PDA

View Full Version : Opening an old scene created in Maya

Schwyhart
09-18-2017, 08:57 AM
I imported an fbx file into Layout, which took several hours to open. Now, I'm trying to clean it up and deleting unnecessary faces/polygons/items. Using the scene editor, I select an item, hit clear and it takes forever to delete. I'm deleting a Mental Ray IBL and so far LW has been trying to delete it for about 30 minutes.
This isn't the first time I've noticed how slow LW is. I just hope LWNext comes out soon.

For now, any suggestions how I can speed up this process?

Ztreem
09-18-2017, 09:44 AM
I imported an fbx file into Layout, which took several hours to open. Now, I'm trying to clean it up and deleting unnecessary faces/polygons/items. Using the scene editor, I select an item, hit clear and it takes forever to delete. I'm deleting a Mental Ray IBL and so far LW has been trying to delete it for about 30 minutes.
This isn't the first time I've noticed how slow LW is. I just hope LWNext comes out soon.

For now, any suggestions how I can speed up this process?

When you have loaded the fbx save it as lws and reload it. If I remember correctly it loads much faster as lws. Then if you have many objects or surfaces like more than 500 lw will be slow, its just the way it is. Try to delete unwanted objects in the app you exported from ,if possible. Thats why we need the new geometry engine in lwnext...

Schwyhart
09-18-2017, 02:30 PM
So when I created this back then, I added bolts to the columns. This added several thousand polys because I physically created them. I'm going to try to create a normal map instead. This should make a huge impact in the efficiency of the scene.

Ztreem
09-18-2017, 02:46 PM
So when I created this back then, I added bolts to the columns. This added several thousand polys because I physically created them. I'm going to try to create a normal map instead. This should make a huge impact in the efficiency of the scene.

Lot of polys is usually not a problem in layout as long as its not spread between alot of objects/ layers. So if every bolt is an individual object then it will be slow, try to make all bolts to one object or even better use instances. I usually work with scenes with 5-30 million polys but not that many objects and it usually work quite well.

rustythe1
09-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I had this problem the other day and it was because the exported FBX had assigned a separate surface to every poly, to speed it up I had to re surface the whole thing as I couldn't even select a single poly in modeller without it taking about 30 mins,

rustythe1
09-18-2017, 04:01 PM
and like ztreem I am currently working on a scene that has 26 million physical polys with no slowdown or issues, as well as having about 10000 instanced trees and bushes

Schwyhart
09-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Should I instance this in Layout?
This section alone has 162,868 faces. I will need to duplicate this four times, then of course the rest of the building.

Surrealist.
09-25-2017, 01:11 PM
In addition to that, I would work on those smoothing errors. Definitely instance it though.

rustythe1
09-25-2017, 04:53 PM
I would rebuild it, trace it in a new layer, something like that only needs a few thousand polys without losing the look, you may find if you merge points the run the unify polys command there is useless overlapping stuff in there