PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup Model - Surface Selecting in Modeler

tcoursey
08-24-2017, 09:58 AM
I may be doing something wrong but it seems when I get Sketchup models that are fairly complex the surfaces are in the thousands! This boggs modeler way down on every command.

I know of the SELECT BY SURFACE, but the surface names from Sketchup are suffixed by a _1 and _2 etc. So Stone_1 and Stone_2 even though the surfacing is the same are different surfaces.

I need a way to do a wildcard selection of sorts, so I can make all of that geometry "Stone" or something.

Anyone with thoughts, or plugins or scripts that I could look at? Thanks for any thoughts.

tcoursey
08-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Well, well, well...it may be in the LW FBX importer. I open the FBX in Modo and do not see all these extra _1 surface names. I'm going to test another FBX I have and see, but my new method may be open FBX in Modo then export as LWO and begin work in LW. Wow... :(

ianr
08-24-2017, 11:03 AM
You will find that the SketchUp inporter on Modo is newer having been updated since Lightwaves.
But sketch up files where nortoriously bad at giving out good geometry, not LW's Fault.

does your Modo copy pull in SketchUp textures properly yet, let us Know?

tcoursey
08-24-2017, 11:46 AM
You will find that the SketchUp inporter on Modo is newer having been updated since Lightwaves.
But sketch up files where nortoriously bad at giving out good geometry, not LW's Fault.

does your Modo copy pull in SketchUp textures properly yet, let us Know?

The geometry has always been as decent as the modeler doing the models. I usually DOUBLE side everything to fix the normals, those are not always uniform.

Textures come in just fine having T layers applied etc. But in LW there are tons of extra surfaces and they have been assigned to geometry during the import I guess. Because they are not in Sketchup that way or imported/exported from Modo that way!

I have a new work flow I guess!

GraphXs
08-25-2017, 05:29 AM
Are you importing the mesh into modeler as a single layer? Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but if it is imported as seperate layers,maybe that is why it is creating multi-materials? Never really had this issue in modeler, but I don' use sketchup.

I know layout would have this issue with materials when generating all the meshes on import (if they weren't "attached": "one object" in package X).

tcoursey
08-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Are you importing the mesh into modeler as a single layer? Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but if it is imported as seperate layers,maybe that is why it is creating multi-materials? Never really had this issue in modeler, but I don' use sketchup.

I know layout would have this issue with materials when generating all the meshes on import (if they weren't "attached": "one object" in package X).

Yes I'm using Modeler, and almost always use SINGLE layer. I might try multi layer import and see what it does. There would be hundreds of them, but if I cut and paste as the first option that might help. Good thought.

Otherwise for now I can also import into Modo, export LWO and off I go as I would expect. Shame, but works.