PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio critique

jperk
09-15-2017, 06:53 AM
Can someone please critique my portfolio website listed in profile and perhaps let me know what pieces should go and what should stay?

djwaterman
09-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Well you asked. I would do a lot of culling, I'd also have separate sites for each discipline. About half of the paintings were excellent (the nude guy sitting on bed and the women standing for example), and then the other half were just exercises, same with the drawings, I think drawing and painting could all be one gallery anyway. The 3D stuff feels out of place among all the other stuff, I'd also keep your photography separate as well, some pieces, like the flamingos, broken window, you on a slab were evocative, others didn't say a lot, so you should cull, too much stuff.

See my web sites where I basically do everything I'm telling you not to, I'm hopeless at this as well, But you have to protect yourself from yourself so you have to hide all your messing about and only put up the really good stuff, then everyone assumes all your stuff must be good. I think you're pretty strong on the art side and that deserves it's own focus away from the learning 3D stuff, too much of a mixed message, too art school to point a prospective employer (3D) towards, too all over the shop to point a gallery owner towards. Divide up your content specifically for different audiences, that's my main advice.

Schwyhart
09-15-2017, 10:43 AM
I'm not sure separating out your work into different websites is a good thing. As long as your website is laid out well, you'll be fine. Especially now that you have a limited amount of work to show.
However, definitely only show your best work. Quality over quantity.
Also, how you present the work is important. The small thumbnails you provide are too small. Clicking an image to make it full screen just to see what it even is...no bueno. IMO make the thumbnails larger so that the viewer can still enjoy the picture, but give them the option to view the image full screen if they would like to see it in all it's glory :)
I'm not a website designer, so I use Weebly. It's fast and flexible. I've created websites from scratch in the past, but I don't think it's necessary any more.

tcoursey
09-15-2017, 02:10 PM
I can't comment on the portfolio itself, but I would say the presentation could use an update as mentioned. If your at all familiar with HTML/CSS you should check out wrapbootstrap.com they have some great protfolio websites that you can purchase, modify and use. Simple as changing some text here and there probably for you. Might help! Take care.

sami
09-15-2017, 05:32 PM
I've been doing a lot of hiring and see a bunch of resumes - Kill the objective section - that's super dated. Instead do a 1-line short phrase that sums up your skills & experience.

Some nice things in there - but some gotchas that accentuate you're still learning and your digital skills haven't caught up to your physical art skills yet. Definitely kill the sphere eyeball - that popped out sorely. Try to be objective when culling your portfolio and not keep stuff that took you a lot of effort (cuz youre still learning), but instead keep things you as an artist would think is worth $ if you were paying an artist.

Also try a free website template from here: https://html5up.net/
the big empty black box cutting off the eyes of that background pic is a bit weird and not very design thought out - which is what i'd want from an artist - design thinking...

Great start though - don't worry you'll get there!

(Also don't tell people you use LW ;-) )