PDA

View Full Version : Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017

tonyhall007
10-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017. Talk about the great work they do and how and why they use Lightwave 3D for their 3D and VFX. There is also a little glimpse of the new Lightwave 3D Hyper Voxel systems, really cool.

https://youtu.be/wTQ6MzXwqHU

TheLexx
10-01-2017, 01:22 PM
"And the vast majority of the shots we used to pump through at VTR were done in Lightwave, it's just that everyone thought they were paying for the SGI department."

"So we (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTQ6MzXwqHU&feature=youtu.be#t=8m40s)don't normally mention it, we don't show it on the website and we don't generally talk about it with clients, but it's still one of the main packages we use."

Alright, hands up who does the same thing. This is great stuff. :D

kyuzo
10-01-2017, 01:52 PM
Curses. Video not there anymore.
Guessing it was removed because of the tantalising mention of the new voxels...

Still, encouraging to hear the studio still relies on lightwave, even if they don't advertise the fact.

TheLexx
10-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Okay, since the video was taken down, there are obviously sensitivities to be respected beyond what Mr Cross has said, but this guy said they still use Lightwave for 60 to 70% of their current work, and the LW Next render engine was described as amazing. The funny thing is he said "Please don't take photos of this, I'll get shot....This is the new system". Well, the video went down, so I guess he got shot :D

My hunch is that one reason the video went down is because the very brief clip of LW Next was heavily degraded by his presentation equipment and ambient lighting and then more again on a home monitor, so was simply not the way for us to see or judge anything. Also, it was an unofficial channel (NDAs, etc). One thing seemed pretty clear from the vibe though - regardless if a user is overwhelmed or underwhelmed by LW Next, the peeps at Newtek have not been idle....at all....

kyuzo
10-02-2017, 03:22 AM
Yeah. To be honest, I don't mind that I can't see the video.
The fact that they are singing LW praises, and presumable testing LW Next (or whatever it will be called) in production is very promising indeed.

Something positive to discuss instead of repeating the same conversation about no official word on what's going on or when it'll be ready.

kopperdrake
10-02-2017, 06:55 AM
We chatted with Andy after the talk and it was great to hear about the next version of LW and his plans - great bloke. If anyone really does want to mix it with some UK LightWavers I suggest you book into the next Create Expo - beers on the evening around the table throws up some interesting stuff :thumbsup:

It's still painful we can't get to play with it ourselves - still waiting for the day.

ianr
10-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Darkside Studios - Andrew Bishop - Create Expo 2017. Talk about the great work they do and how and why they use Lightwave 3D for their 3D and VFX. There is also a little glimpse of the new Lightwave 3D Hyper Voxel systems, really cool.

https://youtu.be/wTQ6MzXwqHU

SO the Youtube was removed.... Andy's knuckles rapped ... oh well BUT

ALERT: ON the Video it was mentioned that LW NeXT has Quote

' IT HAS A NEW REDESIGNED VIPER which iS GPU'ED & FAST'

that's for sure ( at the end of the Video)

samurai_x
10-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Should've downloaded the video and spammed it everywhere. :)
The logic of the people handling lightwave at newtek. SMH
You get free positive publicity, ask to take it down.
Newtek has nothing to lose at this point by leaking information. Lightwave not exactly at the cutting edge right now or the market leader in 3d. What gives? SMH
Totally bewildered at the marketing people who think no information is better.

Matt
10-02-2017, 10:30 AM
' IT HAS A NEW REDESIGNED VIPER which iS GPU'ED & FAST'

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?153664-Three-months-no-release-no-FB-posts-since-early-April-etc&p=1519254&viewfull=1#post1519254

tonyhall007
10-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Andy's knuckles have not been rapped, I uploaded the wrong version. I am waiting for the re-edited version then will re-post, with the new Hyper-voxels VPR test.

tonyhall007
10-03-2017, 09:28 AM
Why I am waiting for the new Darkside edit here is the Nebula test render using the new volumetrics in Lightwave next, Darksides Studios.

https://youtu.be/aKaIq3ijyMg

kyuzo
10-03-2017, 09:39 AM
Oooooohh!! Nice!
Thanks for the video.

jwiede
10-03-2017, 10:15 AM
Andy's knuckles have not been rapped, I uploaded the wrong version. I am waiting for the re-edited version then will re-post, with the new Hyper-voxels VPR test.

Might want to point him at Matt's reply.

mummyman
10-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Kinda getting sick of hearing people say to me when they find out that I use LW... "Oh, that's really still in development?" No one seems to know that it still kicks ***. Oh well. What can ya do? Shut up and wait I guess..that's all I can do..

Axis3d
10-03-2017, 01:36 PM
Kinda getting sick of hearing people say to me when they find out that I use LW... "Oh, that's really still in development?" No one seems to know that it still kicks ***. Oh well. What can ya do? Shut up and wait I guess..that's all I can do..:i_agree:

hrgiger
10-04-2017, 02:33 PM
Kinda getting sick of hearing people say to me when they find out that I use LW... "Oh, that's really still in development?" No one seems to know that it still kicks ***. Oh well. What can ya do? Shut up and wait I guess..that's all I can do..

