PDA

View Full Version : Select Everyother Poly?

Tony3d
09-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Hi All, I thought there was a way to have Lightwave select every other poly (see image).

Sensei
09-27-2017, 09:05 AM
What do you mean by "every other".. ?
If you want to select polygons which are between one polygon and other polygon, try Selection > Specialty > Select Path.

ps. I found inspiration from your post, to make plugin which will calculate area of selected polygon, and allow selecting polygons within tolerance +- range from it (if "area of poly +- tolerance from user" -> "select it").

Tony3d
09-27-2017, 09:22 AM
Are you going to make an LScript? That would be great! I know you can do this in other 3d programs. So there is no way of currently doing this?

Ztreem
09-27-2017, 10:05 AM
Use select Nth

Sensei
09-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Are you going to make an LScript?

I never make LScripts. I am writing C/C++ plugins exclusively..

Sensei
09-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Use select Nth

That won't help if somebody needs to select polygons with exact area +- some tolerance.

f.e. polygon has 1m^2 area, +-1 cm^2 tolerance. And instant update while playing with tolerance slider.

Tony3d
09-27-2017, 11:19 AM
Cool! You really going to make one?

MonroePoteet
09-27-2017, 12:13 PM
That won't help if somebody needs to select polygons with exact area +- some tolerance.

f.e. polygon has 1m^2 area, +-1 cm^2 tolerance. And instant update while playing with tolerance slider.

It looks to me like Select Nth Pattern will do exactly what Tony3D indicated he wanted to do in the original post. Looks like he's making a gear and wants to select every other polygon around the circumference of his disc to extrude the teeth.

To do so, select the entire outer polygons by selecting two adjacent ones and use right-arrow to complete the ring, then use Selection=>Speciality=>Select Nth Pattern with parameters 2,1, with the result:

mTp

Sensei
09-27-2017, 02:14 PM
You're right. Select two+ polygons in row, then Select Loop, and then Select n-th, will select every 2nd, every 3rd and so on. If that's what he initially wanted to do in OP. That's why I asked what he meant by "every other".. Select Path was also answer..
I started discussion about completely new tool in my post..

Tony3d
09-27-2017, 03:16 PM
Yes, that works great! I saw that, but didn't understand how it worked! Thanks again!

jeric_synergy
09-27-2017, 05:27 PM
It looks to me like Select Nth Pattern will do exactly what Tony3D indicated he wanted to do in the original post. Looks like he's making a gear and wants to select every other polygon around the circumference of his disc to extrude the teeth.

To do so, select the entire outer polygons by selecting two adjacent ones and use right-arrow to complete the ring, then use Selection=>Speciality=>Select Nth Pattern with parameters 2,1, with the result:

mTp

I occaisionally wonder about the proper 'formula' or algorithm to use Select N to make arbitrary pattern selections. But usually it's just faster to use Selection Sets or Parts in combination w/Select N.