PDA

View Full Version : How old are LW'ers?

sami
09-05-2017, 04:04 AM
So seeing the crotchety ranting and dinosaur fear of the future in some of the posts, methinks the median age of LW'ers is probably around 57. But let's run a poll as see for sure. :ohmy:

So - just how old are you?
(the forum poll has a limit on entries so just choose your age range - no cheating please - we want you to be proud of the dues you've paid)

I'll post Lightwave's new name when the poll is over...

alexs3d
09-05-2017, 05:54 AM
fantastic idea for a poll, excited to see the final results :)

Otterman
09-05-2017, 05:59 AM
Think we have the final result, all remaining 9 users have their votes in!....oh no wait were down to 8 one just keeled over with old age.

50one
09-05-2017, 07:09 AM
Hey I'm the youngest here! Woohoo!

Bunch of old farts.
MWAHAHAHA

SeaWiz
09-05-2017, 07:47 AM
I resemble that Remark! Looks like I'm the oldest so far.:rolleyes:

rustythe1
09-05-2017, 07:50 AM
looks like I'm in the norm, funny I would have thought it was younger, then again we probably all aged that much since the last upgrade (as I derail the thread LOL)

roboman
09-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Was that mental or physical, my girlfriend says I act like a 12 year old.... Says that's why I like to draw cartoons.

VermilionCat
09-05-2017, 08:38 AM
I resemble that Remark! Looks like I'm the oldest so far.:rolleyes:

You sir, are amazing.

Chernoby
09-05-2017, 08:58 AM

SeaWiz
09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
You sir, are amazing.

Learning more all the time. Always improving the way I model and animate. What's amazing is my dad is 92 and still going strong.

squarewulf
09-05-2017, 10:10 AM
Hey I'm the youngest here! Woohoo!

Bunch of old farts.
MWAHAHAHA

not any more

;)

Otterman
09-05-2017, 10:18 AM
Hey isn't Dick Van Dyke (91) a lightwaver according to Newtek? Ha, never believed that marketing BS

hypersuperduper
09-05-2017, 10:18 AM
GenX-ers 3D software of choice, apparently.

erikals
09-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Hey isn't Dick Van Dyke (91) a lightwaver according to Newtek? Ha, never believed that marketing BS

he is actually. mostly a hobbyist, but wouldn't you say that counts ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1J9kfDCAmU

it counts. ;-)

Over
09-05-2017, 11:57 AM
That gap in 34-37... :)

erikals
09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
so true, what's up with that ? :) :)

rustythe1
09-05-2017, 01:43 PM
that would have been "Core" all the young new people probably left for Modo, version 11 came along and got a few back, and then I know a lot of people held off on 2015,
it actually paints a realistic picture I think, the middle people probably got into it around Babylon 5 and so on when it was widely used,

Ernest
09-05-2017, 01:57 PM
so true, what's up with that ? :) :)

If we correlate the ages with LW versions, those in the 42-45 bracket were of College age during the 5.6 with a free upgrade to [6] days (I would know). So 38-41 were probably of College age during the LW7 days. So 34-37 would be the ones who were of College age during the days of LW8, which had unprecedented levels of negativity and pessimism. Then a huge resurgence in 30-33, who were probably of College age during LW9, then a drop during the Core/LW10 era. Then 20-25 would fit with LW11 and 18-21 are in College age now, during the LW2015 era.

Schwyhart
09-05-2017, 02:12 PM
I started using LW with version 9.6 while in college. I was around age 19. I went to Maya during University, then MODO after graduating. Now I'm back with Lightwave. I'm 28.

JamesCurtis
09-05-2017, 02:13 PM
I'm 62 and got into LW at the very beginning. I was most likely in my upper 30's. I think.

