PDA

View Full Version : Spark setup issue

JonCrowe
09-13-2017, 02:09 PM
So I've followed the steps to setup my Spark HDMI. I've installed the driver/monitor program, and I can see and select "NewTek Connect-Chan1". However, I never see a picture from the camera. Just a slide that says "this device can be used as an NDI source, please visit new.tk/ndihx to learn how to activate". When I click on the gear at the bottom right, it takes my to the NewTek NDI:HX driver page, which I've already installed.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled, but always get the sames results.

Any help is appreciated.

Zane Condren
09-13-2017, 02:12 PM
Did you factory reset it after you did the firmware upgrade? It's like a wireless router there is a hole next to the power switch insert a paper clip and hold for 5 seconds to factory reset.

JonCrowe
09-13-2017, 02:19 PM
I can try the factory reset. However, I should point out that I am unable to perform the firmware upgrade or any other functions since I cannot access the device's webpage. All it displays is the message listed above "this device can be used...." and when the gear is clicked on, it takes me to the NDI:HX driver webpage.

Zane Condren
09-13-2017, 02:21 PM
Sorry, I misread that. The best thing to do is contact support over chat and they should be able to resolve it quickly.

JonCrowe
09-13-2017, 02:50 PM
So, I've tried to un-install and re-install again. This time during the driver installation I get an error message saying that the program will not run properly because windows requires a digitally signed driver. I'm on Windows 7 Pro 64bit.

JonCrowe
09-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if there is a known issue with Windows 7 Pro 64 with the Spark driver? I have now tried on two separate machines and the driver will not complete the installation because it says that "Windows requires a digitally signed driver".

JonCrowe
09-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Screenshot of the error:

SBowie
09-13-2017, 03:44 PM
We've got a lot of Win 7 systems here, Jon, and haven't seen this. I'll ask QA about it.

Zane Condren
09-13-2017, 04:10 PM
This may be effected by local domain or network policy.

JonCrowe
09-14-2017, 07:40 AM
I have now tried on two separate un-managed basic networks (router with DHCP and no policies) with the same results. I was able to install the driver without the "digitally signed" error, however I still have the same problem. Each time I am able to select the device "Newtek-Connect Chan1" but the screen displays the message "this device can be used as an NDI source, please visit new.tk/ndihx to learn how to activate". Once the gear is clicked in the bottom right corner, the newtek webpage for the HX driver is displayed instead on the Spark's setup webpage.

Help please, thanks!
Jon

Zane Condren
09-14-2017, 08:16 AM
Jon,

Directly connect it to a computer with a network cable and give your computer an ip address of 192.168.100.* the sparks have a failsafe IP of 192.168.100.168 which you should be able to navigate to and get into the admin setup of the spark.

JonCrowe
09-18-2017, 06:55 PM
UPDATE: The only way I can access either of three Sparks that I have is to let them "time-out" and fall back to the failsafe IP, and then I can get to them via a PC with a similar IP. DHCP is working on the units (they work with the DHCP on the network and are visible on Tricaster as a source) however any of the advanced setup from the Spark's webpage can only be accessed by the failsafe/manual IP entry method listed above. I have tried on three separate Win 7 pro 64 machines with the same results...NDI monitor can see the device, but no picture is displayed (just the message advising the device can be used with the HX driver) and when the gear is clicked it doesn't go to the Spark's setup webpage, it goes to the NewTek download page.

Footballer
09-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks Zane for the info on the local-link (fail safe). I had to use that method with all four of mine. Only worked with Opera, would not work with Chrome, although now that I think about it I didn't refresh the browser.

I did not have to wait for the local-link to kick in, it worked right away.

Now that the units firmware has been updated I can login via NDI Studio monitor as per the pdf.

SBowie
09-19-2017, 07:20 AM
Thanks Zane for the info on the local-link (fail safe) ... I did not have to wait for the local-link to kick in, it worked right away.

Now that the units firmware has been updated I can login via NDI Studio monitor as per the pdf.The Local Link address always works, and does not rely on DHCP failing. But Jon - are you saying that once the firmware was updated, the issue quoted below has been resolved too?

