PDA

View Full Version : Fabric Engine no longer being developed

samurai_x
10-28-2017, 08:47 AM
http://fabricengine.com/

Did they get bought? Or officially dead. Ran out of money?

Schwyhart
10-28-2017, 03:43 PM
Wasn't Fabric Engine somehow integrated in with MODO? It was at least talked about being integrated...Last version of MODO I have is 801.

m.d.
10-28-2017, 05:38 PM
if they didn't say anything...they were bought

jwiede
10-28-2017, 07:47 PM
if they didn't say anything...they were bought

Actually, the site says "Please note that we are no longer developing our software platform and tools." That rather clearly indicates they aren't involved anymore, so if their tech was bought, it was likely as a "fire sale". A shame too, as they really seemed to be making good progress.

m.d.
10-28-2017, 08:52 PM
Actually, the site says "Please note that we are no longer developing our software platform and tools." That rather clearly indicates they aren't involved anymore, so if their tech was bought, it was likely as a "fire sale". A shame too, as they really seemed to be making good progress.

I see it as "we" as in fabric engine corporate....not personally. Would almost bet they have developers that went with the code.

Seen this exact thing on a few instances, which later were revealed to be huge acquisitions.

I can't see shutting down the forums, social media and all other communication venues instantly without warning cause your going bankrupt(facebook and forums)...far more likely if someone want a lid on it while a deal is closing

samurai_x
10-29-2017, 04:51 AM
Maybe pooby knows something.

hrgiger
10-29-2017, 06:26 AM
I sent Paul (pooby) a message on skype on friday asking him about it but he hasnt been on skype since then. Dont know if he knows or if hed be allowed to say anything anyway.

ianr
10-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Great pity,

Lets hope it resurfaces in some form or another, maybe Andrew Cross bought it in (te Heh)

samurai_x
10-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Maybe Newtek bought it. Bwahahaha!

Photogram
10-29-2017, 09:44 AM
This is old news but it is evident that when getting huge amount of money from Autodesk it means that Autodesk will grab the techno at any moment...

(Montreal, Canada--December 17, 2013) Today it was announced that Fabric Software Inc. (formerly Fabric Engine Inc.) has secured a round of investment from former Senior Autodesk VP Marc Petit, and two founders of the Montreal VFX firm Hybride Technologies (now a part of Ubisoft). This incoming capital will give the team at Fabric the resources they need to further develop their core technology and the Fabric Engine™. Fabric Engine is a development platform that enables content creation studios to reduce the cost and risk of building high-performance tools and applications.

About Fabric Software
Fabric Software is a software engineering company founded in 2010 in Montreal, Canada by a group of well-known developers from Softimage and Autodesk. Known for their work on CAT and ICE, the team has a collective expertise in parallel computing, hardware optimization, software architecture, design, animation, rendering and production workflows. They are now applying their collective experience to Fabric Software and its Fabric Engine Platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Another great Quebec company taken by american giant Autodesk...

hrgiger
10-29-2017, 09:48 AM
That says former senior autodesk vp and a few people from ubisoft.

Photogram
10-29-2017, 09:57 AM
Yeah maybe the techno is now being used at Autodesk, Ubisoft and Hybride exclusively.

m.d.
10-29-2017, 11:39 AM
Former VP...not autodesk itself. No autodesk money in that deal. His money personally.

Marc was also chairman of the board of fabric engine, and now is way up with the unreal group.

And he’s a québécois so no big American company takeover.

There no evidence to support autodesk would have any involvement, so exclusivity is a stretch.

Unreal may be involved....more in their wheelhouse as a game engine developer vs Ubisoft who is an end user of their product ....and especially seeing that the former fabric COB is general manager at unreal

hrgiger
10-29-2017, 11:44 AM
Yeah exactly what i was getting at m.d. nothing to suggest its AD. Its just history that makes us assume.

m.d.
10-29-2017, 11:47 AM
I would actually put my money on unreal engine...or whoever their parent is. High level content creation inside the engine would be pretty handy, and probably integrate into their blueprint nodal structure nicely.

jwiede
10-29-2017, 07:17 PM
I see it as "we" as in fabric engine corporate....not personally. Would almost bet they have developers that went with the code.

