PDA

View Full Version : DFX+ with Virtual PC

SeptemberSnow
12-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Today I received Digital Fusion DFX+ from NewTek. Wish it had been Lightwave 8. But, after watching the tutorials on the NewTek site, Id like to make use of the program.

My question is: Does anyone have an opinion about whether DFX+ will work on Virtual PC?

I'm running a dual GHz machine with plenty of ram.

mlinde
12-20-2003, 12:14 PM
I expect it would work. I don't know how well it would work. I'm assuming you have a dual 1GHz G4, not a G5, since VPC doesn't run on the G5.

In addition, for you techy types:
http://openosx.com/wintel/

Ge4-ce
12-20-2003, 03:43 PM
You can always try it.. But I don't trust it to work..

1: DFX comes with a printerport dongle.. That won't fit on your Mac! I'm not sure if the USB-dongle from LW works also for DFX+

2: even if that USB dongle would work.. Virtual PC has to see it

3: even if 1 and 2 work.. Speed!!! It'll be a hellroad

Newtek better did another offer for Mac-clients..

They should offer SHake ;-) no, that was a joke..

I heard something about training DVD's instead of DFX for Mac.. They should better offer a program like DFX..

But that has been discussed in another thread allready..

archiea
12-20-2003, 04:01 PM
A PC is so cheap these days you should consider getting one befoe shelling out the bucks for Virtual PC. Your LW is a dual dongle so you can even us LW on the PC if there was a plugin you wanted to try...

SeptemberSnow
12-20-2003, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the answers. I appreciate the advice.

I'll just grump about the DFX thing along with everyone else.

NonPlanar
12-21-2003, 06:51 AM
No Joke... They SHOULD offer Shake.. hehehe :)

Ok, waking up now...

VPC should see USB devices (if you tell it to).

But, VPC is so freaking slow, even simple tasks like web browsing can be a drag...

If you must use DF, getting a cheap PC is INDEED a much better option, and if you're using a vga monitor on your mac, you can share it (and your keyboard and mouse) with a montor switcher... this might be cheaper than to get an extra screen, too.

The cool thing is that Win XP recognizes the Apple USB keyboards very well and maps the command (apple-) key to the Windows key (pulls up the start bar).

Beamtracer
12-21-2003, 09:32 AM
This just goes to show that it's a pretty rotten deal being offered to Mac users if they have to buy a new computer and switch platforms to use it.

It would be better value to buy a different compositing app. There are far better compositing programs that you can get for the Mac.

After Effects (pro)
Combustion

and if you've got a whole lot of extra money, there's Shake.

Even Apple's Final Cut Pro can do a lot of compositing functions.

lonestar1
12-23-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
This just goes to show that it's a pretty rotten deal being offered to Mac users if they have to buy a new computer and switch platforms to use it.

It's just as "rotten" for PC users who already have DFX, or don't need it, or don't want to learn it for some reason. I'm willing to bet less than 50% of PC upgraders will end up using DFX on a regular basis. Most of the copies will probably just end up on shelves.

Get a grip, guys. Newtek isn't cheating you out of anything you paid for. This is a bonus for buying the Lightwave upgrade. Like getting a free Apple music download when you a Pepsi. If you don't like the current marketing gimmick, that shouldn't stop you from drinking Pepsi. If you don't think the LW upgrade is worth the price, don't buy it -- but then, don't complain if PC users have all those cool new features you don't.

eblu
12-24-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by lonestar1
but then, don't complain if PC users have all those cool new features you don't.

wait...
I'm supposed to pay for all of those cool new features, why exactly shouldn't i be angry if I don't get them?
DFX aside, LW has traditionally cost the same on both platforms and delivered less USABLE features on the mac side of things. I think this DFX thing and the Graph editor bug flame war, is really about mac users realizing that we are paying the same money for less stuff from netwek. How exactly does that make mac users whiners?

I haven't really been impressed with DFX, so that never bothered me, but the idea, even the hint of an idea, that I should be grateful for the little work Newtek is doing on the mac PORT of LW, is ludicrous. I pays my money, like every PC user, and I continually get shafted, by a higher percentage of terminal bugs, less working features, less performance optimization, and less attention to quality in the overall product. And they still charge me FULL PRICE!

lonestar1,
sometimes I get irritated by themes that I see in these forums, I just used your post as a jumping off point. Nothing I said is really directed at you... its all just oration.

gentlemen have pleasant holidays,
eblu

Nat Lyman
12-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Can't tell you about DFX, but I have been using Aura under Virtual PC with few problems (other than the fact it is slower than my pc) on my PB G4.

Virtual PC will recognize the usb dongle. I have LW also, but you cannot run Aura on the PC side and LW on the mac side at the same time. When Virtual PC is up, it locks in the dongle on the pc side.

Look at the usb icon at the bottom left of virtual pc, and make sure that the usb token key is checked.

archiea
12-24-2003, 11:05 PM
nat, you can get mirage for the mac.. which is the new version of Aura.. its on sale now at bauhaussoftware.com.... The sale price is just a bit more than what an upgrade for virtual PC would be...

archiea
12-24-2003, 11:10 PM
well, more important for us mac users than getting a free app with the LW upgrade, is just getting 7.5c to work on panther... While initially I blamed the users for just jumping in on panther, its been two months now, no LW 8, and if you use any other pro app on Apple, panther is more important now than two months ago.,..

I see it moreso there the discrepency between mac and PC support than in an upgrade deal...