PDA

View Full Version : Nodes - Ripples

Mr. Wilde
10-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Hi, I'm trying to create a water surface, and use displacement nodes on a subpatch plane. Is there a way to have a Ripple node emit a single ripple?

And is there are way to have an object cause ripples? E.g. a cube dropping into the plane, causing waves?

Sensei
10-30-2017, 10:11 AM
To create single ripple, use Wave Sources 1.

Try using Reference Object some Null.

To control how it fades away you will need f.e. Vector > Distance with Position and your object World Position as params, and converted by Gradient, and then multiplied by Scale with vector.

MonroePoteet
10-30-2017, 03:43 PM
RE: dropping a cube onto a plane, I'm not sure what effect you're looking for but you might have some luck with ClothFX and a Collision object. Sample scene attached.

The basic setup is a flat box with 40x40 segments, subpatched and tripled. Tripling the surface makes the waves respond better. The outside edge of points has a Weight map applied at 100% called FixedCloth. The Collision object is a simple cube.

In Layout, apply ClothFX (Object Properties => FX tab) to the 40x40 surface, set the Fixed portion to the Weight map. Apply Collision to the Cube in the FX tab, setting the Probability to 50% so it passes through the surface after stretching it.

The parameters for ClothFX can then be changed to try to get the effect you want. I started with the Silk preset (etc tab under ClothFX), and moved every parameter down to quite low except Spring. You might want more Viscosity, Substructure, etc. Even though small changes in the Cloth parameters can have significant changes in the effect, my recommendation is to make large changes to each parameter to see the gross change in effect, then narrow in on the appropriate value.

Good luck!
mTp

P.S. Note that you need to press "Calculate" on the FX tab to calculate the Cloth displacement.

prometheus
11-03-2017, 01:22 PM
clothfx may work for ripples and collisions, wakes, a bit of time to set up and it may calculate slow depending on detail and resolution.

there was a good free ripple wake plugin that was broken in the later lw versions unfortunately.
otherwise as sensei mentioned, you can reference a null, or use clothfx, or even get dpontīs marker pen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_nW8izrHYs

prometheus
11-05-2017, 10:57 AM
You can ofcourse use both clothfx and use a collision object as I did with the sharky drone sample above, it requires some tweaking and understanding to get the"water" look, and it takes considerably longer to calculate as opposed to just displacement.
you can simple reference a null, for nodes without going in to advanced in nodes ..getting a fade away look I think can be done with the marker pen which has dissolve options over time, and if you feed the ripple or other animated procedural textures like underwater..in to the falloff of the marker pen node, that should yield displacement only where the marker pen rererence is, and the reference is here a simple null.

See sample image, unfortunately I didnīt managed to tweak to a good wake or ripple before it crashed, that seems to have been an issue with either 2015 or the dpont nodes, and especially the marker pen node.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=138467&d=1509904611

Sensei
11-06-2017, 01:05 AM
Disable multi-threaded mesh evaluation in the Preferences..

And use Tools >Make Vector instead of direct alpha scalar->Falloff.

prometheus
11-07-2017, 10:40 AM
Disable multi-threaded mesh evaluation in the Preferences..

And use Tools >Make Vector instead of direct alpha scalar->Falloff.

Multi threaded? you mean threaded mesh evaluation right? the function may be as you say, but the proper check box is threaded evaluation, unless refering to older versions..it has been unchecked so that is most likely not the issue.
I will however try the "proper" way of connecting the nodes and try make vector..if it persists, itīs something else.
Thanks.