PDA

View Full Version : Help with Sticky Surface

jimiclaybrooks
10-11-2017, 07:02 PM
A while back, Proton did a tutorial about a character with beads of sweat rolling down his face. I've looked everywhere but I haven't been able to find it. I was hoping it would help me with this scene, where I'm using a simple plane to deform the particles to look like water flowing over the edge of the ark. Nothing I've tried seems to make this work. As you can see here, the particles just fall, completely ignoring the waterplane. Can anyone tell me about a tutorial or a ref to the sticky surface plugin so I can get this done? thanks138260

OK, I found the tutorial on youtube. So lets see how it goes.

MonroePoteet
10-11-2017, 10:06 PM
If you're looking for a heavy-rain kind of droplet flow, you might be able to use a ClothFX sheet with an inverted Crust clip map to simulate the water gushing off the sides. Sample scene attached.

The basic idea is to set up a highly-subdivided surface as a ClothFX simulation, but the trick is to put a moving clip map (Rendering tab in the Object Properties) to simulate droplets moving downward. In the sample scene, the sheet is modeled horizontal, so the moving clip map moves left-to-right in the X plane. When rotated to drop and droop over the (very simplistic) ark model, the droplets then flow downward.

To see the ClothFX simulation, you'll need to go to the FX tab on the WaterSheet_2:LowRes object and press "Calculate". You can "bake" the simulation in the ClothFX File tab by pressing the Save Motion button, but the resulting MDD file is too large to upload.

Note that the visible water sheet is a "hi res" version linked to the "low res" version with FX_MetaLink. This is a method where the ClothFX simulation is done on a low-resolution object (computationally much simpler and faster), and then the calculated point deformations are then transferred to a high-resolution object via FX_MetaLink. The high-res object is a child of the low-res object, and FX_MetaLink is added in the Object Properties=>Deformation tab.

I also added a Turbulence Wind dynamic to fluctuate the cloth sheet once it's draped over the ark model. For the final render, I'd suggest simulating the cloth until it's draped over the model, then Save Transformed Object to save a "base" cloth model for the moving clip map. The Turbulent wind remains to cause the fluctuations in the (now fixed) cloth sheet.

BTW, the same cloth sheet with clipmap technique can be used for splashes, etc., by using clever wind, gravity and other dynamic effects on it.

Good luck!
mTp

jimiclaybrooks
10-12-2017, 05:42 PM
MonroePoteet:
Thanks for the help. This is cool, and I never thought to use cloth fx for the rain effect. When I read your post, I was at work, so I couldn't see what you were talking about. But having seen the clip, I'm blown away. (It doesn't take much to do that anyway) At this point I'm trying to understand what you mean by using the same technique to do the splashes against the boat. I'll work on it. In the mean time, thank you for this. I do appreciate it.

jimiclaybrooks
10-13-2017, 12:13 PM
This image shows the boatwake with the ark, but as you can see, it doesn't conform with HOT Ocean displacement. Since Im just not that good with nodes, I'm asking how can I get the boatwake to:
A) conform to the water ? and
B) follow the boat as it floats across the water?
any help with this would be much appreciated. I'll post whatever I can come up with as soon as I get back from the plantation. Thanks138272