PDA

View Full Version : Motion Panel - Target Object in slow motion?

Paul_Boland
09-10-2017, 10:38 AM
Hi Folks.

Quick question... In the Motion Panel in Layout, there is a control there, second from the top, called Target Object. This makes the selected object always look at the selected targeted object, so when the targeted object moves, the selected object turns and rotates to always look at it. This movement however is frame-perfect, there is no delay in that look-at movement, the selected objects always looks at the target object.

Is there a way to slow this down, put a delay on it as such, so if the target objects moves fast passed the selected object, the selected object will turn to look at it but slowly over a number of frames. Can this be automated or do I have to animated this manually myself?

ernpchan
09-10-2017, 10:50 AM
You could set up a redundant target motion path that is being controlled by this script. This let's you control the speed via another null.

PathAnimationIA (v2.3)
http://thespread.faulknermano.com/_theoldspread/

jeric_synergy
09-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Another method might be: figure out how to target individual points (RH covers this in his basic node course, free on YT), make a one-point object and apply Inertia to it, parent this one-point object to nominal target object.

There's like seven things that could make this not work, but it MIGHT work. But it would be automatic if it did, and I'm feeling it might be more what you're looking for.

Ernpchan's suggestion I think might require a lot of tweeking whenever you change the path of the nominal target object, but I can't tell for sure. #aflw

++++
Another way to think about this is "how do I limit the skew rate of my item?". That is something that might be more generally applicable. (And which I have zero idea how one would approach.)

pinkmouse
09-10-2017, 12:15 PM
Nodes and gradients, nodes and gradients... :)

Paul_Boland
09-10-2017, 08:08 PM
Another method might be: figure out how to target individual points (RH covers this in his basic node course, free on YT), make a one-point object and apply Inertia to it, parent this one-point object to nominal target object.

I got it working. Didn't follow your example exactly above but that is what put my thinking in the right direction. Basically I used Follower. I used a null as the Follower object and have it following the main target object. I then make my objects that I want to look-at-target, look at the Follower object and the result is great!

Thanks to all for the help.

jeric_synergy
09-10-2017, 08:31 PM
#aflw Does follower have some sort of lag built-in?

Paul_Boland
09-10-2017, 08:34 PM
Yes, you can set a delay and some randomness to it too.

jeric_synergy
09-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Neat. Good solution.

I'd still ... wonder how one would do a "Target-with-limited-skew-rate" rig, but it would be wholely academic. Good puzzle though. :thumbsup:

For instance, this would be good for targeting "anti-spacecraft" turrets, to help explain why they miss so much of the time. The heroes' ship, at any rate.