PDA

View Full Version : NDI recording tricks for training and such

JPulera
09-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Hi All,

I sometimes need to record the TriCaster UI to produce training videos for customers. Never an easy task...until now, thanks to NDI. I downloaded and installed the most recent NDI Scan Converter (part of NDI Tools) onto my TC460 AE. I run Scan Converter from Windows, and tell it to use "Desktop 1" as the source. I then launch TriCaster software, and the UI gets sent out as NDI! Now, that same NDI output can then be selected as an INPUT on the TriCaster, so that it can be recorded locally. Note that the NDI input cannot be recorded directly - rather, you need to select that input in an ME, then assign the ME to a MIX, then record the MIX to get an iso-recording of the NDI.

Alternately, use a separate PC and the NDI IsoCorder app to record the UI output there.

Next tip - I have a church customer with TC Mini, and they record their live service as H.264 on the Mini itself. However, they want to also have a back-up recording made in another part of the building. Of course, using NDI IsoCorder is one option, but they don't want the huge file size of the .mov recordings. I figured out a 2-step process to recording the NDI stream remotely as an .mp4 file. First, install the new NDI Studio Monitor (from NDI Tools) on a decent PC. This allows full-screen presentation of an NDI source with no borders or overlays, just perfect edge-to-edge HD video (I am using a 1920x1080 display to view a 1920x1080 NDI source).

Next, install the free Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) on same PC. Configure to record the DISPLAY as .mp4 at desired resolution, and then also set up HotKeys in OBS to start and stop recording (so that OBS interface does not get recorded at all).

With OBS running and shrunk, run NDI Studio Monitor and set to Full Screen, No Borders. When ready to record, press the OBS recording HotKey. Works great! Another recording option if the PC and GPU support it is to record with the nVidia Shadow Play utility, also recording an .mp4 file.

Thanks

Lee-AVP
09-18-2017, 09:09 AM
Glad to know that works well, though I do still hesitate to install even Scan Converter on my Tricasters. Having the interface as an NDI source would generally be very helpful to me!

kanep
09-18-2017, 09:42 AM
OBS Studio has a NDI plug-in, instead of having to capture the screen you can have OBS record the direct NDI source. Now you don't have to worry about anything covering the screen.

https://github.com/Palakis/obs-ndi/releases

Another option for capturing the screen that will not impact the TriCaster resources would be to connect a Spark HDMI to the UI (or multiview) output, it has a loop thru back to your main display.

JPulera
09-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Kane,

Is there anything you don't know?!

Thanks for the tips!

Jeff

kanep
09-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Kane,

Is there anything you don't know?!

Yes, right now that thing is 'Polymer' JavaScript application development, but I hope to have that figured out at some point... :)

joseburgos
09-25-2017, 03:47 PM
Glad to know that works well, though I do still hesitate to install even Scan Converter on my Tricasters. Having the interface as an NDI source would generally be very helpful to me!

Lee,
You could get yourself a Spark HDMI and connect it to the Multiview port (use an adapter depending on the TriCaster model). Now Mirror your display in Windows display settings so that both Interface and Multiview are Interface.
Now you have the Interface available via NDI HX to be seen by anything that can grab the NDI HX network stream.
Just make sure you have latest version of TriCaster software with HX driver as well as any 3rd party software having NDI HX ability.

- - - Updated - - -

Jeff,
Nice to know it works, thanks for the info