PDA

View Full Version : Former Aura users now with Mirage using DFX?

apex
12-20-2003, 04:39 AM
I was curious if there was anyone in the community who did the LW8 upgrade with DFX+, who used to use Aura but switched to Mirage when Aura was dropped and now uses DFX+ and Mirage together? The reason I ask is because of what the LW/Aura pipeline was going to be with Aura 2.5b before it was dropped and DFX became a bonus bundle with the upgrade to 8. It seems to me that DFX+ is similar to Premiere and Mirage is similair to After Effects. DFX and Mirage seem to be very different in what they offer inside. I have seen many people who use Premiere and AE together in their workflow and was wondering if DXF and Mirage is a similar workflow? I guess the bottom line question is, is it worth owning both? I am downloading the demo of Mirage and DFX is on its way, but I have no experience or knowledge of making anims or movies yet, but plan to soon so please, talk to me like I'm a 6 year old. Thanks.

kenrem

Aegis
12-21-2003, 06:35 AM
I think DFX+ and Mirage is a killer combo (I have both) - DFX+ is great for hard-core compositing but Mirage nicely fits the bill for less complex compositing - much simpler and far more intuitive. Of course the volumetric effects and particle system along with the incredibly powerful FX stack come in handy too ;) I find I use Mirage a lot more on a day-to-day basis than DFX+ even though it's a great tool.

My entire toolset is based around VT[3], LightWave, Mirage and DFX+ and with them I can handle just about any job that comes across my desk...

apex
12-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Aegis, thanks for responding. I knew someone had to be using both. I have poured through countless threads here, cgtalk and bauhaus' to find even the slightest bit of info regarding my question, thus my post. I'm still trying to download the Mirage demo w/o getting kicked off and DFX should be here tomorrow. I figured as much that there is a useful need for the 2 and the way you summed it up, solidifies my impression of the 2. Thanks again.

Liber777
12-21-2003, 08:10 AM
If you can justify the cost, I HIGHLY recommend getting the additional modules for DFX+. The advanced colour correction, 3D particle system, make for a very powerful visual effects system.

Warmest,
Stivan

apex
12-22-2003, 04:59 AM
Liber777- I can justify the cost if needed (at 12.9 APR) for the additional modules but what I am having trouble with is I am approaching this situation with complete ignorance of deciding whether both apps will do or if I concentrate on the free one (DFX). Again, I have never really done any animation but am planning on doing so soon and I don't mind spending if I am getting the right tools for the job. Mirage has a several features which have gotten my attention including particles, volumetric lighting, filters and the Mirage to LW pipeline for painting meshes that was in development with Aura2.5. I was planning originally on doing the Aura thing until NT dropped it. I guess I will just mess around with the two over the holidays. Thanks again.

kenrem

Liber777
12-22-2003, 09:32 AM
You might want to download the demo for Digital Fusion as well as the tutorial material, since that will give you an idea of what working with DFX+ with all the modules is like.

There are also a lot of extremely powerful high-end plug-ins available for Fusion, and it's also compatible with most After Effects plug-ins.

The combination of Aura/Mirage and DF would be very sweet indeed, especially if you do any hand-drawn 2D animation. With Lightwave, you've got everything you need.

apex
12-23-2003, 01:17 AM
Thanks again. I'm printing out the manual for Mirage now so I can familiarize myself a bit with it. I never gave a though to downloading the demo of DFX since my copy is on its way, but if it's got all the modules in it, then I think it's worth a look. Great idea. Thanks.

kenrem

Notepad
12-23-2003, 08:14 AM
Just curious, how much are the additional modules for DFX+?

I can't seem to find any pricing information on them anywhere.

Liber777
12-23-2003, 09:57 AM
$995 for the upgrade from NewTek OEM with modules 1 and 4. Got to eyeon's site, click on 'Buying' and then 'Current Pricing' and scroll about two thirds of the way down.

By the way, does anyone know of a comprehensive list of new features in Mirage 1.0 over Aura 2.5? Curious to know if the upgrade is worthwhile...

Thanks,
Stivan

apex
12-24-2003, 03:58 AM
Liber777- Here (http://www.bauhaussoftware.com/mirage_features.php) is what Bauhaus has on their site, I'm sure you've seen it and here (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/02-12-03a.html) is what Newtek showed in the final upgrade. Never did hyperlinks before so hopefully it worked. I found the one for Aura on Newteks old forum (http://forums.newtek.com/discus/index.html) . Hopefully it worked although not much info about it.

kenrem