I have tried on three separate Win 7 pro 64 machines with the same results...NDI monitor can see the device, but no picture is displayed (just the message advising the device can be used with the HX driver) and when the gear is clicked it doesn't go to the Spark's setup webpage, it goes to the NewTek download page.

JonCrowe
09-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Steve, no unfortunately even after updating the firmware on the units, I still can't access them via the "gear" in NDI monitor. I always have to use the local-link address. It works, but just not as convenient as the normal way.

thanks
Jon

SBowie
09-20-2017, 02:30 PM
OK, thanks John. We'll look into this a bit.

John Freedom
10-12-2017, 09:52 AM
I am experiencing the same exact problem. (MIND LOSING EXPERIENCE!)

John Freedom
10-12-2017, 10:00 AM
I am experiencing the same problems. Tried direct connect with Mac OSx -- didn't work! Help!

Customer service has not been answering the phone for me this week. Tried multiple times as long as 40 - 45 minutes per.

SBowie
10-12-2017, 10:18 AM
If these problems remain, I'd suggest working through them with CS.

Red Dog Records
10-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Hmmmm.. we are having a slightly similar issue with our Spark HDMI.

The unit looks great on Studio Monitor, has the latest firmware, but does not show up in our Tricaster.

Correction: It shows up as a selectable NDI source in our Tricaster, but when we select it, we get the image showing the message :
"This device can be used as an NDI source. Go to... to activate this device"

I spent about an hour on Chat with CS today, but they had no ideas other than to do a factory reset on the device.

Turns out we could NOT do a factory reset. We tried using a paperclip into the hole next to the power switch, but after the device reset, it still had the new name we gave it.

So does anyone else have ideas on how to do a successful factory reset?

Per the instruction from CS today:
1) unit is turned on
2) insert paperclip into hole and push for ~10 seconds
3) release paperclip

Am I doing something wrong? Am I supposed to turn the unit on WHILE pushing in the reset button?

Thanks!

Andrew

rabbit
10-30-2018, 12:59 AM
Hi Andrew,
in my case it worked out that way. If the network is connected during the reset, the unit gets an IP via dhcp.

Hartmut

Red Dog Records
10-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Hi Andrew,
in my case it worked out that way. If the network is connected during the reset, the unit gets an IP via dhcp.

Hartmut

Danke Hartmut!

For some reason, mine just won't do the factory reset. OF course, I assume that a factory reset will remove any special name we have given the unit.
Since the name does not reset on my device, I think it is not really resetting.
The fact that I can see it fine on through the Studio Monitor application AND it shows up as a source on my Tricaster makes things really strange.
Unfortunately, all I see through the Tricaster is the splash screen with the error basically telling me I need to 'activate' my device.

Still not working.

SBowie
10-31-2018, 07:31 AM
Since the name does not reset on my device, I think it is not really resetting.Perhaps, but I want to mention that after a reset, Studio Monitor and possibly TriCaster too do not always display the new name immediately. They will sometimes continue to connect while displaying the old name if the IP address hasn't changed, until some point later when a refresh is done. (I think a re-start of the receiving app will usually force a refresh.)

Unfortunately, all I see through the Tricaster is the splash screen with the error basically telling me I need to 'activate' my deviceForgive me if you've mentioned this before, but you do have a recent NDI HX driver installed on the TC, right?

Red Dog Records
11-01-2018, 12:13 AM
Forgive me if you've mentioned this before, but you do have a recent NDI HX driver installed on the TC, right?

Hi Steve! YES, I do have the latest NDI/HX drivers installed.
We tried again today after restarting both units, but still the same result.

Andrew

SBowie
11-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Welp ... I guess unless someone has a clever idea, that leaves two options. You could probably return it, which may or may not resolve the issue. Alternatively, if it's not the device itself that has issues, and if you have the patience, you could 'bug it', and see where that leads. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

Red Dog Records
11-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Welp ... I guess unless someone has a clever idea, that leaves two options. You could probably return it, which may or may not resolve the issue. Alternatively, if it's not the device itself that has issues, and if you have the patience, you could 'bug it', and see where that leads. Sorry I don't have a better answer.

No worries Steve!

I am working with CS to figure this thing out. It has worked pretty consistently since we got it, so I am sure SOMETHING in the chain just needs an swift kick...er...I mean update.

Andrew