PDA

View Full Version : Cloning a hierarchy which is using targets ...

Gungho3D
10-17-2017, 01:18 AM
I have a massive hierarchy, full of pivots, hydraulic pistons etc, all working flawlessly ...

Well, flawlessly until I "Clone Hierarchy"
- everything is cloned perfectly - so far so good
- BUT of course all the targeting for the cloned Nulls for hydraulics all still point to the original targets, meaning everything looks stupid once I move the newly cloned hierarchy :-(

I'm wondering if there is a way of cloning (via plugin?) a complex hierarchy where the cloning process recognizes that an object target is itself part of the hierarchy being cloned and adjusts accordingly ... ?

Or (just thinking out loud here) ... maybe isolate the hierarchy separately on its own in a scene file, and then use something like Mike Green's "Renamer" plugin to rename Nulls prior to then doing a "Load Items From Scene" for each required "cloned" hierarchy ... Yep, think I'll give this a go ...

Gungho3D
10-17-2017, 02:57 AM
Ok: Solved, working beautifully using the above surmised "Load Items From Scene" after renaming Nulls using Mike Green's "Renamer" LScript ... yeehaa!

For anyone interested:
Along the way, discovered that Mike's plugin insisted on renaming every Null as "Layer", so I made the following hack to his code (sorry Mike, please forgive ... but it now works :-) )

Line 125 // myselected[i][2]="Layer";
was replaced by myselected[i][2]=parray[i].name;

Also, this method works a treat for renaming Cyclist Nulls as well

djwaterman
10-17-2017, 03:20 AM
Let me guess, landing gear?

Gungho3D
10-17-2017, 03:52 AM
Aahhoouuhhaaahh ... you got me :-)

Actually everything else as well including the kitchen sink. Cyclist is such a great way pull a painful sequence of animations together under one, smooth, single-Null controlled action ...

... I wish I could sit at home and just get my days "to happen" along similar lines :-)