PDA

View Full Version : Flat UI Elements Attract Less Attention and Cause Uncertainty

Ernest
09-05-2017, 10:03 PM
https://www.nngroup.com/articles/flat-ui-less-attention-cause-uncertainty/

Some interesting points on a new UI study. Although AI'm not sure that it matters so much for 3D app interfaces, since they have so many buttons.

magiclight
09-06-2017, 03:17 AM
With any software that has lots of buttons I would think the important thing is what the button actually look like, if there is no easy way to remember what a button without text do it's going to be bad, I like tooltips (not LW status rubbish where you have to look at the bottom of the monitor, a text that popup next to the button that gives a short text telling what the button do), that is very nice until you learn the buttons.

sadkkf
09-06-2017, 07:40 AM
One of the primary rules of usability is to clearly indicate what items the user can interact with and how. On a website or software, this means making buttons, fields and other elements stand out from the background and surrounding elements.

When a mouse hovers over an element, something needs to indicate to the user that element can be interacted with. This can mean changing colors (could be bad for accessibility), changing the cursor or changing the style of the element with a different border or background.

I can go on about this, but I believe flat elements are not a problem. It comes back to the design. Always back to the design and making it usable to people.

jeric_synergy
09-06-2017, 09:32 AM
I've begun to appreciate cursor shape changes A LOT, especially in highly modal software. Because the CURSOR is one (moving) point that you're almost always looking at.

And: +1 on 'real' tooltips.

FTM, I like layered tooltips: 1) quick reminder, 2) longer reminder (paragraph), 3) direct link to appropriate Help.

shrox
09-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Having to guess what various hieroglyphics mean is not a time saver. What do the wavy lines and triangle mean?...

sadkkf
09-07-2017, 07:16 AM
What do the wavy lines and triangle mean?...

So you can find the buried treasure on a miniature map, of course. :)

Danner
09-07-2017, 07:37 AM
It's the 5th UI Element.