PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request - Display MAC

jcupp
09-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Display the MAC address somewhere in the settings page. Using the Arp command is a pain on a big network.

SBowie
09-14-2017, 04:56 PM
What do you have in mind that requires the Mac address, Jeff?

jcupp
09-15-2017, 07:18 AM
Got a customer with some sort of locked down network where they require the mac address of any new device for authentication. It seems like it would simple enough for that to display on the same screen with the IP address etc. Or even just a sticker on the bottom of the unit. They got it to work while I was typing up instructions for the use of ARP so I'm not sure what they actually used to discover the MAC address.

SBowie
09-15-2017, 07:40 AM
Thanks.

SBowie
09-15-2017, 08:39 AM
I just checked, and the MAC address is shown for Spark, Jeff - it's in the expandable Ethernet settings group. (It isn't shown for NDI-PTZ1, however. I'll inquire about adding it.)

PIZAZZ
09-15-2017, 10:15 AM
I just checked, and the MAC address is shown for Spark, Jeff - it's in the expandable Ethernet settings group. (It isn't shown for NDI-PTZ1, however. I'll inquire about adding it.)

We definitely need those MAC addresses easily accessible in order to add them into a secure network. ie. Universities with decent IT staff

jcupp
09-15-2017, 12:04 PM
I'm not seeing it on mine on the Ethernet setting I only have IP address, Netmask and Gateway.

SBowie
09-15-2017, 01:04 PM
What firmware version are you running, Jeff?

jcupp
09-15-2017, 01:08 PM
3.72.0335 It's whatever was on it originally.

SBowie
09-15-2017, 01:11 PM
You should update, that will probably fix it.

jcupp
09-15-2017, 01:53 PM
Will do, thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty cool when the feature gets added before I ask!

jcupp
09-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Updated to 3.77.0404 (which wasn't easy to find by the way). and still no MAC address display.

kanep
09-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Force a browser refresh just to make sure it isn't caching the previous HTML. Press Shift+F5 (or hold down shift when you click the reload button).

Just curious, what made the firmware difficult to find?

SBowie
09-16-2017, 03:21 PM
Agreed with Kane - depending on your browser, you may need to delete your history.

vanderwielen
09-17-2017, 08:27 AM
registering MACS very common at high schools. however, have they tried using their own router and have that mac registered by the venue? hi Jeff.

BTW, is there anyway to connect to the spark Ad-Hoc with a iPhone or mobile device. The spark broadcasts an SSID and does ask for a password to connect, but I don't see anything documented about this.

AElli
09-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Ok so I know having the Mac add. showing on the unit itself is great
But there's an app for iOS or android called Fing. Connect to the network and run a scan.
Gives back ipaddress, Mac addresses and a ton of other info from everything connected on that network.

A.

jcupp
09-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Refreshing worked, it's weird that the firmware version changed but other parts of the web page did not.

I couldn't find a link to the firmware anywhere. Not on the Downloads page and not on the product page. I ended up using google to do a site search on the web directory that contained the PTZ1 firmware at newtek.com.

Searching newtek.com using the search on the main page would have worked too if one doesn't use 'exact phrase' to search for "Spark Firmware" or "Spark Download" I didn't notice this detail until after I'd thrown my hands up a bailed to google.

jcupp
09-19-2017, 10:14 AM
registering MACS very common at high schools. however, have they tried using their own router and have that mac registered by the venue?

Hey!, I'm not sure how they ended up getting around it but Joe user doesn't have admin access to the router at Enormous State U. and it probably has 1000s of machines on the list. I don't know if they tried their own router but the U may put a kabosh on that also. I figure if they're parinoid enough to register all the MAC addresses they're not going to allow rogue routers:)

SBowie
09-19-2017, 10:16 AM
I couldn't find a link to the firmware anywhere. Not on the Downloads page and not on the product page.

Firmware for either Spark or NDI-PTZ1 is listed along with the user guide and HX driver on their respective webpages - that is, the one shown on the little card in the box. (To find this page later, click the ? at right in the titlebar of the device's webpage.)

jcupp
09-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Good to know. Never even glanced at the little card. How about a link on the download page along with everything else just for consistency's sake.

SBowie
09-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Good to know. Never even glanced at the little card.That little card leads to a page that has everything you need in on one page. Maybe we need to make it work like a little jack-in-the-box. ;)

Alan McInnes
11-10-2017, 04:18 PM
I can add that we are a technology heavy K-12 private school and our IT department requires MAC addresses of any new device. Having just bought a Connect Spark HDMI, Iím sure I will be going through the same process.