PDA

View Full Version : Curve constrain

mummyman
10-23-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a light with a motion modifier Curve Constrain on it. Question.. is there a way to add a displacement map to the curve AND get the light to follow that new displaced curve? I'm thinking probably with nodes... but I'm a dummy. I'll go tinker around after I post this.. .maybe I'll figure something out. But it's probably faster to ask you all. Thanks in advance.

Brett

a quick fix is to just freeze my original object and make the curves according to that.. but it's not ideal.. it'd be nice for it to be a "live" effect

Surrealist.
10-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Just ad a textured motion constraint above (after or below) the curve constraint.

mummyman
10-24-2017, 07:12 AM
I tried textured motion... but it doesn't match because of the way I used displacement on the object to follow distance to a null. So those features don't match unfortunately. Although you typed texture motion constraint. Is that different than just texture motion?

Surrealist.
10-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Oh right I just mean in that constraints list.

But after I typed that and read your post again I realized the solution was not what you were asking for.

So describe your scene and object in more detail. That might help.

mummyman
10-24-2017, 01:45 PM
I have a horizontal tube, that is displaced to be a little wavey... but I also used some falloffs to nulls, etc in the displacement layers to get a certain look. I extracted curves from the original shape (which is more complex than just a tube) and having lights contrain to that curve.. but the light only follows the original shape, not the displaced shape of the curve. That's pretty much it. So I was able to freeze out the original mesh and use that to extract the curves. But I'd rather have a live effect in case I need to change the displacemnt. No biggie .. it's a quick fix that worked.