PDA

View Full Version : NVidia card problem

Aww167
10-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Hello,
I'm just wondering if any users here with NVidia cards have any experience with configuring the NVidia control panel for Lightwave & Layout or Octane or found it to be of benefit? I've recently been getting an error when using Lightwave and Octane that results in a crash. (Open GL error code 3, subcode 7). The problem seems to be getting more frequent lately. It's difficult to find any specific info regarding the error code; even chatting over their helpline with Nvidia cust. service was particularly underwhelming.
Amongst the recommended online solutions elsewhere is the suggestion to change settings in the Nvidia Control Panel. I realise I could just use trial and error but I thought there might be a few people who already have some experience here who could offer guidelines? My technical knowledge in this area is sketchy at best and it would be hit and miss without really understanding what's going on if I just started playing around. Any assistance would be much appreciated.
I'm using Win 10 Pro with a Quadro K5200 which is only about 18 months old, hasn't had much heavy use and worked fine on Win 7 - I'm leaning toward the combination of LW and Win 10 being a major factor in the problem. Has anyone else had similar problems and did they find any working solution?
Thanks.

rustythe1
10-17-2017, 02:34 PM
I think you will find the problem is using octane on the K5200, I don't use octane myself but that particular card is one of the lowest scoring cards on octane bench, meaning it probably has driver issues, windows 10 recently changed the way it handles GPUs so at that point it probably pushed your card over the limit if you are using it for your display also, I would say looking at the benchmarks your single card will now be useless for octane and you need to add a second card for rendering (think its been discussed in other threads you should steer clear of quadro cards for octane)
unfortunately you are probably correct that windows 10 is the problem, not lightwave though, so if you want to carry on with 1 card you may be best rolling back to windows 7, or possibly a quadro driver update that addresses the issue, but again as windows broke it, probably wont get fixed.

Aww167
10-17-2017, 02:58 PM
I think you will find the problem is using octane on the K5200, I don't use octane myself but that particular card is one of the lowest scoring cards on octane bench, meaning it probably has driver issues, windows 10 recently changed the way it handles GPUs so at that point it probably pushed your card over the limit if you are using it for your display also, I would say looking at the benchmarks your single card will now be useless for octane and you need to add a second card for rendering (think its been discussed in other threads you should steer clear of quadro cards for octane)
unfortunately you are probably correct that windows 10 is the problem, not lightwave though, so if you want to carry on with 1 card you may be best rolling back to windows 7, or possibly a quadro driver update that addresses the issue, but again as windows broke it, probably wont get fixed.

Thanks for your answer. I wonder why Nvidia produce drivers for the card on Windows 10 then? Surely someone must test them? I had a chat with Nvidia support who really didn't seem to know much about the error, which is somewhat alarming when you think about it! I will look into this further and see what I can find out. The card certainly works as a display driver on Win10. I found that changing power management settings has cured the crashing in LW - at least for the time being. I'll try configuring some of the other settings to see what happens. Otherwise it's bye to Win 10 until I get round to buying another card.