PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jerry

djwaterman
08-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Surely worth noting. A master filmmaker and comedian/writer of the modern age. He was old, it was time, funny to the end.

Markc
08-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Jerry who? :stumped:

RudySchneider
08-21-2017, 12:11 PM
Jerry who? :stumped:

Jerry Lewis!

gerry_g
08-21-2017, 03:56 PM
do you really think he was good, on stage with a live audience in his early years with Dean Martin sure he was terrific but on film he was just self indulgent and boring, he needed the audience its what he played off of, without them he was lost

djwaterman
08-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Stand-up is one thing, but on film with all the tricks available in that craft, he was able to really push the limits of the art and what a comic performer could get away with, pushing that 4th wall and still staying believable and true to character.

JamesCurtis
08-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Jerry Lewis was a true comedian, he didn't need dirty words or sex to tell his story. He also helped to get billions of dollars to help with victims of muscular distrophy. He will be missed! I sincerely hope that there will be a tribute film fest run on TV somehow and somewhere in his honor.

SBowie
08-22-2017, 07:17 AM
do you really think he was good, on stage with a live audience in his early years with Dean Martin sure he was terrific but on film he was just self indulgent and boring, he needed the audience its what he played off of, without them he was lostConsider him a pioneer in that medium. As the genre became more sophisticated, so did expectations. He was quite gifted at physical humor, in particular, not a simple thing to carry off (Peter Sellers is the only one in his league in this respect imho). As to the rest, even with the passage of time I'm not sure I wouldn't sooner watch him than, say, anything Adam Sandler has done in recent years.

jeric_synergy
08-22-2017, 07:56 AM
In one of his movies, the gag is he's bumbling about a museum, knocking vases off pedestals and repeatedly catching them JUST before they hit the floor.

Even with editing, it was an impressive physical feat.

(I'd rather watch paint dry on a wall than ANYthing Sandler has ever done, including SNL skits.)

scallahan1
08-24-2017, 07:04 PM
I always remember him in "Who's Minding The Store". I always crack up when the lady gets her bloomers sucked right off of her. :)