PDA

View Full Version : V-Ray and Lightwave

rcallicotte
09-05-2017, 10:59 AM
What are the semblance of opportunities someone might expect to see a V-Ray plugin for LW? Not sure about the status of the new LW. But, like the idea of seeing some decent plugins reinforced, so I'm asking. Please don't smother me in smashface. :)

jwiede
09-05-2017, 11:08 AM
I believe it hurts LW not to have Vray available, if that's what you're asking. Your question was a bit unclear.

rcallicotte
09-05-2017, 11:14 AM
I am just wondering what is in the air, if anything on its development. You all have your ear to the ground much more than I do, though I understand we don't know what's going on in general. So, that was it - is there any possibility someone has said they will develop it? I looked into the LWtoA development, only to find it is not available right now and Solid Angle isn't doing it. So, I'm curious about LW. I own Modo...so V-Ray could be something I care about from that angle, but would rather (MUCH rather) do V-Ray from LW.

TheLexx
09-05-2017, 11:30 AM
Unless something is already in the works and being liaised, I'm taking a guess that this would be the worse time to develop a VRay Lightwave plugin, simply because LW Next is an unknown quantity on the rewrite front and could break a new plugin. But I only hear good things of VRay. LW Next compatibility would be awesome, especially with a VRay GPU version. Having said that, their own LW renderer is being rewritten and may herald some pleasant surprises.

rcallicotte
09-05-2017, 01:48 PM
V-Ray has always been very impressive, I agree. I can't wait to see what LW Next does and I can always hope & pray some good plugins take full advantage of it.

MichaelT
09-05-2017, 03:01 PM
I think it absolutely hurts LW to not have a VRay version for it. Especially since so many studios use it as standard. But it is not a requirement.. Many use Renderman as well.. etc.. In the end, all that matters is how well the rendered material behaves in comp.

jwiede
09-05-2017, 05:17 PM
I own Modo...so V-Ray could be something I care about from that angle, but would rather (MUCH rather) do V-Ray from LW.

The MODO V-Ray integration is very well implemented, IMO. Smooth as native in most cases, with only a few "requires-schematic-connection" extreme oddities. CG did a really, really good job, and they've been very attentive to addressing MODO V-Ray issues raised in the Foundry or V-Ray forums. It's not unusual to see a bug cited one day, then fixed and released in a nightlies build within the next day or two.

rcallicotte
09-05-2017, 08:31 PM
jwiede +1

MichaelT - yes, I agree - it's the artist, after all...you're right.

Niko3D
09-06-2017, 02:49 AM
FYI...days ago I wrote to Corona Team asking how they decide a new plugin...and if, after joining Vray Team, they still are interested in Lightwave in some way...this is the answer, so please contact any developers that you know!I think this could be a good moment for start a collaboration...

We are definitely interested in Lightwave as a platform, especially taking into account how many requests like this we are getting from its users.
Once the Lightwave development is started, we will announce it publicly, so currently the best idea is to track our social media channels such as Facebook page, forum, and blog.

50one
09-06-2017, 03:53 AM
That's a good, polite answer, nothing more.

rcallicotte
09-06-2017, 07:30 AM
I hope Corona Rendering could be possible in Lightwave! I'll contact them to let them know I'm interested as well.

We also need to keep this sort of innovation (kept up to the present version at 1.2!) - http://www.euriskostudios.com/es/plugin_pages/vRoom.php

3dworks
09-06-2017, 11:15 AM
i would be interested potentially in a corona plugin as well, but the problem is that for any developer it would be kind of an adventure to start programming for a platform which nowadays has a totally obscure development status. i fear that almost no developer will start a larger plugin development at this stage and wait until/if a new version will be released. after all, there are most likely significant SDK changes connected to a new release, which would make a lot of development work obsolete very soon. another problem could be that our platform is almost perceived as 'dead end' when seen from outside. that was also one of the reasons why nextlimit after many years dropped LW support for version maxwell V4.

i agree with others here, the only option we have nowadays is to contact them personally and show that LW is still alive! and the other hope is that soon lightwave 3d group will make some reliable official statement about the next LW version.

my 2 eurocents - cheers

markus

Chris S. (Fez)
09-06-2017, 12:48 PM
the problem is that for any developer it would be kind of an adventure to start programming for a platform which nowadays has a totally obscure development status. i fear that almost no developer will start a larger plugin development at this stage and wait until/if a new version will be released.