Well that's pretty much all on LW3DG. Don't talk about or promote your product, only people who are actively using it will know about it.

Ztreem
10-04-2017, 04:38 PM

I agree. Already around 2004-2006 I heard people talk about modo as a really cool app and when I said something about LW most people said they never heard of it. I just got annoyed every time that modo a 1-2 year old product and at that time very limited was more known than LW that been used for years in films and tv shows. And now its even worse...

gar26lw
10-04-2017, 05:34 PM
yeah I get that all the time.

Surrealist.
10-04-2017, 11:09 PM
Wow you guys going to turn this thread into a moan fest as well?

Can it ever end?

A good thing for the current LightWave.

Cool.

50one
10-05-2017, 01:44 AM

Can it ever end?

Cool.

Focus on what's causing it, not on the result

Surrealist.
10-05-2017, 03:33 AM
lol I am no thread cop. You want to tun this into a moan fest. Knock yourself out. Yeah man go for it. Focus on what causes it. Don't let the thread subject stop you or anyone else. When has that ever been a factor? ;)

I suppose the situation causing it is so bad that every thread is infected like a virus. So be it.

TheLexx
10-05-2017, 04:47 AM
That's right, a moan fest (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFacWGBJ_cs#t=40s). :)

50one
10-05-2017, 05:00 AM
lol I am no thread cop. You want to tun this into a moan fest. Knock yourself out. Yeah man go for it. Focus on what causes it. Don't let the thread subject stop you or anyone else. When has that ever been a factor? ;)

I suppose the situation causing it is so bad that every thread is infected like a virus. So be it.

Well, Richard, no offense buddy but with your posts you do no different than the moaners.

Surrealist.
10-05-2017, 05:50 AM
You are absolutely right. I am just another member of the forum with an opinion. Usually a fairly strong one.

50one
10-05-2017, 07:01 AM
You are absolutely right. I am just another member of the forum with an opinion. Usually a fairly strong one.

You're moaning about moaners and I'm moaning about you moaning about moaners.

Anyhow, what did I miss, apparently there was some video of LW Next in the wild, where is it?

mummyman
10-05-2017, 07:18 AM

My bad I guess. Just so frustrating how amazing the product is, but no one seems to know except hard core users.. which, I wish I knew roughly how many studios / people did use it. LW group must be doing just fine to be doing things this way. Crossing my fingers.. I keep just using what I got... which is working just fine.

Ztreem
10-05-2017, 07:19 AM

Can it ever end?

Cool.

You have to take every opportunity you can. You know the LW forum members is mostly grumpy middle aged men. :D

Surrealist.
10-05-2017, 07:21 AM
You're moaning about moaners and I'm moaning about you moaning about moaners.

Anyhow, what did I miss, apparently there was some video of LW Next in the wild, where is it?

Yes and I am moaning about you moaning about... when does it end... :)

Explanation about vid buried someplace in between or before the thread turned to a moan fest... and a moan fest over the moan...

A page ago maybe?

mummyman
10-05-2017, 07:23 AM
You have to take every opportunity you can. You know the LW forum members is mostly grumpy middle aged men. :D

Guilty of that here!

SteveH
10-05-2017, 07:31 AM

That's not true - I'm over 60! (wow how is that even possible?).
Now....GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Ztreem
10-05-2017, 08:18 AM
That's not true - I'm over 60! (wow how is that even possible?).
Now....GET OFF MY LAWN!!

From wikipedia: "According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65"

kyuzo
10-05-2017, 08:24 AM
Phew, that's a relief... I'm not quite middle aged now.

I can save up for another year or two to have a really good mid-life crisis. Maybe upgrade that motorbike to a sports car...

:)

SteveH
10-05-2017, 10:39 AM
From wikipedia: "According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45 and 65"

I have a few more years of middle age then - good to know! Now if my lower back would just acknowledge that fact I'd be very happy.

CaptainMarlowe
10-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Meanwhile, I would really like to see the re-edited Darkside video.

hrgiger
10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Oh good, 20 more years of middle age.

RudySchneider
10-05-2017, 05:04 PM
I'm beyond "middle-age." I must be in The Enlightened Age!

dsoell
10-05-2017, 05:38 PM
Really? I'm just 5 years into middle age :D

erikals
10-05-2017, 07:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XaJdDqQA0

djwaterman
10-05-2017, 10:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XaJdDqQA0

That would solve so many things.

tonyhall007
10-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Going to try and upload it at the weekend. It is really good. Darkside do some great work using Lightwave 3D.

THIBAULT
10-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Cool ! Waiting !

CaptainMarlowe
10-06-2017, 04:48 AM
Thx !

SteveH
10-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Hopefully that video hasn't gone away for good. Maybe LWG has them in a basement somewhere bound and gaged. I hope not....

