PDA

View Full Version : EMERGENCY - Can't render an AVI

svbell
12-21-2003, 10:15 PM
I have to get this job done, delivery deadline: tomorrow night, 24 hours to go, and I lost my whole day today trying to work around a bug that prevent an AVI to render normally. Rendering process always stop precisely in the middle of the run. 18 minutes clip, stops at 9 exactly, all the time.

Tried installing the latest patch from NewTek, tried various compression settings, no luck. This is not funny at all inm production environment.

Any advice please, I am going nuts and can't afford not ddelivering tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

sv

bradl
12-21-2003, 10:39 PM
I sure other users would advise you with lots of things to check, like disk space, cache space, fragmentation, etc. If all the normal things look good and you have lots of disk space, try rendering to RTV and see if you can get that to go all the way. If so, then convert the RTV (Right-Click from FileBin) to whatever format you chose. Workaround for sure but might get you done in time...

You could render the RTV to any drive if space is tight.

svbell
12-21-2003, 11:26 PM
I don't have enough space for RTV, sadly.

I thought I could dump everything to MiniDV, and re-capture the whole thing to get the AVI. For that, I needed to render the sections here and there that do not playback real-time, and surprise surprise, when rendering these short clips using the 'render selected time range' function, I realize they are not generated at 100% speed, they're always playing faster than normally. I checked the speed, everything is 100%, but it just won't render at the specified speed and generate something that is around 142% speed.

Why oh why does this always happen when a paying job is to be delivered.

bradl
12-21-2003, 11:52 PM
Maybe try the AVI wrapper and render from WMP, AE, Premier Pro or whatever...

Sounds like a codec problem with a bad setting but this is definately not my strong area. Hopefully Eugene or one of the guys will read this before the deadline. Post your details of file type, format, settings and system.

I would call Tech support tomorrow, or your dealer.

A quick suggestion for disk space problems is add a firewire drive. We just added two 200GB ones last week and that sure eased up the storage fight, for a while at least. The Firewire enclosure will run about $50 and the drive about $150. Just plugin drive go to disk manager, partition drive with quick format, choose drive letter and you are ready to go in minutes.

Best wishes...

Tom Wood
12-22-2003, 03:55 AM
Hey Brad,

Could you point me at some info on those firewire enclosure/disk setups? When I asked about this at CompUsa, they never heard of it, just a regular firewire external.

Thanks,

TW

RomainR
12-22-2003, 08:43 AM
Svbell,

what settings are you using to render out your stuff?

Gimme a call if you want I'm here all day long.

450-466-0777

bradl
12-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Tom Wood
Could you point me at some info on those firewire enclosure/disk setups? When I asked about this at CompUsa, they never heard of it, just a regular firewire external. We picked up a pair of em at Altex for $48 a piece. They are the exact same units Digital Juice sold us a while back. Here is a quick list of examples: Firewire External Enclosures (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_attrib.php?page_id=351&form_keyword=Firewire+External+Enclosure&ut=43096f66657bc166). Altex also had a USB2 unit and there are units that will let you use either, like this one (http://store.yahoo.com/dealsonic/bymecoidetof.html).

svbell
12-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by RomainR
Svbell,
what settings are you using to render out your stuff?
Gimme a call if you want I'm here all day long.
450-466-0777

Hi Romain - Nice talking to you yesterday!
I finally made it thru with the Force Render function. Playback was finally real-time, dump the project to MiniDV, and re-capture in DV2, dump to DVD and voilą! Job has been delivered on time, but I felt like in the memorable Jaws scene when Romy Scheider is fastening the barrels while the shark is running away with the bait...!

This proves something else: a software is one thing, and its community is everything.

Thanks to all and especially Romain. I owe you one.
-sv

P.S.: When I recaptured the footage, there was no problem with the AVI file, or with the codec, so likely the problem comes with the loaded hard drives. As soon as I delete this completed project I will try it again and see if the problem is still there, but I doubt it will. -sv

Paul Lara
12-23-2003, 07:16 AM
Glad to hear the best news: you made your deadline.

RomainR
12-23-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm glad to see you got it out Sylvain,

I figured that no news was da good news.

svbell
12-23-2003, 11:20 AM
Hehe didn't want to bug you at work too much! Maybe we've met before without knowing it, I used to hang around at La Fabrique d'Image, Video-30, Bloom Films and RSB video. Met tons of people working in the field, but many of them I never got to know their names...! :o)

We should go out for a drink one of these days!

sv