PDA

View Full Version : Blender Basics

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 02:23 AM
While you are waiting for LightWave Next and tiring of the old arguments. How about spending the time productively learning Blender?

An ongoing project to teach Blender. It is going to take a while as I want to give each area its full attention. Starting with the very basics:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs50B6COJLw4MdM9k5o2_HAf5_un_FpyM

And also a quick guide. Very quick. But I suggest doing the basics videos to really get everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WddLkgCzdVc&t=63s&index=28&list=PLs50B6COJLw4MdM9k5o2_HAf5_un_FpyM

Also taking requests for subjects you are interested in learning with Blender, stupid things I left out, and so on.

But for those seeking perfection. Sorry. Can't help you. I am not getting paid for these. They are mostly impromptu, rough, full of stammering and so on. Intended to allow me to move quickly through a lot of information. And mainly intended as a tool to teach my staff.

With that in mind, any other feedback is welcome.

Next, mainly because I am training a new animator, I will likely jump to the basic animation features in Blender. There is a new rig which is pretty cool.

Will come back to post when I have it.

Ztreem
10-17-2017, 03:39 AM
I have already started to learn Blender and I enjoy every second of it. I have not done any real project in it yet but so far I have not found anything that I can't do compared to LightWave. I've only discovered nice features and workflows. Thanks for sharing the video, though I already covered those basic things myself.

One thing I like with Lw is the ability to cycle through objects in layout with the up and down arrows, any similar way to do that in Blender?

Oldcode
10-17-2017, 03:42 AM
Wow! Straight forward and directly to the point! I love it!

Very nice work. I'm going to have to check these out.

The only subject I can think of is I'm trying to learn how to use Blender's hair tools to create hair and important them into Lightwave for use with either Bullet or ClothFx to animate. I've seen a bunch of videos and learned a lot already, but there's still many things about the subject I don't understand. It's totally worth the effort for Blender's hair creation tools are far superior to those in Lightwave.

Thanks! :D

Ztreem
10-17-2017, 04:33 AM
Wow! Straight forward and directly to the point! I love it!

Very nice work. I'm going to have to check these out.

The only subject I can think of is I'm trying to learn how to use Blender's hair tools to create hair and important them into Lightwave for use with either Bullet or ClothFx to animate. I've seen a bunch of videos and learned a lot already, but there's still many things about the subject I don't understand. It's totally worth the effort for Blender's hair creation tools are far superior to those in Lightwave.

Thanks! :D

When you done your hair in Blender and is in object mode, go to modifiers and click convert. Now you have a hair mesh, save as obj and import to LW modeler and use the strand maker. I got alot of crashes when tested this, so I feel its maybe better to just stay in Blender instead of going to LW. Hair in Lw still kind of sucks in so many ways...

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 05:06 AM
It is an advanced subject I will not likely cover right away. Like Ztreem I probably agree. Do it in Blender. And rather in my opinion explore compositing options instead.

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 05:09 AM
I have already started to learn Blender and I enjoy every second of it. I have not done any real project in it yet but so far I have not found anything that I can't do compared to LightWave. I've only discovered nice features and workflows. Thanks for sharing the video, though I already covered those basic things myself.

One thing I like with Lw is the ability to cycle through objects in layout with the up and down arrows, any similar way to do that in Blender?

Good question. I don't think so. But you inspired me to do a series on selection alone. Also worth exploring to find out if there is an add-on or script.

samurai_x
10-17-2017, 05:16 AM
Really? In the Lightwave section? :)

djwaterman
10-17-2017, 05:31 AM
Yeah, it's a bit odd. Do you think you could post this in the Blender Artists forum, or just link us straight to your YouTube channel. Good content, but I'm not sure this is the place for it.

raw-m
10-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Funny you should say that as it’s exactly what I’ve started to do (while I’m waiting, obviously :D). Just getting used to the interface at this stage, but really like it so far. Esp like how the modifier stack works for animation and modelling, finding the UI is very good for a fast workflow, too.

Wickedpup
10-17-2017, 06:42 AM
Really? In the Lightwave section? :)

Looking through threads YOU have started in the very same section I have to wonder why you get your panties in a bunch over this one. Blender for Artists.....Modo....just to point out a couple. :foreheads

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 07:31 AM
Funny you should say that as it’s exactly what I’ve started to do (while I’m waiting, obviously :D). Just getting used to the interface at this stage, but really like it so far. Esp like how the modifier stack works for animation and modelling, finding the UI is very good for a fast workflow, too.

If there is anything you want me to shed light on, please let me know. As a LightWave user who has been with Blender a number of years I might be able to give a unique perspective.

FYI -There is already a thread on Blender Artists. This one is for LightWave artists.

raw-m
10-17-2017, 08:15 AM
If there is anything you want me to shed light on, please let me know. As a LightWave user who has been with Blender a number of years I might be able to give a unique perspective.

