PDA

View Full Version : Import MoCap file from Brekel Face into Lightwave for Facial Animation

frankgelm
09-04-2017, 12:42 PM
Hello,
I have Kinect and Brekel Body and Face. I have managed to retarget Brekel generated BVH files to a Genoma rig by using the Genoma retargeting plugin.

To my knowledge, unfortunately such a retargeting tool doesn't exist for the facial expression and lip movements.

I tried to use the Brekel Face generated fbx file to import via Load items from Scene, as I read that fbx also includes endomorph information. I used the identical name for the body parts of the fbx, but the imported information were not
linked to the endomorphs.

Does anyone have experience with Brekel Face import into Lightwave and can give some clues what to do ?

Many thanks.

Frank

Surrealist.
09-05-2017, 04:38 AM
Might make a difference what version FBX it exports to. But FBX imports with blendshapes as endomorphs if I chose File/Import FBX. Try that rather than load scene or load from scene. I usually get my FBX out of Maya or MotionBuilder. Not sure how well it works coming from Brekel Face.

frankgelm
09-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply.

My conclusion is that the import from Brekel Face into Lightwave doesn't work. I tried it several ways and also renamed the endomorphs that they can be recognized by the fbx import.
In the meantime I also tried a workflow with Blender: I imported the character with renamed endomorphs via fbx from Layout to Blender. A very handy tool (s.https://youtu.be/On_DF6Z8xqw) allowed
for the transfer of the morph details of the Brekel face file to the imported character via bvh. When I wanted to re-import the character from Blender to Layout with the new mocap data via fbx, I got stuck again.
I didn't manage to save the Blender animation with shape keys into fbx.
So currently at a total loss.

Surrealist.
09-05-2017, 06:45 PM
I think it is because they are using an older version of fbx. Presently we are at 2014 and above.

If you are having success in Blender you might try mdd out of Blender. With forethought and preparation you could rig a way for the head object to follow the base bone below the neck. Setting mdd to object space allows you to move the object.

Surrealist.
09-05-2017, 10:15 PM
And by the way I am assuming your head object comes with neck bone animations. So basically having the root of the neck bone follow the chest bone or whatever it is connected to in your rig would allow you to run the neck and above as an mdd file and keep the body as bone animations. Of course clothing with a way to cover the neck separation would be needed.