EC5252-htm.html

From what I understand from that text, it seems that if you really want to render something out, you are forced to purchase a license of Arnold.

Am I reading this right?

gar26lw
11-24-2017, 08:09 PM
you can render stills and anim sequences with arnold, including render layers. its just if you want to render in a farm. kinda like lightwave screamernet was separate and to use farm or render via command line batch was separate. as i understand it.

Chris S. (Fez)
11-24-2017, 08:13 PM
Workstation license is included with Maya and Max. You can render sequences but no network rendering.

Arnold has made Max massively more useable for me. NewTek will hopefully pitch Next with free unlimited network rendering to the many disgruntled AD customers.

Surrealist.
11-24-2017, 08:54 PM
Yes. This was massively misunderstood on initial release. V.2017 I think.

The good news is Arnold can be rented on a node basis. So you could, if need be, rent nodes on a job by job basis.

It should be noted however that this was the same arrangement as with Mental Ray. With a stand alone licence you only had rendering on the host computer. You had to by a network licence to render nodes and it was limited to a total of 5.