PDA

View Full Version : Longitude and Latitude settings

Fozzybear
03-07-2003, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know if there is any way of setting up a scene so that you can work with real longitude and latitude settings?

What I am trying to do is create a simple model of a house and position it in the scene with real longitude and latitude information with one light source (the sun), so that the sun will produce acurate shadows.

This animation is to show how light works with passive solar building design.

Design changes can then be made to the structure to take advantage of the suns position.

Jockomo
03-07-2003, 11:10 AM
You can achieve exactly what you are looking for with Skytracer2

Load up skytracer (under Scene>Tools) then hit the Suns tab, at the bottom you will see a button that says Sun Position.
Hit that and a panel will come up with not only Time of day, and an the ability to animate a time lapse, but also under you will find the Longitude and Latitude settings, and even some presets.

waka waka waka ;)

gjjackson
03-07-2003, 12:20 PM
I don't know if this would do you all any good; but there's a program that will output a file that calculates the sun's position. You can find it at Planet Source Code (http://www.planet-source-code.com) . This file is in VB format. I don't recall if there's and .exe for it, but if you have VB6 you can create one.

Just do a search for Sun Position Calculator

Fozzybear
03-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks Jockomo,

Now that you mention it I do remember playing around with lat and long settings a while back. I couldn't remember if it was a 3rd party plug in or not that I saw it in. I've only used Skytracer2 once or twice so I will have to revisit it as it looks exactly what I was looking for

Freak
03-07-2003, 08:25 PM
I believe their is another plugin called Sun Spot?
I don't have LW up to check....

Actually yes it's listed in the manual.....
It's a motion modifier plugin....

I have used it a few times before....
It lets you set Long / Lat / Month / Time / Country etc....