PDA

View Full Version : LW Shortcut keys in Modo

tcoursey
10-27-2017, 02:18 PM
I'm going to ask in the Modo forums as well...but though since it's related to LW I'd start here.

Does anyone have a Modo shortcuts file that was created for a LW user. Meaning as many compatible shortcuts for LW have been translated to Modo?

I'm exploring options as we wait for NEXT and this would make it much easier to play around with and make familiar. Thanks.

hrgiger
10-27-2017, 02:56 PM
Generally as i have worked in Modo if i wanted to change a shortcut key to something to the way it is in Lw i have just done it as i have gone a long. So say something like ctrl w to weld points. Its really easy in modo. Just drag up the command window in the bottom right. After you have run a command it will appear in the window. If you right click it, you can choose to assign a short cut key. It will overwrite one if one is already assigned to that key combo.

Snosrap
10-27-2017, 07:29 PM
I've contemplated doing the same thing tcoursey. For the most part Modo collects dust on my PC with the exception of some UV and other things it's really good at. I thought of doing that a few years ago and was warned against it as I could be giving up some really nice Modo workflows - basically being told to learn the Modo way. I think now that I have stopped upgrading at 601 I should just go ahead and do it- screw the Modo ways and make it work as much like LW as possible. Maybe I'll actually use it more. It's a great tool but really slow and clicky when you have to use the menus. :)

gar26lw
10-27-2017, 08:41 PM
i find it much faster if programs are aligned with kb. i’d go for it

Schwyhart
10-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Just be careful you don't overwrite a command already in use. Going from LW, to Maya, to MODO, then back to LW, I have always found it easier to just use the default shortcuts in each application. It takes me about a week to get my brain acclimated. I always print off or open in a separate window a list of shortcuts until I memorize them.
LW being text based buttons was easier to remember the short cuts because the shortcuts are on the button themselves.
Speaking of...if LW Next isn't out by the end of the year, I'm moving to Blender.

jeric_synergy
10-28-2017, 01:40 AM
Since I think the LW/LWM default keys are among the stupidest ever chosen, (except for the Mac Media 100, eff those guys with a rusty pitchfork), I can't recommend it.

Whoever chose the LW keys showed a blatant disregard for any kind of logic as to how the app would be used.

gar26lw
10-28-2017, 07:05 AM
Since I think the LW/LWM default keys are among the stupidest ever chosen, (except for the Mac Media 100, eff those guys with a rusty pitchfork), I can't recommend it.

Whoever chose the LW keys showed a blatant disregard for any kind of logic as to how the app would be used.

tradition? :P

jeric_synergy
10-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Using bucky keys for super-common operations?

Using high value Function keys for obscure subsystems?

Those are the two stupidities in the LW default key assignments I was referring to.

tcoursey
10-30-2017, 07:21 AM
Just be careful you don't overwrite a command already in use. Going from LW, to Maya, to MODO, then back to LW, I have always found it easier to just use the default shortcuts in each application. It takes me about a week to get my brain acclimated. I always print off or open in a separate window a list of shortcuts until I memorize them.
LW being text based buttons was easier to remember the short cuts because the shortcuts are on the button themselves.
Speaking of...if LW Next isn't out by the end of the year, I'm moving to Blender.

I too have downloaded Blender 2.79...I always get about 5 mins into it and bank my head against the wall! It's so backwards to me. I can't even draw out a polygon with a PEN tool. I think it has a lot to offer for a remarkable price :) But just can't ever get anywhere with it...

I kind of do the same with Modo every year or so as I patiently wait for my favorite program to bring something new, I'm still on 11.6.3 waiting for a reason to upgrade for my projects/workflow. It's much better since it's more familiar but it too has gone astray from LW, for good reasons I'm sure.

I'd like to be able to move to Modo if NEXT never comes out (I honestly have to think that might be the case, but I'm really hoping not) Need a backup plan so I could move to it within a couple of years. I'd be happy working with 11.6.3 for a while, but as other things get innovated and features around me make me slow or not as efficient this dinosaur will have to move on.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Seems like a couple of good ways to think about it. I like doing things native, as hopefully there was some thought to why they chose them. However if I'm going to only use it now and again, I don't want to memorize different keys for each. Hoping NEXT is our Christmas Present!!!