PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for photogrammetry software: PC and/or Android

jeric_synergy
09-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I have a perfect situation in which to experiment/play with photogrammetry, albeit without a budget.

Have any recommendations for PC/Android apps that can take/make snapshots and spit out a mesh? This is of the interior of a steel-framed building.

Tnx.

kyuzo
09-03-2017, 02:42 AM
Is the steel mesh something that could be modelled? Or is it an irregular framework?

If you want a free photogrammetry workflow, i keep coming back to VisualSFM and Meshlab. Dont know how well it will handle 'nooks and crannies', but ive had reasonable success with it.

Svenart
09-03-2017, 08:48 AM
Im using photoscan from agisoft and I can say that it was worth the money so far (standart version).

jeric_synergy
09-03-2017, 09:38 AM
I think once upon a time I had 'photoscan' from somewhen on my pc. Haven't seen it in years...

I did see another whole website on using VisualSFM and Meshlab, so I guess I'll try that first. This is a VERY simple building: just one big box, 3 stories tall. But the s/w needs to work from the inside of the structure, so something that works from a 'photosphere' or two would be ideal. The important thing for this application is the spacing of the girders.

(Modeling it would take a lot less time than FINDING the photogrammetry software, but this is more for experience than for $$$.)

+++++++
Pro version of agisoft= $3500. Man, for that it should give you a backrub and a foot massage too.

Chernoby
09-03-2017, 05:40 PM
I know Autodesk blows chunks... but you can always get the ReMake free version or just say you're a student and get the education license for free... because in the end aren't we all students... students of life...

https://remake.autodesk.com/about

jeric_synergy
09-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Seems like there's a lot of overlap between reMake and reCap.....???

sami
09-03-2017, 11:45 PM
Im using photoscan from agisoft and I can say that it was worth the money so far (standart version).

I agree -I found it very easy to create good models - but only from inorganic, textured objects. Faces never worked (they turned out bumpy all those micromovements between shots you'd be surprised how breathing and subsurface pulse affects tracking) because I only used 1 camera (and not dozens of dslrs synced together which is the way to do body scans - but that's a $250K rig).

Architecture worked fine - unless there were big blank white walls, shiny metals and or transparent surfaces. Otherwise it was great - but you may find these photogrammetry limitations pop up more than you expect. But photoscan is an excellent program - don't need the expensive pro version unless you are doing aerial topography.

Btw 3DCoat is an excellent addition to photogrammetry as you can take the million poly textured mesh output and autoretopo it to a reasonable poly sized model for animating or use in games.

sami
09-03-2017, 11:48 PM
Pro version of agisoft= $3500. Man, for that it should give you a backrub and a foot massage too.

just to recap the pro features aren't really needed unless you are doing helicopter footage for huge swaths of land and doing Geo stuff. I think the other version price was a couple hundred when I got it and certainly saved me that in my time for sure

tischbein3
09-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Well then don't look at the price for a perpetual license of reality capture....;)

+ one for a standard license of photoscan.

Chernoby
09-04-2017, 10:20 AM
Seems like there's a lot of overlap between reMake and reCap.....???

Yeah. reCap is better for drone footage surveying landscape stuff. reMake has built in mesh prepping.

I have used reMake on rocks and cliffs and got good results. I have not tried reCap.

XswampyX
09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
There was a post here somewhere about photogrammetry and a rock that gave greats results. Try :- http://www.regard3d.org/ and the latest version of MeshLab.
It inspired me to create this...

That's the raw mesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6eqW6yk50k