MarcusM
09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
If we correlate the ages with LW versions, those in the 42-45 bracket were of College age during the 5.6 with a free upgrade to [6] days (I would know). So 38-41 were probably of College age during the LW7 days. So 34-37 would be the ones who were of College age during the days of LW8, which had unprecedented levels of negativity and pessimism. Then a huge resurgence in 30-33, who were probably of College age during LW9, then a drop during the Core/LW10 era. Then 20-25 would fit with LW11 and 18-21 are in College age now, during the LW2015 era.

Count this - i am 30 and started with 5.6 :)

Over
09-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Well, none of that applies to me. I was all Autodesk until recently.

So, 8 people in the forums around my age...

shrox
09-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I am olde...

Nicolas Jordan
09-05-2017, 08:19 PM
I'm 37 and started using Lightwave back when I was 19 as a hobby/interest and then professionally at age 27. I think Lightwave needs more younger users to survive long term. Once all of us old guys die off that's the Lightwave customer base gone. ;)

Surrealist.
09-05-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm 37 and started using Lightwave back when I was 19 as a hobby/interest and then professionally at age 27. I think Lightwave needs more younger users to survive long term. Once all of us old guys die off that's the Lightwave customer base gone. ;)

Old guy?

Seriously? :D

fablefox
09-06-2017, 12:34 AM
I know LW for a long time (as in kids, as my older brother sometimes buy magazines on computer graphics) and I also later bought 3D World magazine starting #1 and use whatever free software provided on the CD-ROM (later DVD). Carrara 5 and Carigali TruSpace was my go to app for a while, specially when Microsoft backed TrueSpace.

There was this book about making short anim using LW with kung fu tiger and bamboo on the cover. This made me interested with LW. But we all know what happened with LW9. I also dabble with Blender (introduced to me with 3D World #2. At that time it can actually generate game for PS2).

But LW 10 when I actually an adult with a day job (and a night student for degree) made me interested with LW - with my eyes on CORE.

Oh well....

fablefox
09-06-2017, 12:45 AM

I agree. And we are around the same age.

Interestingly, Blender is popular among kids for the fact that it was free.

sami
09-06-2017, 12:54 AM
he is actually. mostly a hobbyist, but wouldn't you say that counts ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1J9kfDCAmU

in the video he says he was paid to do a motorcycle stunt composite in Diagnosis Murder - so he's a professional. Wonder if he's still kicking the CG? He's 91 with a wife younger than this crowd it seems :)

sami
09-06-2017, 12:58 AM
Amazing that this poll took off - I didn't think anyone would pay attention and I was wrong about the median (unless the font of the forums is too small for the other old timers to vote).

Seems I'm doing NT's marketing research for them and that probably should get me a free license of LW Next ;)

Either that or I get to name it... hmmm ...given the results how about:

Lightwave Senior

or

Lightwave AARP Edition ??

sami
09-06-2017, 01:09 AM
Nobody under 25 would be in a forum I guess (or heard of Lightwave)

erikals
09-06-2017, 01:23 AM
Nobody under 25 would be in a forum I guess (or heard of Lightwave)
...so this is why we get the "LightWhat?" remarks...  :)

CaptainMarlowe
09-06-2017, 02:43 AM
I'd guess younger people woukd go straight to FB lightwave groups...

gerry_g
09-06-2017, 04:01 AM
so people who got into LW7/8 in their mid twenties constitute the bulk of the demographic, being now in there late thirties to early forties, as nothing new has happened to LW since v8 its hardly surprising there are no younger people, the program simply isn't current enough.

