PDA

View Full Version : PIP/Stability/CG

mrjaialai
12-20-2003, 05:47 PM
Now that a new year and a new budget are almost here I'm looking at the T3 upgrade, and I have a couple of questions.

1. Are the PIP effects fixed? As in with the T2 the compressed video is very shaky.

2. How is the stablility? We use the toaster for over 40 live hours weekly, so the stability is huge for me. Would it be the same, a little more stable, or a lot.

3. How is the new CG? I assume the memory leak has been fixed, but other than that would I still be better off using Aura, or is it a more integratable this time around.

Thanks ahead of time for any responses.

Jim Capillo
12-20-2003, 06:44 PM
1. With the splines, influences and nodes, you can do just about anything you want with PIP's - over any time frame.... a huge improvement. Quality is fine.

2. My machine is A LOT more stable. Haven't had a crash in many months (honestly). I am of the opinion that a (reputable/knowledgable) dealer built box is the key to stability. Given the nature of the PeeCee, it's easy to have one component throw the whole affair out of whack.

3. The "new" CG is an improvement, but I would have to say it's got a long way to go before it gets to the level of the other apps. Many are using outboard programs - I was using the Trinity CG up until a few months ago. I am pretty much using the VT CG for 80% or so of what I do, but I have also used Photoshop and Mirage for graphics. It seems that the CG is the runt of the litter here...... :rolleyes:

bradl
12-21-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mrjaialai
1. Are the PIP effects fixed? As in with the T2 the compressed video is very shaky. Some say the compression is not as smooth as VT2. Andrew says it is better. It is not the best you can get, but for real-time it is adequate. Like VT2, depends on what your source material is and how large it is. There were some real alias issues on the edges of PIPs at first and that has been addressed partially, but it can still alias at certain angles and the colored borders alias bad at all angles.

2. How is the stablility? We use the toaster for over 40 live hours weekly, so the stability is huge for me. Would it be the same, a little more stable, or a lot.
For Live, I have read that you can setup your system in such a fashion as to eliminate most stablily issues. For my system, I still crash a couple of times a week when doing very heavy editing with lots and lots of elements...

3. How is the new CG? I assume the memory leak has been fixed, but other than that would I still be better off using Aura, or is it a more integratable this time around.Improved but not much different from VT2. Works fine for what it is and is fully integrated. There was some issues with Roll and/or Crawl speeds and I am not sure if that is resolved or not as I don't use CG for that.

Upgrading to VT3 is essential. It is in many regards like getting a whole new machine. VTEdit took a quantum jump from 2 to 3.