PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to RealFlow 10.1 for 555. Thoughts...?

Paul_Boland
09-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Hi Folks.

About a year or so back, I bought the Learning Edition of RealFlow 2015. I never really did much with it due to the restrictive licensing that came with it. Today I got an email from RealFlow and they are offering me an upgrade to the full RealFlow 10.1 for 555, nearly half the price of the software. I'm tempted by it but since I never really did much with RealFlow in the past, I'm now trying to do a crash course on the software to learn it.

I was wondering what your thoughts on this offer? It's a great discount but how well does this play with Lightwave? I've been stung before with Poser which I find very tricky working with it and Lightwave.

Any feedback appreciated...

rustythe1
09-27-2017, 04:56 PM
they discontinued support for lightwave last year so the plugin will likely not work on the latest versions, the only thing that may still work is the OBJ sequence loader, but that will limit what you can export, maybe you should look into the series of plugins that are starting to show up here using GPU, much cheaper and likely see a lot more development over the coming months and years,

Paul_Boland
09-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Thanks very much for the info. I checked and you're right. That puts an end to me giving that any consideration. I have been following the development of the fluid plugins with interest so I'll guess I'll go check them out again. Thanks!!

Oldcode
09-27-2017, 08:15 PM
they discontinued support for Lightwave last year so the plugin will likely not work on the latest versions, the only thing that may still work is the OBJ sequence loader, but that will limit what you can export, maybe you should look into the series of plugins that are starting to show up here using GPU, much cheaper and likely see a lot more development over the coming months and years,

I asked Alex Ribaoa about that. I'm using the demo version of 10.1. I still have the connectivity app from RF 2012-2015 and they still work in Lightwave for Version 10. You can export the geometry and animation from a V10 scene into a SD file and bring that into Real Flow, and when you're done, you can bring the fluid geometry you created into Lightwave.

Hope this helps.

jwiede
09-28-2017, 02:07 AM
Before that kind of expensive investment, I'd definitely wait and see if LW Next can even run the older RF plugins. Relying on no-longer-maintained plugins both to continue running in LW, and continue being able to import from new RF versions going forward, is a pretty significant risk.

OTOH, if there's any chance you may begin using a package supported by RF instead of LW, then that's a great discount to get onto the RF "upgrade" train.

rustythe1
09-28-2017, 02:13 AM
yes, obviously the plugins will continue to work with lightwave as lightwave hasn't been updated, that may change with the next lightwave and would also change if they added more features or changed the way realflow worked, one would assume though that things like FBX and alembic were high on their list which like Anima has eliminated the need for additional plugins, so in the future it might not matter as interchange itself is becoming more of a standard across all apps (just look at whats been shown in LWnext and VBO) so maybe its best to wait until we ever see next to make a decision,

Paul_Boland
09-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Thanks. I've passed on the offer, going to wait and see what comes. In the meantime I'm playing around with the Deep Rising FX demo.

Schwyhart
09-28-2017, 08:32 PM
Don't forget about UP as well: http://hurleyworks.com/portfolio-items/up/

Not as good as Real Flow, but the price is better.

samurai_x
09-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Realflow would probably be losing some more casual users that need fluids soon.
3dmax has integrated fluids now.
https://area.autodesk.com/blogs/the-3ds-max-blog/introducing-3ds-max-2018-update-3/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQGgKBr9YIs

Surrealist.
09-28-2017, 08:54 PM
The best plugins for LightWave right now are going to be external apps. For fluids there is Houdini. Indie is a solid choice.

Paul_Boland
09-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Thanks for more feedback. I am aware of Up but haven't tried it yet. Houdini has my eye but it's so different from other 3D packages I'd really need to sit down and learn it from the ground up.

Surrealist.
09-29-2017, 11:29 PM
Yes. You are correct. You would. But the pay off here is more than just fluids. You'd be opening up an entire world of effects. :)