Asticles
09-06-2017, 05:11 AM
So nobody in college

alexs3d
09-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Im 39 right now and did start with 3d about 22 years ago, in the age of about 16 - 18, i started with "monzoom 3d" but got interessted in lightwave cause i heard the M&M commercials and scifi series are made with lightwave ;) , so i bought a student version of lightwave and felt in love with it.

but i also switched to modo for a time, started from version 1 - 8 but selled it a fiew years ago, cause i never really felt in love with i like lightwave ;) , also bought CORE and was optimistic, then the comeback with LW 11 and i was addicted again til now - waiting for NEXT

i am also only a hobbiest, never earned money with lightwave ;)

rustythe1
09-06-2017, 05:33 AM
So nobody in college

There should be as many universities here in the UK now teach it, just look at the shows this year such as Nottingham, again, this shows that FB etc is more used by people, especially younger generations, its also evident when you see who subscribes to your own FB and Youtube channels, I get 2 or 3 requests a week asking about what software I used from these places, so people on forums don't see a properly painted picture of LW, its also evident by the showreals here, there is at least on current film in the cinema posted here, so its still used in mainstream production,

Asticles
09-06-2017, 05:51 AM
I don't understand this facebook fever, try to look for a tutorial posted some time ago in facebook...

Forum should exist always, until something better arises.

lardbros
09-06-2017, 05:54 AM
There will be college students using it, maybe they don't think of entering the forum? Or are doing cooler stuff with their time ;)

rustythe1
09-06-2017, 07:58 AM
There will be college students using it, maybe they don't think of entering the forum? Or are doing cooler stuff with their time ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4X0bB5pIIs

well here is what some of those students at Nottingham are up to!

Hail
09-06-2017, 10:23 AM
not any more

;)

And your reign is also over, young dinosaur. :D

meatycheesyboy
09-06-2017, 11:51 AM
I'll join in on this fun...

38, started when I was in my mid teens with pirated copies of 3d Studio (not max) and Lightwave 5.5K (or maybe it was L, not sure what the letters meant or if they were just in my pirated versions). Later moved on to Softimage (not XSI) then dabbled in Houdini and C4D for a bit. Currently I use Lightwave 2015 and Zbrush for most of my work, which is mostly hobby with a bit of paid mixed in... Oh, and I guess I should say I don't pirate software anymore. LW 7 was the first version I bought!

erikals
09-06-2017, 12:03 PM
40, and like you i bought LW7.
started with KPTBryce in 94, understood nada, then used Amapi3D in 95, understood nada.
finally saw colleagues using LightWave in 96. OpenGL took it to a new level.

Kids these days have no idea how lucky they are, with tons of help on forums/video help.

meatycheesyboy
09-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Kids these days have no idea how lucky they are, with tons of help on forums/video help.

I actually feel the opposite way. I feel like when I try to learn something nowadays, I watch some videos, tell myself I understand, but don't actually understand anything. In ye olde days when I had no one telling me which buttons to press, the knowledge was more "earned" and thus stuck better. I'm sure there's a happy medium that is the sweet spot.

erikals
09-06-2017, 12:11 PM
yes, i'm thinking more in the cases of when i meet a "Mission Impossible" challenge  :)
back in the days, if you were stuck, tried to make it work, but couldn't no matter what, you were pretty much totally stuck.

IKBooster for example. none would've learned anything if it weren't for Larry/Colin/Ryan

gerry_g
09-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Yes the video age transformed my understanding of most things, only problem I have is staying awake to the end. Amapi on the other hand was a case of figuring it out the hard way, hate manuals, don't think I've ever read the entire LW one to this day.

meatycheesyboy
09-06-2017, 02:44 PM
yes, i'm thinking more in the cases of when i meet a "Mission Impossible" challenge  :)
back in the days, if you were stuck, tried to make it work, but couldn't no matter what, you were pretty much totally stuck.

IKBooster for example. none would've learned anything if it weren't for Larry/Colin/Ryan

I definitely hear you on that one. I am fearless at work in telling my boss yes to anything he asks for in After Effects because I'm always fairly confident that I can get close because of the wealth of knowledge floating around on the web. But it does mean that if I need to edit any projects 3 months down the road, I have to re-learn all the expressions I learned for that one project. :)

fablefox
09-06-2017, 10:18 PM
I actually feel the opposite way. I feel like when I try to learn something nowadays, I watch some videos, tell myself I understand, but don't actually understand anything. In ye olde days when I had no one telling me which buttons to press, the knowledge was more "earned" and thus stuck better. I'm sure there's a happy medium that is the sweet spot.