FYI -There is already a thread on Blender Artists. This one is for LightWave artists.

Thank you! Very much at the tinkering stage at the moment, won't be replacing LW anytime soon. Perhaps some exchange between Blender and LW pointers would be useful?

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 08:39 AM
OK. Happy to oblige. Have some other priorities but I will get to it. Anything in particular?

raw-m
10-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Great! Not right now, happy to be guided - any finds/processes that help getting models from one to the other from a LW user point of view would be useful. I'm guessing Oliver's OD copy/paste would be the simplest! Smoke/fuilds..? No rush, much appreciated.

Chernoby
10-17-2017, 09:21 AM
I don't come on the LW forum much but it does seem like you take regular craps on LW then say something like "but it has some good features"... then you always promote Blender and "recognize it is not perfect but..." Why hang around the LW forum so much? Seems like you would have a better time with Blenderers learning with other Blenderers then trying to convert LWers to use Blender.

rustythe1
10-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Looking through threads YOU have started in the very same section I have to wonder why you get your panties in a bunch over this one. Blender for Artists.....Modo....just to point out a couple. :foreheads

yes, especially as according to other threads everyone who does 3D uses C4D now nothing else exists aside from the hobbyist,

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Great! Not right now, happy to be guided - any finds/processes that help getting models from one to the other from a LW user point of view would be useful. I'm guessing Oliver's OD copy/paste would be the simplest! Smoke/fuilds..? No rush, much appreciated.

Ok fair enough. In the mean time hopefully these basics will help you.

I am thinking an interchange tut would belp. But also I have a feature comparison series in mind.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you learn to use cycles as of 2.79 with the principled shader that skill will be helpful when or if the new LW renderer comes..

Ztreem
10-17-2017, 10:59 AM

ODcopypaste works really good between modeler and blender, perfect for sculpting, booleans etc. For Layout you have to use fbx instead. Fluids can be exported back to LW but smoke you have to render in blender and comp, until we get LW Next.

hypersuperduper
10-17-2017, 11:28 AM
As far as interchange goes, Blender imports Lwo files and will actually convert skelegons to armatures. That's kind of neat.

Surrealist.
10-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Cool tip man. I think there is a lot of ground to cover with interop between Blender and LightWave. Not to forget that Blender also just got vast improvements to the cache importing. A new mesh cache modifier and constraint. So dealing with both mdd and Alembic is greatly improved going in both directions. And I think that is a better way to go than bones. Another simple hot tip. Both Blender and LightWave are at the same scale. ;) And Blender can be set to Metric or English. At any rate a Meter in Blender is a Meter in LightWave and so on. Yep. I can see some informative videos taking shape here. ;)

10-17-2017, 01:34 PM
Whoo, Blender rocks so thanks for your time to share your knowledge.

Started using Blender when a mate here said it could write cad/cam files. Saved me big bucks and is quite robust.

Yes, again, thanks.
Robert

Surrealist.
10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
No problem. As promised there are 3 new vids on Selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azk4C7bkCqE

If you are planning to use Blender with LightWave it really helps to get the basics of Blender down. Hope these vids with help with that. And then I am working towards getting to the point of doing some LightWave/Blender oriented vids. Something I have been thinking about for a while. In the mean time, take advantage of these videos to get prepared to use it with LightWave. You will have a much better experience all around. ;)

Greenlaw
10-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Hey, Richard, thanks for starting this topic!

Coincidentally, I just wrote in another thread about how I should make an effort to learn Blender but didn't know where to start.

I'm really interested in using Blender to enhance how I use LightWave, but naturally I need to learn the basics of Blender before I can do that.

Watching the first video now.

Surrealist.
10-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Great to hear. Hope it helps. And that was kind of my intention for posting here. I know people want to explore Blender, and being more LightWave-centric they are more comfortable coming here. And I was inspired to do this series mostly based on posts from people here. Over at Blender Artists, it is more like preaching to the choir... lol Even though I posted this thread only moments after the Blender Artists thread, it has nearly 6 times the views.

Been busy:

2 more vids on snapping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTQEaK-m0j8

cagey5
10-18-2017, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the videos. They might inspire me to actually give it a run and see if I can actually produce anything with it which I've so far failed to do. I installed it to play with things like tracking, fluids and other elements that LW doesn't have by default.
One thing from the first video. I'm not able to emulate a 3 button mouse because the shortcuts are already used by default by the Linux OS but that's fine I'll just stick with using the middle mouse button.

jperk
10-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Sad that this is what the Newtek forums has come to. I'm not pointing fingers, but its more Modo and Blender promotion than LW. I believe some individuals are so disgruntled they'd rather see NewTek put the nail in LW's coffin — to them that'd be an update in reassuring LW's future. NewTek seriously needs to update the LWNext blog. Just something. Maybe even a wave hello?

samurai_x
10-18-2017, 04:44 PM

Did I post a tutorial lure people to another app?
I post blender stuff in the blender thirdparty now.
I post about news and tech that newtek should copy in this section.
Edit. How moronic lol

Greenlaw
10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Sigh! :rolleyes:

Anyway...enjoying what I've watched so far. Keep up the great work Richard.

