PDA

View Full Version : 3D-Coat 4.8 Released !

eon5
09-26-2017, 06:14 PM
3D-Coat (https://3dcoat.com/home/) is the one application that has all the tools you need to take your 3D idea from a block of digital clay all the way to a production ready, fully textured organic or hard surface model.

What's New in 3D-Coat 4.8 - Key Features: (https://3dcoat.com/home/)

- Possibility to attach Smart Materials to layers!
Materials managing becomes even easier

- Smart Materials usage history.

- Possibility to change resolution of textures, attached materials will automatically be re-sampled!

- Improved Curvature calculation. This is crucial for Smart Materials to be looking even more realistic.

- Render scene in Renderman. Yep, you heard it right!

- Baking Scan. Paint baking depth with brush.
Now you can define with an ease of a brush stroke how big the depth of scanning will be.

- New Primitives in Retopo room: cylinder, torus, cube, ellipse, spiral, etc.
We are getting closer and closer to low-poly modeling!

- 4K monitors support. Now UI elements and font size will automatically fit your screen resolution.

- Proxy Slider. Set your proxy degree with an easy slider movement.

- Rotation mode quick switch - around Y or free rotation. See navigation panel.
Need both modes at hand? Now you have the quick swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czTH6oRFCuE

Schwyhart
09-26-2017, 09:21 PM
I really should try to learn this. I mean, I've owned it since V3.

Schwyhart
09-26-2017, 09:26 PM

gamedesign1
09-27-2017, 01:37 AM
I love this app. The thing i struggle with is hard surface modelling to accurate measurements. Imagine if they had something like LWCAD inside 3Dcoat. Mmmmmm :)

blackmondy
09-27-2017, 03:07 AM
This was touted as being Lightwave-friendly when it came out but there hasn't any development for the Applink plugin for a while.

gar26lw
09-27-2017, 04:32 AM
This was touted as being Lightwave-friendly when it came out but there hasn't any development for the Applink plugin for a while.

Why would there be, no dev on lw, from a users experience. :/

Marander
09-27-2017, 04:47 AM
Good news. The trailer looks nice too.

I have a question: So far I have not been able to produce satisfying sculpting with 3D-Coat Voxelscupting. The result looks always very jaggy. In most tutorials I fast forward watched I see the same issue also with hard surface modeling, creases and other details look very jaggy / not clean or straight (as compared to ZBrush sculpting / hard surface modeling, but I don't have it). Also I have not seen a clean quad only mesh as result. Is there a retopo step involved at the end of voxel scuplting?

Can someone explain the correct steps for Voxel sculpting in order to get a clean result? (both organic and hard surface modeling).

Sorry for my incompetence, I have only used 3D-Coat for UV Mapping so far.

samurai_x
09-27-2017, 07:22 AM
Good news. The trailer looks nice too.

I have a question: So far I have not been able to produce satisfying sculpting with 3D-Coat Voxelscupting. The result looks always very jaggy. In most tutorials I fast forward watched I see the same issue also with hard surface modeling, creases and other details look very jaggy / not clean or straight (as compared to ZBrush sculpting / hard surface modeling, but I don't have it). Also I have not seen a clean quad only mesh as result. Is there a retopo step involved at the end of voxel scuplting?

Can someone explain the correct steps for Voxel sculpting in order to get a clean result? (both organic and hard surface modeling).

Sorry for my incompetence, I have only used 3D-Coat for UV Mapping so far.

That's the drawback of voxels. You need to switch the object to surface mode to get fidelity and crisp lines. Then retopo the sculpt and bake your maps.

eon5
09-28-2017, 05:28 AM
I forgot to mention, but might be important.

100$ OFF PRO LICENSE TILL OCTOBER 10 (https://3dcoat.com/buy/)

Marander
09-28-2017, 11:24 AM
That's the drawback of voxels. You need to switch the object to surface mode to get fidelity and crisp lines. Then retopo the sculpt and bake your maps.

Thanks Samurai!

Markc
10-01-2017, 07:36 AM
- 4K monitors support. Now UI elements and font size will automatically fit your screen resolution.

This is a nice feature (for when I get a 4k monitor), but it is a little weird at the moment, as all the text is 'slightly' bigger than in v4.7.
It just feels slightly too big, I will have to get used to it.

CaptainMarlowe
10-02-2017, 03:13 AM
I noticed quad strip tool finally works fine in Mac, it used to crash v4.7 on my system and that will be a huge time saver for manual retopo.

Norka
11-26-2017, 06:48 AM
Hey, does anyone know following, about this ancient 6-plus-year-old 3DCoat Applink plug:

[1] Is it working with LW 2015.3?

[2] Is this dang thing even 64bit?

[3] If this old dinosaur still works, does everything transfer well between LW 2015.3 and 3DC 4.8, just as it does in that old tutorial?

gar26lw
11-26-2017, 07:06 AM
by pure coincidence, i just tried this out today and wasnt having any luck.
put it down to lw being dead. it really sucks :(

Norka
11-26-2017, 07:15 AM
Hmm.. I can't get OD_CopyPasteExternal working between the 3DCoat and LW2015.3 either! D'oh!... Anyone have it working? I did edit the scripts from 4.7 to 4.8, as they say on github, but am still getting errors when trying to run either the copy or paste scripts...