PDA

View Full Version : conform to background

vonpietro
08-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Hi

I"ve got a rocket, and i want to paste riviets onto it.

what would be the best way to get the rivets to conform to the slope of the rockets hull?

I though there was a conform to background function somewhere but thats for morphs.
any ideas?

thanks

i have heatshrink - but wasn't able to make the rivets snap to the hull

i did find place mesh - but no idea how to use it.

rustythe1
08-27-2017, 12:15 PM
place mesh, you put the rivet at xyz zero, have it facing up the y and everything bellow y will be behind the mesh you place it on,
put your main object in the foreground, have your rivet in the background, click place mesh and you should get a cursor on your foreground mesh that roughly follows the mouse, click and it places, if you click and hold you can move the mouse side to side and up and down to change both the scale and rotation of the placed mesh, I don't think you can move the placed mesh at this point, but undo does work in this tool

Surrealist.
08-27-2017, 01:15 PM
You can also make curves from parts of your mesh and use rail clone along the curve.

prometheus
08-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Mike Greens Mg ultimate clone is also something you may want to look into...

http://www.mikegreen.name/Lscripts.html#Ultimate_Clone

If you use place mesh, remember, the original rivet should be at origin point, or zero ground..it uses that at a starting point from the main objects poly normal when you place your mesh, and you can use populate..though form regular riveting, I suspect MG ultimate clone is better...place mesh and populate seem to yield twisty positions on the rivets, while MG ultimate clone respect poly normal direction and position better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbPJNgZCXwM

vonpietro
08-27-2017, 01:52 PM
super help, thanks guys. I will try both methods.

I completely forgot the spline method =)

first time playing with place mesh - is that a 2015 modeling tool?

prometheus
08-27-2017, 02:06 PM
super help, thanks guys. I will try both methods.

I completely forgot the spline method =)

first time playing with place mesh - is that a 2015 modeling tool?

Trust me..go for mg ultimate clone.
Place mesh was there for 11.5, more useful for placing stuff manually with rotation and scaling options, but doesn´t seem to be good for regular uniform cloning as mg clone does, using place mesh will get you in trouble due to non regular uniform cloning.

The old clone tools like particle clone and point clone plus, will not respect any normal, Mg ultimate clone does.

raw-m
08-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Don't forget about Instancing on Layout, too. The Instance Genorator can make an excellent modelling tool, esp for cloning or if your source object needs to be redesigned.

prometheus
08-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Don't forget about Instancing on Layout, too. The Instance Genorator can make an excellent modelling tool, esp for cloning or if your source object needs to be redesigned.

I was about to suggest that..It has cons when it comes to implementing dynamics though ...and maybe some texturing.
But otherwise. ..why not.
There's a prometheus ship by Russell tawn that used instances for thrusters.

vonpietro
08-28-2017, 12:11 AM
in the end instances won out - =)137777

vonpietro
09-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Can you say paint a map of where you want the rivits to lay on the UV of say the rocket, and paint out hull squares, and then have instancing snap to each dot in the map?

Kryslin
09-10-2017, 10:04 AM
Hmm, I think you could. It would require the use of nodes. The problem I see is getting multiple rivets on the same spot, if the texture map isn't of sufficient resolution...

And it does work... kind of. You'll need a really hi-res B&W map to do it, though, using a single pixel for each rivet. Plus, you'll need to figure out how to keep instance from overlapping.

vonpietro
09-10-2017, 02:12 PM
So far i just used the normal center - and it was good enough, but not ideal. I"d love to be able to make square boxes and have rivits follow the square.