PDA

View Full Version : MakeHuman 1.1.1

Schwyhart
10-22-2017, 06:02 AM
Anyone use this lately?
I haven't used it since v1.0.0, but I'm downloading the latest version now. I completely forgot about it.

www.makehuman.org (http://www.makehuman.org/)

erikals
10-22-2017, 06:52 AM
haven't used it much.
great for creating base meshes among other things.

still on my list of Applications :)

mch
10-22-2017, 08:35 AM
haven't used it much.
great for creating base meshes among other things.

still on my list of Applications :)

I went using Reallusion Character Creator by now.
Character Creator is easy to use, 64bit ,fast and adds clothing with conforming on top.
With 3DxChange I can export and use it in Lightwave 3D or other packages.
It is not free software but worth the money in my opinion.

Regards,

Marcus

Greenlaw
10-22-2017, 06:29 PM
I agree with Marcus. I got iClone 7 with 3DXchange last winter for its mocap editing and i/o compatibility with iPi and LightWave, and it came with Character Creator. I've only played around with CC a little bit but it seems more capable than Make Human. If I was stlll doing VFX work for films, I'd probably be using it to knock out quick avatars for digital stunt work.

That said, I have used Make Human output as a base for just that purpose, and it worked quite well. I was probably using an ealier version because that was about 3 or 4 years ago.

erikals
10-23-2017, 02:54 AM
can Character Creator output lowres SubD? this is critical in several situations. (tweaks, muscle simulation, manipulation)

Surrealist.
10-23-2017, 10:05 AM
There is also this for anyone using Blender:

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?391401-Addon-Manuel-Bastioni-Lab-turns-Blender-in-a-laboratory-for-3d-humanoids-creation

Chernoby
10-23-2017, 10:15 AM
Adobe Fuse is another and free if you get the cloud suite.

And Autodesk Character Generator which oddly enough is pretty subpar and it is not free... cheap but not free.

Greenlaw
10-23-2017, 11:12 AM
can Character Creator output lowres SubD? this is critical in several situations. (tweaks, muscle simulation, manipulation)

I didn't go far enough to check the quality of the mesh since CC wasn't what I was interested in at the time. That said, iClone is a realtime animation program, so I imagine CC is designed to output 'optimized' geometry. If I get a chance to look tonight, I'll follow up.

Edit: I think I have it on my tablet, maybe an earlier version anyway. Will try to check at lunch.

Greenlaw
10-23-2017, 02:46 PM
I have iClone 6 on my tablet (7 is on my workstation,) but it came with Character Creator as well. I believe CC has been updated since then but here's what I've been able to find out with the version on my tablet.

CC has multiple quality settings for export:

The program only exports for iClone but if you have 3DXchange, you can open the file and export .obj or .fbx.

Here's the default object saved at the default 'avatar' quality imported to Modeler. Note: I applied Merge TrigonX before making this capture:

The 'base' object is obviously not optimized for sub-d but it's really not too bad either considering what this mesh is meant for. If I had applied surface mods to the character using CC (which is the reason to use this tool of course,) then the flow and number of polygons may be more necessary. I imagine you'll want even higher for extreme application.

I'm not sure what this mesh will look like at higher quality settings. I'm guessing it sub-divides the polygons but, I don't know, it could be smarter than that. (Sorry, I'm on my lunch break so I don't want to spend too much time on this.)

BTW, when I exported the .obj, it saved out a bunch of textures including normal maps, spec, etc.

That's about all the time I can spend on this for now. Maybe I can look again tonight.

erikals
10-23-2017, 03:25 PM
thanks for testing  :)

yes, this is why i like Make Human for especially for humanoid creatures that will need tweaking / SubD / muscle sim.

not to say CC isn't worth it though. it looks to be nice for this and that.  :)

no further tests needed on my behalf. thank you Sir!  https://i.imgur.com/FPOtiqI.gif

Greenlaw
10-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Sure, no problem. This thread got my curiosity up. :)

Schwyhart
10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
I haven't used the other software mentioned, but I used MakeHuman a little bit today and it has a lot more features than I remember. Other than clothes, this is pretty good for creating humanoids. To further customize, one could import into Zbrush or 3D Coat.
I think I'd even export a character with basic clothing found in Make Human as a base mesh to sculpt on...easier than starting from scratch.

jperk
10-23-2017, 10:50 PM
hell no . I sculpt my own humans in Zbrush.

Surrealist.
10-24-2017, 06:31 AM
I usually start from a human mesh and modify from there. Or I use an anatomy reference and model around that to start with. There is really no harm in starting from a basic form. Saves a lot of time. There are no real rules though. It depends on the character. The best sculpting guys I work with always start out with a form that is nearest to what they need to start. Huge time saver.

Spinland
10-24-2017, 07:26 AM
I usually start from a human mesh and modify from there. Or I use an anatomy reference and model around that to start with. There is really no harm in starting from a basic form. Saves a lot of time. There are no real rules though. It depends on the character. The best sculpting guys I work with always start out with a form that is nearest to what they need to start. Huge time saver.

This. Depending on your client, you might have tight deadlines and a crap ton of bodies to generate to fill a scene, or maybe just a couple that need to be good but in front of the "camera" pronto. I've created a pretty good library of starting mesh models over the years, and generally start with one of those and sculpt to taste, but as in all things one chooses the best tool for the job at hand and I'll leverage shortcuts like these all day if they get me quality deliverables on time and on budget. :jam:

Rayek
10-25-2017, 11:08 AM
There is also this for anyone using Blender:

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/manuellab.php

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?391401-Addon-Manuel-Bastioni-Lab-turns-Blender-in-a-laboratory-for-3d-humanoids-creation

The upcoming version of ManuelLab is going to be even better. It's quite amazing what that one developer has accomplished. Hats off to him.

safetyman
10-26-2017, 05:11 AM
If I'm not mistaken Manuel was/is a developer on the Makehuman project, so the two are closely related.

Surrealist.
10-26-2017, 06:43 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I think that is right safetyman. I seem to recall something like that.

Rayek
10-26-2017, 08:30 AM
Manuel was part of MakeHuman up until 2016. He then focused on his own separate solution.

http://www.manuelbastioni.com/guide_main_differences_from_makeHuman.php

If you have used both, you may also have noticed that one obvious difference between the two is that MakeHuman's age range starts at 1 year, while Manuel's Lab caters for human characters from the age of 18 and up.