PDA

View Full Version : work around for a "missing" source during Live Production

bbailey
10-25-2017, 03:11 PM
I've had a few instances of a source, usually a camera, which disappears from the Tricaster desktop once the show has begun. The first couple of times this happened I was fortunate to have not gone live yet. I found that by re-booting the Tricaster the source would appear. Because of this fact and since I'm usually at the stadium earlier than my crew and have already fired up the 860 and loaded the game graphics, I try to have all sources initalized in plenty of time prior to "Live" in case I need to reboot.

This past week at a football game I had begun the show and all sources were evident. At sometime during the first quarter my camera 4 disappeared. I glanced over at the 3-Play where I could see camera 4 and realized it wasn't a camera issue. I felt that the only way to get the camera back on the 860 would be to reboot. There just isn't enough time during a football game to be able to reboot.

So I decided it's time to figure out another method. I clicked into the camera's monitor on the Tricaster's desktop and clicked the gear icon where 1080i SDI was selected. I clicked 720P and closed the setting. I clicked the gear again and went back to the 1080i SDI setting and the camera appeared. I'm not certain that I had to close the settings again before re-selecting 1080i SDI or not, but at least I now know a work-arround for the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

Anthony Hunt
10-25-2017, 04:11 PM
Hi!

That's a really neat work around! I've had an issue where one of our cameras randomly disappears too. Ours are connected via a VideoHub. Usually rebooting the hub sorts it and Black Magic gave us a beta firmware to try to solve the issue. I'll try this too though.

Thanks!

Ant.

adebats
10-29-2017, 02:32 AM
We've had this on our tricaster 8000 and we have also used NDI to get around this sometimes.

epavideo
10-29-2017, 10:51 AM
This is very helpful. I've also started to anticipate and design workarounds for gremlins that pop-up during a live show. You can't anticipate them all, but you can compile a "What if x happens" list of procedures for those gremlins.

I've had a few instances of a source, usually a camera, which disappears from the Tricaster desktop once the show has begun. The first couple of times this happened I was fortunate to have not gone live yet. I found that by re-booting the Tricaster the source would appear. Because of this fact and since I'm usually at the stadium earlier than my crew and have already fired up the 860 and loaded the game graphics, I try to have all sources initalized in plenty of time prior to "Live" in case I need to reboot.

This past week at a football game I had begun the show and all sources were evident. At sometime during the first quarter my camera 4 disappeared. I glanced over at the 3-Play where I could see camera 4 and realized it wasn't a camera issue. I felt that the only way to get the camera back on the 860 would be to reboot. There just isn't enough time during a football game to be able to reboot.

So I decided it's time to figure out another method. I clicked into the camera's monitor on the Tricaster's desktop and clicked the gear icon where 1080i SDI was selected. I clicked 720P and closed the setting. I clicked the gear again and went back to the 1080i SDI setting and the camera appeared. I'm not certain that I had to close the settings again before re-selecting 1080i SDI or not, but at least I now know a work-arround for the issue. Hope this helps someone else.

YAL
11-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Hi also had major problems like those with our very recent "top of the line" TC8000! But with us, rebooting didn't resolve all inputs. There was one (input 7) that only after some days (after the event we got it to work again) it came back to life.

Also the recordings where all messy again. Each channel had way different recorded time, and when I say different I'm talking of some 30 to +1H difference in between all sources recorded (7 or 8).

Strikes me though is how this issues seems to be normal, with no response from support/admin/representatives around the forum.

Does anyone knows effectively what is the root of the problem?

Thanks, Xavier V.

impalaboy
11-17-2017, 11:02 AM
Strikes me though is how this issues seems to be normal, with no response from support/admin/representatives around the forum.

We very seldom have everything working first try when the TC8000 boots up. It's usually missing input, transitions not loading, sources delayed in switching, etc. So we check everything, and then reboot if necessary. As you know, rebooting during a show really isn't a very good option.

By the way, our 3Play 425 and LiveText also have regular issues that usually get resolved with a reboot.

bbailey
03-14-2018, 04:15 PM
My 3Play A330 doesn't like it when we turn off a sideline camera when moving from a camera platform to the field at half time. That camera will begin studdering once game starts back. The fix for that is to reboot 3Play by just restarting the program. We don't need to shut it completely down.

rlsafran
03-30-2018, 11:42 AM
I've had this happen on SDI connections from my VS4000 and studio cameras to my 460. I disconnect one end of the SDI cable and reconnect and it starts working again. I have a similar intermittent issue on the return from the 460 to VS4000 over SDI where I have to disconnect/reconnect the SDI cable after I start them up.