PDA

View Full Version : Offsetting Instances frame to use

Ma3rk
10-26-2017, 12:41 PM
Some years ago with 11.x I had instancing working with an offset to the baked mdd motion. I'm trying to make a simple flocking scene but can't seem to find the correct settings now.

Not sure if this might be a factor, but the model/scene is very old, possibly back to 5.6. Bones were actually done in Modeler then imported into layout. Basic scene still works fine in 2015.3 though.

I used MD baker and created a 15 frame MDD file. I run it then uncheck it's On box in the Object Props tab. I then use the MDD Multi loader, add the MDD file & made a few setting choices & OK it.

The MDD gets applied to the instances, but they're all using the same movement, there's no offset to which frame to use. When I check the Object properties, the MD_Reader has been added & enabled, but when double clicking it, it's just the smaller MD Reader Setting box. If I change the frame offset there, they all change the same. Tried setting an offset in the Instance tab and get the same. Doesn't seem to matter which type of Instance Generation (except for particles, etc.), they're all using the same frame.

What might I be overlooking or did I miss a step?

laswaver
10-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Some years ago with 11.x I had instancing working with an offset to the baked mdd motion. I'm trying to make a simple flocking scene but can't seem to find the correct settings now.

Not sure if this might be a factor, but the model/scene is very old, possibly back to 5.6. Bones were actually done in Modeler then imported into layout. Basic scene still works fine in 2015.3 though.

I used MD baker and created a 15 frame MDD file. I run it then uncheck it's On box in the Object Props tab. I then use the MDD Multi loader, add the MDD file & made a few setting choices & OK it.

The MDD gets applied to the instances, but they're all using the same movement, there's no offset to which frame to use. When I check the Object properties, the MD_Reader has been added & enabled, but when double clicking it, it's just the smaller MD Reader Setting box. If I change the frame offset there, they all change the same. Tried setting an offset in the Instance tab and get the same. Doesn't seem to matter which type of Instance Generation (except for particles, etc.), they're all using the same frame.

What might I be overlooking or did I miss a step?

The only way this is possible is with dp instance or hd instance... the volumetric versions. DP is a better option, is free, nodal, and still works with current version. Remember you need the volumetric version.
Here is an animation that this really awesome guy made using this tool to offset a deformation similar to what you want to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy2_colia-I

and here is the link to the plug...

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/DP_Instance.html

Ma3rk
10-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Thanks. I'll give all that a look this weekend then.

I looked at an earlier scene and it appears I'd given up trying to get it to work with a single instance and just imported multiple copies of the model & just applied the mdd to each separately & offset that way.

laswaver
10-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks. I'll give all that a look this weekend then.

I looked at an earlier scene and it appears I'd given up trying to get it to work with a single instance and just imported multiple copies of the model & just applied the mdd to each separately & offset that way.

If your objects are not very complex (less than 500,000 polys in all together) you are better off using part move and mdds to do this. That would be the best option for something like this if its not a ton of polys.

Ma3rk
10-26-2017, 11:03 PM
It's less than 2500 polys but just one object and only deformed with bones.

Does Denis have a PDF on the plug-in or just the web page notes?

Ma3rk
10-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Hmmm. Having an issue. I've installed the latest available of DP_Instancer_x64.zip and able to add the DP Instancer in the object panel, but when it comes to adding DP Instance to the Volumetric panel, it isn't in the list.

Any idea or should I perhaps contact Denis directly?

laswaver
10-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Hmmm. Having an issue. I've installed the latest available of DP_Instancer_x64.zip and able to add the DP Instancer in the object panel, but when it comes to adding DP Instance to the Volumetric panel, it isn't in the list.

Any idea or should I perhaps contact Denis directly?

There are 2 versions on that page dp instance... the first one on the page that is the volume version, and dp instancer that is not.

Ma3rk
10-27-2017, 08:03 PM
OK, thanks. I found it.

DP_Instance and DP Instancer on the SAME page! Really? If that isn't confusing I don't know what is.