The Lightwave brand has been driven into the abyss. I hope it works out but I'm done defending LW Group.

allabulle
09-06-2017, 12:59 PM
The Lightwave brand has been driven into the abyss. I hope it works out but I'm done defending LW Group.

Good to know. Thanks for your input. :)

Chris S. (Fez)
09-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Good to know. Thanks for your input. :)

Since 5.5 I have convinced quite a few professional contacts to purchase Lightwave. The number of those licenses still being used: 2, including mine.

Next will hopefully jump start the third party market but...honestly...you think there are enough active Lightwave users for Chaos Group to invest in a Vray-for-LW plug?

allabulle
09-06-2017, 02:14 PM
A fast and reliable geometry engine, good instancing and weight maps painting in Layout along with Vray with its shaders could be attractive. Why not?

I don't know LightWave's sales numbers or the current amount of the userbase, and neither do most other people outside NT/LWGroup. So I can only speculate.

Our moods and speculations won't affect much the outcome of the current situation. I'm not sure things are going particularly brilliant, but I'll refrain myself from posting my uninformed concerns. My concerns are real, but still lack tangible and accurate data. So I don't think it would help. Beyond that I'd feel unmaturely venting. Other's perceptions may be different, and it's fine.

I take your comment with good humor, but I wasn't trying to mock your statements or any other's. I wanted to say that just in case. :-)

rcallicotte
09-07-2017, 07:47 AM
For Corona support (to me) -

Hi Rob,

Thank you for contacting us. We are definitely interested in Lightwave as a platform, especially taking into account how many requests like this we are getting from its users, but currently we are focused on the development of Corona for 3ds Max, C4D, and Sketchup. Additionally we are making it Mac-compatible. Once the Lightwave development is started, we will announce it publicly, so currently the best idea is to track our social media channels such as Facebook page, forum, and blog. I will also save your email address and contact you once any news are available.

Niko3D
09-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Ahahahhahah!It's exactly the same answer...

50one
09-07-2017, 10:31 AM
Loke I said, polite answer, nothing more

BERSEKAEL
02-13-2018, 09:36 AM
What are the semblance of opportunities someone might expect to see a V-Ray plugin for LW? Not sure about the status of the new LW. But, like the idea of seeing some decent plugins reinforced, so I'm asking. Please don't smother me in smashface. :)

That is an old question, from the good old LW years (when was a popular software), and we all wanted LW to get to the next level. Vray right now would be an opportunity for Newtek to rescue Lightwave...
Now if you love modeling in LW, here are some good options for your final render in your pipleline:

-sketchup+Vray
-Modo+Vray
-FormZ+Vray
-Cinema 4D+Vray
-Maya+Vray
-3ds Max+Vray
-Blender+Vray
-Rhino+Vray

some of them have 30 days trial, including Vray trial.

"I miss modeling in LW, but I don't miss rendering in LW, I bet FPrime would be a good portal for Vray, who knows, maybe is too late"

tischbein3
02-13-2018, 03:29 PM
-Blender+Vray
don't know about the others, but for this one it must be said, that since it does use the standalone
version you don't have live previews... wich is imho a big throwback workflow wise.

gar26lw
02-13-2018, 04:11 PM
That is an old question, from the good old LW years (when was a popular software), and we all wanted LW to get to the next level. Vray right now would be an opportunity for Newtek to rescue Lightwave...
Now if you love modeling in LW, here are some good options for your final render in your pipleline:

-sketchup+Vray
-Modo+Vray
-FormZ+Vray
-Cinema 4D+Vray
-Maya+Vray
-3ds Max+Vray
-Blender+Vray
-Rhino+Vray

some of them have 30 days trial, including Vray trial.

"I miss modeling in LW, but I don't miss rendering in LW, I bet FPrime would be a good portal for Vray, who knows, maybe is too late"

I'd like to see FPrime for LW again. I' buy that for a dollar (+several more)

Vray for LW? I think there is more chance of Peebler coming back to LWG, unfortunately.

samurai_x
02-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Vray for lw would have been nice a few years ago. Its too late now CG isn't interested with lw.
Redshift for lw is IMHO the only thing that could alleviate the slow renderer in lightwave 2018. Octane is there but its slower, too.
I don't know if Juanjo is still interested in lightwave.
Maybe just to support the remaining octane users.