You need better videos.

Ton Roosendal (?) or was it someone else complained once about this. I think it related to Andrew Price tutorials. The filmic tutorial is one, and recently the uv unwrapping (he didn't use one of the blender provided tools). It's when even the popular ones are riddled with "issues".

My day job is DBA. And oh yeah, once in a while you will me something new (to you). And you google for solution. And because a lot of people also write their own "tutorial" after following other people "tutorial" just because it solve the issue for them, you will find all kind of 'fact' and 'solutions'. Out of 20 web pages, maybe 1 can actually teach, solve, and explain the issue correctly.

The same with books, online videos, and yes - even lecturers! Did you ever go to a class, listen to the prof, and went WTF? and dropped it early or apply to other prof classes if available.

Heck, even tutorials from legendary people. In this case, they know what they are doing, it just that they doesn't know how to teach and convey it. Just read the complaints.

My 2 cents.

samurai_x
09-06-2017, 11:11 PM
That graph tells me Newtek needs new younger people to be interested to try out lightwave.
Userbase is old and more than half are in their 40's and up. That's not a good sign.

sami
09-07-2017, 12:30 AM

The only college students using Lightwave are hipsters doing so ironically... and they're also saving their scene onto floppy drives too.

sami
09-07-2017, 12:41 AM
That graph tells me Newtek needs new younger people to be interested to try out lightwave.
Userbase is old and more than half are in their 40's and up. That's not a good sign.

This is true. It was obvious before but this sampling even if adjusted for forums and not social media still skews high. This "let them release it when it's ready" spiel is just garbage. Everyone here will be dead by then and the universe may be close to its heat death.

Why is there no sense of urgency (or continuous delivery) for LW dev? I can't wait forever - the small 3DCoat team outpaces LWDG in revolutionary new features and cool UI by far!

sami
09-07-2017, 12:44 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and take another stab at the new name:

Lightwave Get Off My Lawn™

raymondtrace
09-07-2017, 07:37 AM

I'm one of those in the 40s. I learned LW on Amiga in college. College is where one has the guidance and the time to dive into the complexity of 3D. I cannot even afford the time to learn Blender now.

NewTek would be wise to focus on getting LW in front of college and high school kids.

DrStrik9
09-07-2017, 10:39 AM
So seeing the crotchety ranting and dinosaur fear of the future in some of the posts, methinks the median age of LW'ers is probably around 57. But let's run a poll as see for sure. :ohmy:

Good idea. Regarding fear of the future, this is not necessarily age-related. I know some guys even older than me (and that's DANG old!) who have NO FEAR of ANYTHING AT ALL. :+)

shrox
09-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Good idea. Regarding fear of the future, this is not necessarily age-related. I know some guys even older than me (and that's DANG old!) who have NO FEAR of ANYTHING AT ALL. :+)

Fear. I think I heard about that concept in a movie once. Might have been a book (for you youngsters, a "book" is like the internet, but made from a tree.)

GraphXs
09-07-2017, 07:27 PM
41...learned LW on the amigas in college. Video Toasters...then once v4 came to pc..on a P90...i maxed out my ccards to get it for home...along with dancing monkey (the orginal name of after effects before adobe) As well as the dc30 and 4gig s3 drive for video stuff...been upgrading for a long time...so glad i didn't buy a sgi. (well really could never afford one)

shrox
09-07-2017, 07:49 PM
41...learned LW on the amigas in college. Video Toasters...then once v4 came to pc..on a P90...i maxed out my ccards to get it for home...along with dancing monkey (the orginal name of after effects before adobe) As well as the dc30 and 4gig s3 drive for video stuff...been upgrading for a long time...so glad i didn't buy a sgi. (well really could never afford one)

I almost bought an SGI indigo, saved the ad and looked at it for weeks. A few years later at when I landed at Sega, one was being used as a doorstop to my office...