PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Plow vs. Octane Render

jimiclaybrooks
09-30-2017, 01:57 PM
I have my first render on my new machine and its render time is projected to be roughly 75 hrs. At this point I'm asking, which would be the most cost effective solution. Pixel Plow has an automated upload process that makes a render setup very easy, (or so they say), and it seems to be quite affordable. On the other hand, IF I get something like Octane render, wouldn't that reduce my render times dramatically enough to continue to render in house? I'm not the most tech savvy guy around, so I'm asking for the much smarter people to chime in here and give me their wisdom, which is always appreciated. :rock: Thanks guys!
BTW, whats the diff between the stand alone version with a combo license and the cheaper LW license? Another question is, would renders do better if I added an extra graphics card since Octane is GPU based? I'm also thinking about AE and the compositing work I want to do?

jimiclaybrooks
09-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Been reading the thread on Octane render, and admittedly, some of the tech stuff is way over my head. But what I can see is that the plugin has come a long way since its inception. I'm just not sure if it'll meet my needs, since I'd rather have a turnkey solution for rendering.

jimiclaybrooks
10-01-2017, 07:39 PM
OK guys, no one seems to be responding to my question, so maybe I should ask this question instead. I do have some notion of what a physics based render is, and I'm asking, is Octane good enough to do what a conventional renderer would ? And if so, is it really difficult to set up the render, cause I'm just not that good with the nodal system yet, and I guess I'm spoiled, using the conventional renderer in LWave.

djwaterman
10-01-2017, 11:15 PM
I think you'd find Octane somewhat easier to set up than Lightwave, the node system is pretty simple, that's the whole point of these types of renderers. Personally, I don't like Octane renders much, often they look grainy, but it can be fixed with more samples which means longer render times. Download the demo version and test it, that's the sum of my experience with it. Someone who actually uses it should answer this question, Lightwave Guru did a very nice arch-viz fly-through animation with it which was as good as anything I've seen. Also that animated film Black Holes is rendered with Octane.

Danner
10-02-2017, 03:03 AM
Physics based rendering just means that the system more accurately simulates how light behaves in the real world. A big part of this is the correct use of the Fresnel effect and "energy conservation" in shaders.

If you have a large traditional render farm, you won't benefit from Octane, if your machine has the power and space requirements for more GPUs then Octane is a good option, with enough video card power it is very fast and very good looking. And no, it's not hard to set up. As far as noise, there are software solutions that work quite well to reduce noise, some require you to render a pair or more of noisy frames and they get combined. Octane can be set up to render 2 of each frame with different noise patterns for this reason.

I you only move the camera, use static cache, and your rigs have more CPU power than GPU, then your LW renders will be way faster.

UnCommonGrafx
10-02-2017, 03:45 AM
Jimmy,
While Octane is awesome I would say that it probably isn't going to fit your needs.
You state you are considering a turnkey system. To me, that suggests you just want to render, not learn a whole new system.

A post on the forum recently shows that LW can do Octane kinds of rendering (see: PBR rendering in LW) such that with a render farm, or turnkey crazy renderer, you would be on the road, running/rendering without a lot of learning to be done.

Try out octane to be sure.

jimiclaybrooks
10-02-2017, 05:39 AM
Thanks guys, that's helpful. For sure, I will try it out, as they tell you, you want to be sure your card can handle the program before you buy it. Makes sense. For my part, I spent the greater part of yesterday just reading up on it. So my only question now is, I saw no mention of volumetrics like clouds or flame and smoke. Can anyone tell me if Octane will do clouds and volumetrics? I'll try it myself, just wondering. BTW, I know that there are other renderers like Kray that also use the GPU, which begs the question. Is there some other renderer that can outdo Octane? Thanks again.

inkpen3d
10-02-2017, 08:11 AM
Check out GarageFarm (https://garagefarm.net/). I've always used them when I have a big LW render job - they are fast, good value for money and have excellent live online support.

jimiclaybrooks
10-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Thanks inkpen3d. I'm on it!