PDA

View Full Version : Runtime error when rendering an AVI

svbell
12-21-2003, 03:54 PM
Hi folks!
Does anyone else experience this problem when rendering an AVI? Once mid way to completion, an error message pop out saying there has been a runtime error and the rendering process aborts.

I installed the latest patch (VT3patch4744), but the problem is still there. Any idea what I should try?? Thanks for your help!

sv

kozmo22
01-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Greetings. I ran into the same problem when I tried to render out finished products on my VT[3]. Except no matter what codec I chose, it never got more than a quarter of the way through without giving me the runtime error. It turned out that I was rendering to the "wrong drive".

I have an 80gig system drive (IDE) and a 137gig video drive (RAID 0 SCSI) and I was trying to render the final project out to the system drive (because that's where it was going to end up, anyway). When I chose the video drive and rendered to that, I had no problems.

svbell
01-18-2004, 08:29 AM
So could it be that it refers to a disk space problem? Not enough room to render would cause Runtime errors instead of a simple warning?

sv

kozmo22
01-18-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm not so sure about that - I had plenty of space on the system drive (over 60gig left). I actually had more space on my system drive than on the video drive at the time I was rendering.

I called Tech Support about it and they didn't really have an answer besides the usual (check DirectX, check build...) and once I found out how to "beat" the problem I didn't question any further.

I'd like to try a separate hard drive (besides the system drive and video drive) and see if I'd have problems rendering to that, but I haven't gotten another one yet.

svbell
01-18-2004, 08:40 AM
OK, keep us posted on your investigations and tests. I live with that problem ever since I have my Toaster. I thought it would go away with the first build released by Newtek, it did solve the problem for a short while, until I install the second patch. That bug re-appeared, and this time I could not find a turnaround to bypass it. :(

Thanks folk
sv

kozmo22
01-18-2004, 08:42 AM
This might be a dumb question, but do you get that runtime error even when rendering to the video drive (the drive that the video files for your project are on)?

svbell
01-18-2004, 09:23 AM
I tried to render to various drives, no luck. When project is long (more than 30 minutes) I get that runtime woes.

sv

SCS
01-18-2004, 10:21 AM
I'm probably stating the obvious -- could it have anything to do with the AVI file size limit?

svbell
01-18-2004, 10:24 AM
That's what I first thought too, but according to VT[3] 's specs, there is no AVI file limit. Makes me wonder...

sv

SCS
01-18-2004, 11:07 AM
So much for that idea -- I just rendered an 11gb Uncompressed AVI and it works fine.

kozmo22
02-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Greetings!

I think I may have found a solution to the problem.

I had the same problem when rendering out a project, and it turns out that VT[3] would crahs because I was trying to render to the same drive that an embedded subproject file was on. I noticed this was the problem because it would always crash at the same point, which was during the rendering of the subproject within the main project. So, I moved the subproject file off of the drive and it rendered without crashing.

I hope this helps, and I also hope it makes sense. :D

Sean Zicari

kozmo22
02-16-2004, 07:27 PM
I misspelled the word 'crash' and I apologize. It is 'crash', not 'crahs'.

Sean Zicari

sbrandt
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
No, you were right. If you're from Maine, New Hampshire
Vermont or Massachusetts "crahs" IS the right spelling. :D

Jim Capillo
02-16-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by kozmo22
Greetings!

I think I may have found a solution to the problem.

I had the same problem when rendering out a project, and it turns out that VT[3] would crahs because I was trying to render to the same drive that an embedded subproject file was on. I noticed this was the problem because it would always crash at the same point, which was during the rendering of the subproject within the main project. So, I moved the subproject file off of the drive and it rendered without crashing.

I hope this helps, and I also hope it makes sense. :D

Sean Zicari

Good get......

Send it in to the bug fixers.

Paul Lara
02-17-2004, 07:48 AM
This has been passed along to Testing. Thanks! :)

Jim Capillo
02-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by sbrandt
No, you were right. If you're from Maine, New Hampshire
Vermont or Massachusetts "crahs" IS the right spelling. :D

HEY ! I don't tawk like those "Maineacs" :D :p

sbrandt
02-17-2004, 10:30 AM
A-yep, I guess it's just those folks that eat cown, those big red labstas and chowda...a-yep. And acourse thea's Norm Abrams. If you write him, he'll send you a full set of his DRAWRINGS!!!