PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a spline onto another object?

squarewulf
10-27-2017, 03:57 PM
I know there is a way to do this but I can't remember exactly how.

I basically have a sphereish shaped object with a textured vein applied to it. I need to trace that vein so that it is a spline that follows the surface perfectly. If I just use point create and click on the surface in the perspective viewport it does not get created on the surface, dumb.

lertola2
10-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Draw a spline and then use heat shrink to push it onto your object.

squarewulf
10-27-2017, 06:00 PM
Draw a spline and then use heat shrink to push it onto your object.

Not accurate enough.

I know there's a way to draw points directly on to another object.

Ztreem
10-27-2017, 06:10 PM
There was a free plugin that created point on background layer and moved points on background layer. Can be they are only 32bit, canít remember. Otherwise Blender is a superb plugin to use. Heatshrink should do fine.

Ztreem
10-27-2017, 06:19 PM
You can also use drill and soliddrill to get point on the surface and use those to create a spline.

Sensei
10-27-2017, 06:32 PM
I know there is a way to do this but I can't remember exactly how.

I basically have a sphereish shaped object with a textured vein applied to it. I need to trace that vein so that it is a spline that follows the surface perfectly. If I just use point create and click on the surface in the perspective viewport it does not get created on the surface, dumb.

In TrueArt's Modeling Pack http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
there is interactive tool Push (http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/Push#Top). It's working on Win 32/64 and Mac32/64.

Put mesh to bg layer.
Draw spline in fg layer.
Use Push interactive tool.
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/Push/Graphics/Movies/Push_1.mov

RMB adjust tolerance. Then click on point on spline and move mouse, and it's adjust to bg mesh..

Surrealist.
10-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Yeah to follow the image you need to be able to snap to the surface while editing.

But another method might be to sort out a way to use the image directly to create geo. A displacement frozen. Pick points or edges from the resulting mesh as a start point for the spline.

Finally another thing I would try is use add edges on a subdivided version of the object in textured view. Use those edges as a start for creating the spline.,

squarewulf
10-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Here's what I did that worked the best, kind of a strange set up but it worked.

I created a simple ray cast system using a camera as the ray source and then a null to follow the direction to my surface. I went into the camera view, zoomed in, turned on the field chart and simply traced the textured vein over about 120 frames making a key frame every 3 frames. I was then able to use the nulls motion as a curve.

Seems kind of backwards but worked out quite well in the end. Using this method I didn't actually need a curve at all and I can tweak the movement as needed by just adjusting the designated camera.

Surrealist.
10-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Creative. 😊