PDA

View Full Version : What are the Licensing Requirements/ Costs for Publishing Games made in UNITY/ UNREAL

robertoortiz
11-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Hey guys, I work for a government agency and we are developing cross platform interactive content. We were wondering about the ACTUAL cost of publishing games made with UNITY OR UNREAL specially considering that we are a goverment unit with no budget...

Any help would be appreciated.

-R

autojive
11-07-2017, 08:22 AM
If this is something that will not be sold or done for an outside agency for a fee (and not a "game" in the traditional sense), you might be able to get away with using Unreal for no fee. You can ask on their answer hub with specifics and someone from Epic can clarify for you. They're usually pretty good at responding as well. https://answers.unrealengine.com/spaces/31/legal-licensing.html

For Unity, if your department's budget is more than $100k a year, you'll have to subscribe to their highest tier plan for at least a year.

robertoortiz
11-07-2017, 08:30 AM
If this is something that will not be sold or done for an outside agency for a fee (and not a "game" in the traditional sense), you might be able to get away with using Unreal for no fee. You can ask on their answer hub with specifics and someone from Epic can clarify for you. They're usually pretty good at responding as well. https://answers.unrealengine.com/spaces/31/legal-licensing.html

For Unity, if your department's budget is more than $100k a year, you'll have to subscribe to their highest tier plan for at least a year.

We are planning simple educational games to teach kids about IP. The idea would be that the games would be distributed pn both the Apple Store and the Android store for free.

And yes my office has a budget of less than 100k.

Marander
11-07-2017, 08:51 AM
We are planning simple educational games to teach kids about IP. The idea would be that the games would be distributed pn both the Apple Store and the Android store for free.

In your case you should have a look into Unreal Dev Grant, they created a fund of $ 5 Mio for such projects. They don't even ask for money back if you're successful as far as I know.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/unrealdevgrants

Good luck!

Edit:

Epic has created a $5,000,000 development fund to provide financial grants to innovative projects built in and around Unreal Engine 4. Awards range from $5,000 to $50,000, and there are no strings attached: you continue to own your IP, are free to publish however you wish, and can use the grant funds without any restrictions or obligations to Epic.

autojive
11-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Well, if the plan is to distribute the game for free, then you will not have to owe Epic any royalties. Definitely look into the dev grants that Marander is talking about as well.

If your income is less than $100K, you can use the "Plus" version for $35/month. I'm not sure how the free version would work for you, legally, but it can be worth looking into.

I would probably use Unity if your intent is to run these on mobile since that is its main focus.

Lito
11-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Be sure to read their licensing pages on unreal, but IIRC unreal is based on the gross of the company not just your office. So if you are part of a larger company, that $100k is based on your organization's gross income not your sub branch's budget.

Rayek
11-09-2017, 12:39 AM
As an alternative with no strings attached, perhaps consider Godot as well. Open source, and a joy to work with. Version 3 is just around the corner.

https://godotengine.org/

Danner
11-09-2017, 01:54 AM
There are other free alternatives with no royalties or other possible charges, like Amazon's Lumberjack and it's relative Cryengine, which has gone completely free also. But you'll find more learning and troubleshooting resources for Unreal and (even more for Unity) than the less common engines.