I've seen no evidence there ever was a "Fabric Engine Corporate". The people that have been speaking there were, by and large, developers.

jwiede
10-29-2017, 07:19 PM
That says former senior autodesk vp and a few people from ubisoft.

Yeah, investment by former senior AD VP is _very_ different from investment by AD itself. Y'all have some odd misconceptions on how business and finance work.

m.d.
10-30-2017, 12:36 AM
I've seen no evidence there ever was a "Fabric Engine Corporate". The people that have been speaking there were, by and large, developers.

The bottom header of the webpage....
Fabric Software Inc...

By definition a corporation.

Filed recently, so corporation probably not dissolving.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=7612044

m.d.
10-30-2017, 12:48 AM
Yeah, investment by former senior AD VP is _very_ different from investment by AD itself. Y'all have some odd misconceptions on how business and finance work.

Y’all should read the replies fully before assuming the superiority of your business acumen:)

jwiede
10-30-2017, 01:23 AM
The bottom header of the webpage....
Fabric Software Inc...

By definition a corporation.

Filed recently, so corporation probably not dissolving.
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?corpId=7612044

You knew what I meant, but by all means, I'll clarify: They never seemed to possess much in the way of corporate infrastructure or extensive non-technical staffing, there certainly wasn't much evidence of it in their various forum interactions, etc. The notion that the tech and developers were bought, and it's the "corporate cadre" stating they are no longer "developing" it (which would also be an odd choice of words, coming from non-developers) seems a bit far-fetched. There are some significant corporate GAAP problems with that proposed outcome as well.

jwiede
10-30-2017, 01:25 AM
Y’all should read the replies fully before assuming the superiority of your business acumen:)

What makes you think I was referring to you with my comment?

m.d.
10-30-2017, 11:13 AM
What makes you think I was referring to you with my comment?

I didn’t really think you did :)
But y’all is short for ‘you all’ meaning everybody but me

m.d.
10-30-2017, 11:22 AM
You knew what I meant, but by all means, I'll clarify: They never seemed to possess much in the way of corporate infrastructure or extensive non-technical staffing, there certainly wasn't much evidence of it in their various forum interactions, etc. The notion that the tech and developers were bought, and it's the "corporate cadre" stating they are no longer "developing" it (which would also be an odd choice of words, coming from non-developers) seems a bit far-fetched. There are some significant corporate GAAP problems with that proposed outcome as well.

I suspected what you meant...but you are usually precise with your words....I’ll admit I was in a bit of a argumentative mood at 1am :)

I agree with you...there’s not much corporate beyond the developers.
We will see of course how it all plays out...a lot of speculation here, all we can say for certain is fabric engine is not being developed by fabric software.

Whether they sold the tech, and handed it off completely...or are contributing to the development in some manner either in transition or under contract....or if it just simply abandoned is all possibilities.

samurai_x
10-30-2017, 09:18 PM
Damn if unreal gets it I'll be mega happy. Sticking to a few mainstream appz now and don't regret dropping smaller tools.

ianr
11-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Well fire- sale it maybe , got no buyers name on a Bankruptcy purchase

or a 'Consumer Proposal' in Canada to avoid the above.

QUOTE cgchannel :Vincent said:
I live in montreal, know of the founders personally. sorry to burst people’s bubble
but they didn’t get bought out or made a ton of cash.
Sadly they went bankrupt hence they can’t disclose any information for now.
1:22 am on Tuesday, October 31, 2017

yeh unreal NIICE!!!

samurai_x
11-01-2017, 11:17 PM
http://www.cgchannel.com/2017/10/fabric-software-discontinues-fabric-engine/

Too bad they don't have a video hardware division to sustain the bleeding.