PDA

View Full Version : can I ask a ZBrush question?

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 09:53 AM
Registering for the ZBC forums, the confirmation email was caught up in my spam filters so while I try to sort that out, I'm wondering if someone can answer a quick question for me.

I'm drawing a curves with an IMM brush and wonder if there's a way I can start the curve then rotate my object to a different angle then continue drawing the curve. I can't find much about this online.

Thanks!

hrgiger
09-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Yes, just drag the mouse just a little bit away from the end of the curve where you have a red line connecting them and just keep drawing.

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Yes, just drag the mouse just a little bit away from the end of the curve where you have a red line connecting them and just keep drawing.

OH, man. Thank you! A very subtle visual cue, but now that I see it, it does work.

And, can you help with an alpha question?

I loaded a PNG as an alpha with the standard brush. Using DragRect, the corners are fading out even though it's supposed to be square. RF is set to 0 in the alpha modifier. I can post a screen grab is that helps. It's driving me crazy.

Thank you!

jasonwestmas
09-16-2017, 10:51 AM
OH, man. Thank you! A very subtle visual cue, but now that I see it, it does work.

And, can you help with an alpha question?

I loaded a PNG as an alpha with the standard brush. Using DragRect, the corners are fading out even though it's supposed to be square. RF is set to 0 in the alpha modifier. I can post a screen grab is that helps. It's driving me crazy.

Thank you!

Can we see the image? If there is any 100% black in the png you are using as an alpha it will be transparent in zbrush.

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 11:04 AM
Here are the grabs:

The alpha is square with a perfectly black border. I can't post it because it was part of a set I paid for.

jeric_synergy
09-16-2017, 11:52 AM
My guess is that it has something to do with that FALLOFF parameter. Set that to zero and see what happens.

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 11:59 AM
My guess is that it has something to do with that FALLOFF parameter. Set that to zero and see what happens.

Tried that, too. No change.

gerry_g
09-16-2017, 12:34 PM
no the focal shift set to zero at the top of your screen not in the brush modifiers panel

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 12:43 PM
no the focal shift set to zero at the top of your screen not in the brush modifiers panel

Yikes. That did it...but why? Setting it to -1 worked.

hrgiger
09-16-2017, 01:56 PM
Go to Alpha<Modify<Midvalue. Start with a value of 50 and go up or down from there until the edges disappear.

sadkkf
09-16-2017, 03:32 PM
Go to Alpha<Modify<Midvalue. Start with a value of 50 and go up or down from there until the edges disappear.

I've tried that, too, and it didn't help. I'm still wondering why Focal Shift does.

jeric_synergy
09-16-2017, 06:42 PM
I've tried that, too, and it didn't help. I'm still wondering why Focal Shift does.

When you find out, please post.

sadkkf
09-17-2017, 07:22 AM
I found this after searching the web:

"Size of the falloff of the brush in relation to the brush size."

From here:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-focal-shift-in-ZBrush

jeric_synergy
09-17-2017, 10:41 AM
I found this after searching the web:
"Size of the falloff of the brush in relation to the brush size."
From here:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-focal-shift-in-ZBrush
??? Does that make any sense, that name to that function??

gerry_g
09-17-2017, 12:03 PM
no expert on ZBrush but when you use an alpha it completely replaces all the brush attributes, meaning they do nothing, all of those attributes in the brush panel are to do with the look and feel of any stroke you are building and are only in play with a regular brush not an alpha. The settings at the top of the screen are for strength and radial falloff of the brush stroke or alpha you are using, if it wasn't set up like this you would be forever diving into the brush pallet to adjust your brush strength, not to mention you would be forever altering a brush look that you took some time to set up, so you want to alter the amount you alpha or brush affects your surface or you want it to have a falloff or no falloff use the the settings at the top of the screen, hitting spacebar brings them up in a mini dialogue panel too I believe.