PDA

View Full Version : Looking to create a spray paint effect

ericsmith
11-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Does anyone have a method for created a "painted on" effect using nodes and effectors?

Let's say you create an effector null that applies color to a surface within a certain range. But I want to make the color "stick" even when the effector moves away, like painting with a can of spray paint.

I've got a Worley plugin called acid that was designed to do this, but in my case, I'm actually trying to erase a bump map with the effector, and acid doesn't quite have what I need to do this.

Thanks for any insights...

Eric

rustythe1
11-16-2017, 05:03 PM
ive never used it myself so cant say how to set it up, but dosnt the procedural texture "marker pen" do this?

MSherak
11-16-2017, 05:26 PM
Does anyone have a method for created a "painted on" effect using nodes and effectors?

Let's say you create an effector null that applies color to a surface within a certain range. But I want to make the color "stick" even when the effector moves away, like painting with a can of spray paint.

I've got a Worley plugin called acid that was designed to do this, but in my case, I'm actually trying to erase a bump map with the effector, and acid doesn't quite have what I need to do this.

Thanks for any insights...

Eric

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

In this collection there is a procedural called particle paint. Should do the trick.

ericsmith
11-16-2017, 05:52 PM
Hey, thanks! Marker pen should do the trick.

eric

MonroePoteet
11-17-2017, 04:21 PM
A couple of things about the DP Texture's Marker Pen procedural. First, although I really like it and it works pretty well, it does crash Layout sometimes, so save your scene regularly when you make significant changes. Very specifically, you can't Copy and Paste MarkerPen layers in the Surface Editor without crashing Layout on the Paste. So, if you need multiple Marker Pens on the same Surface, always use Add Layer - kind of a pain to re-setup the Marker Pen, but better than crashing and losing other work!

Second, Marker Pen gets pretty slow in VPR if you use it quite a bit. If this becomes a problem, you might set up separate scenes to expose the next letter using the output of the previous scene as the base texture on which Marker Pen will write.

Finally, when "writing" text (as it sounds like you may be going to do), instead of trying to draw the text with Marker Pen, I've had better luck creating the text as an object or a drawn image and using MarkerPen to expose it using the Transparency channel. In the attached scene, I created a geometric Text object (not trying for the spray paint effect but to just show the method), setting its Transparency to 100% and using Marker Pen on the Transparency channel with a -100% Texture Value. See the attached scene.

138602 138603
138604 138605

The attached scene uses Splines to move each of the successive Nulls (called Marker_1 through Marker_8), with eight Marker Pen Layers in the Surface Editor under the Transparency texture. The Curve for each Spline can be created in Modeler by putting the letter to be drawn in the background and using Add Points to right-click each successive point along the "natural" strokes used to create each letter, or at least the strokes that I'd use. Each Marker_n Null is moved down the Z axis at the appropriate frame interval, moving the MarkerPen along the strokes of the letter. The Frame Range in each Marker Pen is set to the starting frame when the Null starts to move.

You'll note that a small portions of some of the side-strokes are exposed too early as the Marker Pen passes, but that could be fine tuned by moving the appropriate Spline node(s) to fit the edge of the Marker Pen to the edge of the current stroke. Unfortunately, the Radius Envelope doesn't allow changing the radius for a *portion* of a letter, but effects the entire "output" of that Marker Pen.

If you wanted to expose a drawn image, you could also use this method with a 100% transparency to expose through a bottom sheet with the drawn lettering / spray paint on it through a top sheet obscuring the bottom sheet until the Marker Pen passes.

Have fun!
mTp

MonroePoteet
11-17-2017, 05:12 PM
P.S. The DP Kit and DP Textures and other plugins provided by Denis are really, really valuable. Remember to support Denis financially if you can!

mTp

stiff paper
11-18-2017, 03:58 AM
If all else fails, then your emergency last resort is to bake an image sequence of your "writing" and simply use it as an alpha in the bump channel. At least that'll definitely work.

MonroePoteet
11-18-2017, 07:53 AM
Re-reading my post, I didn't give the details on creating the curves in Modeler and the Spline setup. You use Add Points, right-clicking each succesive point for the "natural" strokes to draw the letter, then use CTRL-P to create the curve. These go in separate layers, one for each letter. Then, in Layout, use Setup=>Curve To Spline to create the Spline, set each Marker_n Null to have its Motion Options=>Spline Control to be the appropriate Spline. Finally, move the Marker_n down the Z axis during the appropriate frame range to draw the next letter.

mTp