CaptainMarlowe
10-08-2017, 10:35 PM
So do I.

tonyhall007
10-09-2017, 03:51 AM
As promised, here is the Darkside Studios talk at this years Create Expo 2017.....enjoy.

https://youtu.be/auT51lXCRQU

SteveH
10-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Awfully glad you somehow escaped the basement. Really interesting video - thanks so much for putting it up. Just a tease of LW 2017 at the end but a tease is certainly better than nothing right?

allabulle
10-09-2017, 08:36 AM
Yup, thanks for the video. Interesting presentation indeed.

calilifestyle
10-09-2017, 12:17 PM
awesome presentation but now i have to really start learning a game engine.

CaptainMarlowe
10-09-2017, 12:18 PM
I have started recently to learn Unreal especially for RT rendering purposes, I must say I love it.

calilifestyle
10-09-2017, 12:47 PM
I have started recently to learn Unreal especially for RT rendering purposes, I must say I love it.
What file formats are getting exported to import into Unreal, i was trying to learn CryEngine but if the steps are easier for Unreal then i rather just jump back over.

CaptainMarlowe
10-09-2017, 01:15 PM
I mostly use FBX from LW.

Ztreem
10-09-2017, 01:17 PM
What file formats are getting exported to import into Unreal, i was trying to learn CryEngine but if the steps are easier for Unreal then i rather just jump back over.

Fbx usually works for most 3d packages and game engines. I mostly use Unity and it works great with both fbx and obj.

calilifestyle
10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
sounds good thank you. This video along did 100% more then NT has done, to encourage working with Lightwave

gar26lw
10-09-2017, 04:19 PM
sounds good thank you. This video along did 100% more then NT has done, to encourage working with Lightwave

andy mustn’t be that busy. lwg is too busy. ;p

samurai_x
10-09-2017, 07:02 PM
awesome presentation but now i have to really start learning a game engine.

Easy way is to use Iclone.
The latest version has a pretty good real time renderer. And very very easy to learn.
I'm using both unreal and iclone and see realtime gpu rendering as the future.

Luc_Feri
10-12-2017, 08:54 AM
Thankyou, Thankyou and Thankyou for this wonderful presentation.

I'm humbled completely. I haven't been on here in a long while. Much of my previous anger and frustrations was born from reasons like Andrew had mentioned, being ripped off and taken advantage off completely as a freelancer. It took me nearly a year to get my final payments owed, a couple of grand.

This all occured around the time of the announcement of the new version of LW and I disappeared after rants on here.

I did start using Houdini Indie, my other tools and tried different pipeline avenues, did a few small jobs, but I essentially completely lost my 3D Mojo.

After watching this I feel refreshed and reinvigourated and want to put my differences aside with LW and I have realised as a solo guy, I tried to learn way too many tools and got bogged down in non productivity.

Farhad_azer
10-15-2017, 06:08 PM
Dude, where have u been luc?
Good to see u back buddy.

jwiede
10-15-2017, 08:51 PM
andy mustn’t be that busy. lwg is too busy. ;p

And that's why the whole "we're too busy" excuse is unsupportable BS. Customer engagement is absolutely part of every company's job whether they admit it or not.

LW3DG can claim that demands for engagement are somehow mistreatment by customers all they want. LW3DG's been portraying themselves as victimized by their customers for years and years now. All such behavior has really achieved for LW3DG is ever further professional customer base alienation and marketshare erosion. Ultimately, the situation is self-resolving, LW3DG will either figure it out and fix their behavior, or cease to be relevant -- the latter seems more likely at this point.

Professionals have their own customers, so they won't lastingly tolerate vendors behaving in ways they know their own customers would never tolerate.

Luc_Feri
10-17-2017, 04:40 AM
Dude, where have u been luc?
Good to see u back buddy.

Hi mate! I haven't been doing much 3D lately, a bit here and there.

Are you still sticking with it? LW?

ianr
10-17-2017, 06:35 AM
[QUOTE
Professionals have their own customers, so they won't lastingly tolerate vendors behaving in ways they know their own customers would never tolerate.[/QUOTE]

I have mentioned before, thank You Jwiede

This cost me a Whole Slate in Rome last winter, including a local RED crew who may have been Lino's Mates!!!

Farhad_azer
10-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Yes i am Luc,

TBH i have also slowed down a bit and this is due to my pc not working properly but i will definitely update everything as soon as i can afford.

What is your intention and goals?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw sorry for hijacking your thread tonyhall, Perhaps we should have discussed these in another thread.

Luc_Feri
10-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Yes i am Luc,

TBH i have also slowed down a bit and this is due to my pc not working properly but i will definitely update everything as soon as i can afford.

What is your intention and goals?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw sorry for hijacking your thread tonyhall, Perhaps we should have discussed these in another thread.

Hi mate, I'll keep it brief so as not to hijack, lol!!

I slowed down it's ok. I lived it breathed 3D for a good solid 2 years until I started freelancing and then when that ended I was jaded, so naturally eased my mind which was crammed with knowledge and bursting!!

My intention now is to work for ME, and ME only, unless a top quality studio like Darkside hires me!! :D

I'm still working on my targets and goals and searching for my niche, it will come. Best of luck mate, keep at it!!!