PDA

View Full Version : Skype video randomly freezes using NDI transmit

studio_DC
10-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Hello, I am trying to figure out how to diagnose this issue.

Windows 10 PC running Wirecast and Skype.

Video is coming into PC via Wirecast grabbing either RTSP stream coming direct out of studio camera, or grabbing RTSP stream out of Extron SMP 351 (which gets fed from camera - Panasonic AW-HE40.)

PC is running Skype 7.4.0.103.

I start Wirecast, tried different canvas settings and also NDI output settings down to 360p.

Start NDI output from Wirecast. Start NDI Transmit. NDI Transmit gets Wirecast audio/video. Start Skype. Under Tools->Video Options select NDI. Wirecast output shows up and no issues in preview.

Initiate Skype call. Depending, it can be 30 sec to 5 minutes for the person I'm calling to see the video freeze up. I've tried quitting Skype and restarting which does not work. Quititng Skype and stopping NDI transmit also doesn't work. I have do that, plus stop NDI output from Wirecast, then restart NDI output, and then NDI transmit, finally re-start Skype and then video will work until the next freeze up.

I am unsure if the issue is with NDI transmit, is there a way to diagnose what is going on with why Skype would lock up this way using the NDI input?

kanep
10-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Is that Skype 7.40 or 7.4? Version 7.4 is from over two years ago, I would update.

If you use NDI Studio Monitor to receive the signal from Wirecast does it have any problems?

Can you try NDI Transmit with another webcam application to see if that works okay? I just tried this one (link below, doesn't require installation) for over 10 minutes with no playback issues.
http://bustatech.com/webcam-viewer-v3-5-released/

studio_DC
10-29-2017, 04:56 PM
Is that Skype 7.40 or 7.4? Version 7.4 is from over two years ago, I would update.

If you use NDI Studio Monitor to receive the signal from Wirecast does it have any problems?

Can you try NDI Transmit with another webcam application to see if that works okay? I just tried this one (link below, doesn't require installation) for over 10 minutes with no playback issues.
http://bustatech.com/webcam-viewer-v3-5-released/

I did an install from the latest- 7.40. So, there is no more recent version of Skype.

I was able to test yesterday using the in-house network. Installed Skype and NDI Transmit (trial version) on another PC. This PC is outside the subnet that the Wirecast/studio PC lives on.

I was able to set the NDI output in Wirecast, grab it on the 2nd PC, and then make a Skype call using NDI transmit with the network video source. Didn't appear to have connection issues.

So, it may be the PC that is having issues. is there a way I can look at the resources being used that would tell me if the video freeze issue is related to either a) bandwidth coming out of the subnet and going to Skype or b) resource use on the original studio PC.

The only warning that pops up on Skype on the studio PC is bandwidth. It says the PC is fine for sending high quality video.

I'm debating a recommendation for getting the VS-100 for a permanent solution, but if the issue is bandwidth on the studio subnet I would want to figure out if that is the issue first.

studio_DC
10-30-2017, 08:48 AM
I think I have isolated the issue down to wirecast as opposed to NDI. Tried another test connection today. Started output through wirecast as virtual camera. Started skype call, and the picture went black. Stopped virtual camera, started NDI output in wirecast. Frame was locked (I have the clock overlay going). Stopped NDI, then re-started NDI. Went to 2nd PC on network and used NDI desktop monitor to check video signal, was still locked on the same frame.