Surrealist.
10-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Cool. And like I said. Let me know if there is anything I missed.

Thanks for the videos. They might inspire me to actually give it a run and see if I can actually produce anything with it which I've so far failed to do. I installed it to play with things like tracking, fluids and other elements that LW doesn't have by default.
One thing from the first video. I'm not able to emulate a 3 button mouse because the shortcuts are already used by default by the Linux OS but that's fine I'll just stick with using the middle mouse button.

That is interesting. I wonder if there are other workarounds.

And I hope you have better luck with it this time. :)

Surrealist.
10-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Been busy again. Playlist is populated with more vids. But some in particular that might interest people here is the units and scale videos as I relate it to both LightWave and Maya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRRPmQrghzY&list=PLs50B6COJLw4MdM9k5o2_HAf5_un_FpyM&index=40

hrgiger
10-23-2017, 01:55 AM
forget that get used to Blenders right click to select crap. That's part of why I don't like Blender to begin with they just have to make everything different just to different. The first thing I do when I get in Blender is set it to the Maya default.

Surrealist.
10-23-2017, 02:42 AM
No. Don't use the Maya defaults. Many reasons. First is ergonomic and second is you loose other functionality.

Blender very similar to XSI in that if you switch to Maya defaults you loose things that are designed into the interface and key shorts for a reaaon. So it is not recommended.

But If you take the time to learn XSI, which is completely different, you get the pay off of how they intended things to work.

Same is true for Blender. It is better to rollup your slaves and dig in. Learn something new. Learn the reasons why things are the way they are. And I explain these things as I go.

I am far from done yet.

So there is more to come. I may do a video on this main point though. So it is good you brought it up.

Rayek
10-24-2017, 01:13 AM
There's a good write-up by Herbert123 (me) on minimizing LWO import issues in Blender here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?437671-I-m-migrating-from-another-platform-and-my-files-too-)-need-advices

paulhart
10-24-2017, 09:30 PM
Get Blender on your system now, then make the change in User Preferences to Left Click Select, and Right Click will move the 3D Cursor. A much more reasonable default change which doesn't seem to alter the other general aspects of Blender. One more change that I like to do is download the Addon Enhanced 3D Cursor, which shifts the Activation and placing of 3D Cursor to F10, since I use the 3D Cursor less often, and it frees the Right Mouse button for RMB Pie Menu, also an Addon. With these three changes everything else still seems to work just fine, but without the stumbles. My understanding is that the big release of 2.8, coming up in 2018 (see public available Roadmap for details, great stuff) the default mouse buttons will shift to Left Click Select. Then onward. It is a great tool to complement Lightwave, and at the rate we are going, it is good to have an alternative.

jeric_synergy
10-24-2017, 11:14 PM
My understanding is that the big release of 2.8, coming up in 2018 (see public available Roadmap for details, great stuff) the default mouse buttons will shift to Left Click Select.
I predict a huge boost for Blender when they do that.

Sheer effing bloody-mindedness is the only reason they've stuck w/it this long. No one can be as dumb as smart people.

jeric_synergy
10-25-2017, 01:06 AM
There's a good write-up by Herbert123 (me) on minimizing LWO import issues in Blender here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?437671-I-m-migrating-from-another-platform-and-my-files-too-)-need-advices

Wow, that was one detailed process. Good on you for helping the community!

colkai
11-02-2017, 04:20 AM
The only thing I'd say as a LW user who shifted to Blender, I would also use the Left mouse button select option in the preferences input options. Saves a lot of hair pulling intitially.
For shortcuts, the ones I got to grips with which helped a lot in edit mode at first were:
s - scale
r - rotate
g - grab (move)
Alt+s - shrink / fatten
e - extrude
i - inset
ctrl+r - loop cut
alt+lmb - select loop

..they pretty much got me going.

Ernest
11-02-2017, 02:16 PM
My understanding is that the big release of 2.8, coming up in 2018 (see public available Roadmap for details, great stuff) the default mouse buttons will shift to Left Click Select. Then onward. It is a great tool to complement Lightwave, and at the rate we are going, it is good to have an alternative.

