PDA

View Full Version : Surface Presets Not Like They Used To Be

massmusic
08-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Been away from LW for a while, but upgraded to 11.6 from 10 and installed on a new system before taking a break.

Recently fired up the new system created a model (text) tried to surface it using a preset and discovered there are no presets to load.

Examined my system folder and they are there with a .pst extension. Go to Windows/Surface/Presets and I can see the presets with all the associated image files. I can load all surface preset from that window, but that isn't the way it used to be. So I checked some YouTube vids and in all the vids I see, the surface editor works for them exactly as I expect it should work for me. In the surface editor, I should be able to choose my object, choose the surface, click load and should be presented with the type window I see in the surface preset tab. All problems I've seen on the forum about not being able to load surfaces addresses node based surfaces. I'm not using nodes. I just want to load a surface and apply it to my objects.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

MonroePoteet
08-26-2017, 03:56 PM
When you're in the Surface Editor (F5) with a Surface selected, press F8 to bring up the Presets shelf. The pull-down at the top (showing the default Built-in) has the preset types (e.g. Metal, Nature, etc.).

mTp

gerry_g
08-26-2017, 05:31 PM
sometimes I have to click on surface ball icon in the Surface Editor window to get things to show up in the preset shelf, it can often show as blank when you first open it, this could just be a Mac thing though maybe it works better on widows

prometheus
08-27-2017, 02:28 PM
I do not see any particular issue with surface presets, you should right click the surface panels preview window and set refresh rate to automatic, it doesnīt matter if you load a preset though even if it is set to manual, the preset preview should update anyway..where it does matter is when you tweak settings like bump and color etc...so no reason to have it to manual really.

What can be troublesome, if you are in modeler, opening the surface panel is the shortcut F9...while in Layout it is F8, makes no sense to why the developers made two different shortcuts for it?
and you also need to click on F5 or the surface editor button for it to properly recognize the F9 key command.

by default you will only get the default smooth surface preset, you need to go to the surface presets drop down menu and choose preset folders, to note, you can not add your own presets in that location, those are locked and protected and is located in lightwaves folder, while your own presets will be placed in your own user documents folder for presets.

- - - Updated - - -

sometimes I have to click on surface ball icon in the Surface Editor window to get things to show up in the preset shelf, it can often show as blank when you first open it, this could just be a Mac thing though maybe it works better on widows

not with standard layers and windows, on mac I donīt know, I do suspect that nodes however doesnīt seem to update properly.

gerry_g
08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
yeah yeah yeah young man, I did ad the caveat that I was on the Mac (good to hear it works better on Windows) and yes it is set to automatic by default, so you do not need to do anything to enjoy this luxury, BUT on a MAC it tends to show up blank more often than not on first launch particularly in layout and giving the the preset ball a nudge usually does the trick