There's a lot of other default settings that are completely baffling to me, like the sticky tweak tool. If they have an setting in the options to be able to drag vertices with just one drag, why would the default behavior be to need two clicks to drag a point? I have never found anyone who found any benefit in that. Also, if all buttons can be assigned a shortcut key, why do they only have the "Add shortcut" right mouse menu option in a select few? Why make the user hunt through menus and paste python bits just to assign shortcuts to vertex/edge/face modes? Or to the proportional editing options, or to the "Limit selection to visible"? Every time a new version comes out it takes so long to add shortcuts to everything that needs them. Same with the screen layouts. Why make you go to the console to be able to assign a shortcut to a screen layout? Isn't it obvious that everyone will want to override the default numeric keypad options with custom ones? Who doesn't like their zooming to be controlled by the mouse position? It warns you that you have unsaved changes but only gives you the choices of Quit or Cancel; not the option to save the changes. Most of the included functionality is disabled by default.

It's all stuff that the program can already do, but it's like they make an effort to make things difficult by default.

Rayek
11-02-2017, 03:08 PM
There's a lot of other default settings that are completely baffling to me, like the sticky tweak tool. If they have an setting in the options to be able to drag vertices with just one drag, why would the default behavior be to need two clicks to drag a point? I have never found anyone who found any benefit in that.

From an ergonomic point of view it is much preferred: pushing and pulling hundreds of points for hours on end is far more strenuous on the hand's tendons and muscles when the user doesn't have to keep pushing down the mouse button all the time. It is also more precise, since the drag option requires an additional muscle action. In particular when working with a tablet I find Blender's method far more preferable compared to continuously pushing down the pen. Also, I mostly hit the G key to start dragging, and then click to confirm. If you are a tablet user, there is just no comparison. Blender's tweaking is much more controllable and avoids RSI.

Also, if all buttons can be assigned a shortcut key, why do they only have the "Add shortcut" right mouse menu option in a select few? Why make the user hunt through menus and paste python bits just to assign shortcuts to vertex/edge/face modes? Or to the proportional editing options, or to the "Limit selection to visible"?

True, it's frustrating. I believe the devs are aware of these shortcomings, and general GUI improvements in the upcoming versions ought to fix these inconsistencies.

Every time a new version comes out it takes so long to add shortcuts to everything that needs them. Same with the screen layouts. Why make you go to the console to be able to assign a shortcut to a screen layout?

When a new version is installed, the splash screen gives you an option to import your settings from the previous version.

And I agree, the shortcut key settings are a hit-and-miss affair. No-one should have to use Python and/or the console just to assign a shortcut key to any function.

Isn't it obvious that everyone will want to override the default numeric keypad options with custom ones?

Not to me - I like the standard numpad key settings.

Who doesn't like their zooming to be controlled by the mouse position? It warns you that you have unsaved changes but only gives you the choices of Quit or Cancel; not the option to save the changes.

I think the zooming option is a personal preference. At least it can be changed. The save dialog should indeed give the user an additional option: "Save and Quit". But I do understand why they did not add this: it is too easy to save over an existing file, which may be detrimental to a proper versioning workflow. At least Blender now has a warning dialog: in older versions it did not, which could result in stupid preventable mistakes.

It's all stuff that the program can already do, but it's like they make an effort to make things difficult by default.
It's improved a lot already over the last past few years. At least Blender has a proper undo option ;-P

KurtF
11-15-2017, 09:41 PM
My understanding is that the big release of 2.8, coming up in 2018 (see public available Roadmap for details, great stuff) the default mouse buttons will shift to Left Click Select.

Do you have a link to any document or discussion that supports that? I've seen that view port enhancements are coming, along with Dependency Graph, Grease Pencil, etc., but nothing about default Left Click. Maybe they're downplaying it since it's so controversial.

Thanks.

CaptainMarlowe
11-15-2017, 10:18 PM
Hey since we're talking Blender here, has someone had any luck importing any kind of object in Blender 2,8 beta for Mac (or even windows, dunno). Nothing works here for me, fix, obj, lwo (after activating the proper plugin), it gets apparently a python error each time. Someone can confirm ?

Rayek
11-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Hey since we're talking Blender here, has someone had any luck importing any kind of object in Blender 2,8 beta for Mac (or even windows, dunno). Nothing works here for me, fix, obj, lwo (after activating the proper plugin), it gets apparently a python error each time. Someone can confirm ?

2.8 is completely alpha. Many things don't work yet. Use 2.79 to import objects, save a blend file, and open the blend file with 2.8.

Surrealist.
11-15-2017, 10:25 PM
I know there is a python error for FBX in 2.79. While it works in 2.78. But I don't even know about 2.8. I don't have a need to try that yet.

By the way. To the Maya keyshort - very very very bad idea I keep saying?

One of the many potential gotchas:

https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?439649-Active-F-Curve-Window

Just don't do it.

Trust me. Learn Blender.